Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

Thread: Storm erupts over NRL club’s raid on Wallabies talent

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Burgs View Post
    Now he will be a footnote in two Codes.
    Well that is one big statement there Burgs. I can't actually think of too many examples of that. OTOH I can name a stack of opposites.
    To be fair to him, if the sauces are accurate. What he trotted out must be pretty much it.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    ‘I’m not doing this to have a crack at rugby’: Why Wallabies star couldn’t say no to Roosters

Danny Weidler
    December 10, 2023 — 5.30am

League convert Mark Nawaqanitawase has dismissed suggestions that his code switch in 2025 is some kind of “up yours” to rugby union in the ongoing battle between the two sports.
    Nawaqanitawase has instead praised Roosters coach Trent Robinson and chairman Nick Politis for the care and understanding they showed in negotiations, saying he is grateful and excited for the opportunity to join such a professional outfit.
    And, as you’d expect with his league contract running out in a Rugby World Cup year in 2027, which will be played in Australia, he is leaving the door ajar for a possible return to rugby – not that it is on his mind right now.
    “I’m not doing this code change in any way to have a crack at rugby,” he said, speaking for the first time publicly since his code switch. “I love the sport and it’s got me to this position in life. To see some of the stuff that is being said is actually quite laughable.
    “I’m not some part of a code war, I’m just doing what is right for me right now, and the opportunity at this young age to play for a club like the Roosters is something that I could not knock back.”
    “That’s just going to depend on how things go over the next couple of years, and if I fall in love with the game like I expect to do,” he said.
    “I’d be silly not to look at things in 2027 when it comes to rugby, but right now that is a long way down the track and a lot can happen in that time. Of course, I wouldn’t rule anything out but, to be honest, the opportunity I’ve got right now is one that not many people my age could hope to get.”
    The obvious name that gets linked with Nawaqanitawase’s move is that of Rooster Joseph Suaalii, who will move the other way to rugby in 2025 on a monster deal.
    “I’ve seen our names are often mentioned together, but I’ve never met him and I’m sure he’s got a lot on his plate right now,” Nawaqanitawase said.
    “Of course, if we ever got the chance to have a chat I’d like that given the link with the Roosters and rugby. I’ve obviously watched everything that he’s gone through.”
    Politis didn’t hold back during the week when he described Nawaqanitawase as a “beautiful young man”.
    “Did he say that?” Nawaqanitawase asked. “He’s the beautiful one – for the way he’s treated me in a short period of time, and the respect he’s given to me and my future. Dealing with him and dealing with Trent Robinson has been a pleasure.”
    He was full of admiration for Robinson.
    “Well I look at what he did for the career of someone like Daniel Tupou,” Nawaqanitawase said. “He was in reserve grade at Parramatta, and now look at where he is with the Roosters. Same with James Tedesco when he came from the Tigers. He’s gone to a completely different level as a footballer under Trent Robinson and I hope that I can learn on and off the field from Trent.”
    The Roosters should be grateful to Nawaqanitawase’s mates, too. He grew up playing for Leichhardt Wanderers in the Balmain juniors admiring Benji Marshall.
    “Yeah, Benji was the man when I was growing up, but my mates were Roosters supporters and they made me crazy about the Roosters as a kid,” he said. “Obviously, I admired a number of their players, but I really watched the careers closely of Israel Folau and the way he played, and of Sonny Bill Williams obviously in the way he came back to the Roosters and made such a huge impact was an inspiration for me.”

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Burgs View Post
    Nawaqanitawase has instead praised Roosters coach Trent Robinson and chairman Nick Politis for the care and understanding they showed in negotiations, saying he is grateful and excited for the opportunity to join such a professional outfit.
    Rugby Australia never stood a chance.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Legend Contributor brokendown gunfighter's Avatar
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jargan83 View Post
    Rugby Australia never stood a chance.
    probably correct

Player
    vCash
    Two young talents being manipulated by self serving men on petty tit for tat agendas …… let’s hope they do ok …..

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4