Thread: Own Goal in rugby...

Veteran
    vCash

Own Goal in rugby...

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/...rugby-own-goal

there is video on the link above

I am surprised that this is a conversion. not sure of the Laws of conversion, but the ball didnt touch the ground, and did go between the posts... so i guess so?

Own goals are, unfortunately, an occupational hazard for defenders in football.

But an overenthusiastic Scottish teenager has managed to score a vanishingly rare rugby version and deny his team a win.

As a last-minute conversion kick from the opposition was falling off target, the player for Hawick Youth under-18s, based in the Scottish Borders, took a triumphant but wild swipe at the ball.

Sadly for the scrum-half, his intervention diverted the ball over the posts and, quite rightly, the referee awarded the two conversion points to their rivals Gala Wanderers, meaning they drew a game 33-33 that they had been about to lose.

The club remained sanguine, posting a video of the moment on its social media feed.

“The game went to and fro,” said the Hawick Youth assistant coach Elliot Jack, 56. “The conversion was the last kick of the game. The boy went out thinking he was just going to kick the ball – unfortunately, it flew off his boot and in between the posts. These things happen – it was an accident.

“The referee called the two captains and the coaches over and explained the situation. There was dead silence in the rugby pitch, because nobody knew what was happening – and then there was a big roar when he gave the conversion.”

Both Hawick and Gala were surprised but saw the funny side of it. Jack said: “The camaraderie started after – it became a real good laugh. The boys went out with some of the Gala players afterwards and they dressed our player up in a Gala kit.

“I spoke to someone who’s been involved in rugby for more than 60 years. He said he’s never seen anything like it and has no doubt that some of the young players will never see anything like it again. It’s not about winning, it’s about the boys having fun and enjoying their time in rugby.”

The referee, Malcolm Changleng, said he had not witnessed anything like it in his 30 years of officiating and watching rugby.

He told BBC Radio’s Good Morning Scotland: “You can’t get an own try because if you take the ball over the line and dot it down, then the opposition get an attacking scrum.

“But if it goes over your own post and you’ve kicked it over, I suppose that’s technically an own goal.”

He added: “Their wee scrum-half will learn.”

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    Conversion, penalty goal and dropped goal

For any goal to be successful, the ball must be kicked over the crossbar and between the goal posts without first touching a team-mate or the ground.

https://www.world.rugby/the-game/laws/law/8

(I looked it up earlier in the week when I saw the video clip on Reddit)

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    His name wasn't Dunning by any chance??

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    "The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

(formerly known as Coach) Your Humble Servant Darren's Avatar
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jargan83 View Post
    Conversion, penalty goal and dropped goal

For any goal to be successful, the ball must be kicked over the crossbar and between the goal posts without first touching a team-mate or the ground.

https://www.world.rugby/the-game/laws/law/8

(I looked it up earlier in the week when I saw the video clip on Reddit)
    Surprised the rules are specific about the ball touching a team mate rather than touching another player. Good call by the ref

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Dear Lord, if you give us back Johnny Cash, we'll give you Justin Bieber.

Veteran
    vCash
    yeah, very specific. What a way to win!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Darren View Post
    Surprised the rules are specific about the ball touching a team mate rather than touching another player. Good call by the ref
    I guess that's to stop a teammate attempting to help the ball over without discouraging defenders from attempting to block the kick.

C'mon the

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GIGS20 View Post
    I guess that's to stop a teammate attempting to help the ball over without discouraging defenders from attempting to block the kick.
    That would only be possible if you had the Road Runner on your side; meep-meep..........vrrrrrmmmmm.

"The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by shasta View Post
    That would only be possible if you had the Road Runner on your side; meep-meep..........vrrrrrmmmmm.
    Defenders charge conversions all the time and I have seen (albeit a bloody long time ago) a kick that was barely clearing the crossbar caught by a defender before crossing the plane. (I think a lock, who was lifted to make the play)If the defence can rush the kicker and negate the score by touching the ball I can absolutely think of a situation where a coach would want you to try.

C'mon the