Thread: English referee Wayne Barnes retires days after first World Cup final

Immortal Contributor The InnFORCEr's Avatar
    vCash

English referee Wayne Barnes retires days after first World Cup final

Wayne Barnes has vowed to ensure future referees are supported after he confirmed his retirement less than a week after receiving death threats following the World Cup final.

Barnes was the man in the middle for South Africa’s win over New Zealand in Paris, but he was subject to horrendous online abuse after he sent off All Blacks captain Sam Cane.

The top English official, 44, was always likely to bring an end to his career after the France tournament and there is no suggestion he has quit because of the threats he’s received.

Barnes wants to ‘advocate for referees’ in his next role and ‘ensure match officials across the globe not only have a collective voice but also the appropriate support network for them and their families, particularly as online abuse have become far too regular for those involved in the game.’

Barnes is the most-capped referee in international rugby history having been the official for 111 Tests between 2006 and this year’s final. He refereed at a record five World Cups.

‘Over the past 20 years, I have been in the middle of some of the greatest rugby matches in history,’ said Barnes. ‘I have seen some of the world’s best players and worked with some of the finest coaches the game has ever produced. People often say you will know when it is the right time to retire and this is clearly the right time for me and my family.’

England wing Anthony Watson, who didn’t play at the World Cup after suffering a calf injury, has signed a deal to rejoin Leicester.

Watson, 29, appeared to have left the Tigers when his contract expired in the summer. It was expected he would bring an end to his Test career and move abroad.

But he has now committed his future to English club and international rugby in what is a big boost for his country’s head coach Steve Borthwick.

George Ford and Bevan Rodd are the first of England’s World Cup squad members to return to club duty in the Gallagher Premiership.

Fly-half Ford and prop Rodd both start for Sale against Gloucester on Friday, as does Argentina hooker Agustin Creevy who is set for his Sharks debut.

The British & Irish Lions have confirmed their 2025 tour of Australia will be shown on Sky Sports.

https://www.msn.com/en-au/sport/othe...8686e5f0&ei=76

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    80 Minutes, 15 Positions, No Protection, Wanna Ruck?

Ruck Me, Maul Me, Make Me Scrum!

Education is Important, but Rugby is Importanter!

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by The InnFORCEr View Post
    Wayne Barnes has vowed to ensure future referees are supported after he confirmed his retirement less than a week after receiving death threats following the World Cup final.

The top English official, 44, was always likely to bring an end to his career after the France tournament and there is no suggestion he has quit because of the threats he’s received.
    Nope, nothing here to see, nup, we're not making any links, look away, look away...

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Burgs View Post
    Nope, nothing here to see, nup, we're not making any links, look away, look away...
    Although OTOH he's fourty friggin four and the amount of miles he needs to put into the legs to ref a World Cup final would have most considering hanging up the boots

C'mon the

vCash
    The death threats are legit disgusting but his retirement was widely speculated about on other Rugby pages and the Rugby sub-Reddit in the lead up to the final.

vCash
    Amen to this!!!! Talkin sense!!!

https://youtu.be/9b8-sA91OsA?si=qC_Ffv3ZlSEV9Wi6

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Great game, Fucken battled right through to the 80!

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Burgs View Post
    For clarity, I was referring to the reporting as being "suggestive", not implying that it was the reason he in fact retired.
    I was already under the impression from media that whatever Final he Refed (depended on England results) would be his last match.

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.