Thread: Harry Potter: The Force recruit creating his own story

Immortal Contributor The InnFORCEr's Avatar
    vCash

Harry Potter: The Force recruit creating his own story

Wed, Nov 22, 2023, 4:50 AM
    Nathan Williamson

Before you start with the one-liners, take it from the man himself

“I think people think they are a lot more original with the Harry Potter jokes than they are,” Harry Potter said on the inevitable jokes made with the famous wizard.

Don't miss Super Round 2024 in Melbourne from March 1-3. Get your tickets now!

"I think a thousand people have thought that ‘you’re a winger Harry’ has been their own creative chat over the last couple of years.”

The 25-year-old with one of the best names in Rugby has been attracted home to Australia, signing a two-year deal with the Western Force after helping Leicester to an English title

“It was about coming back to Australia and coming to a place, being a part of a project moving on a really exciting trajectory,” Potter told Rugby.com.au.

“I was lucky enough to be a club that was well known worldwide and successful while I was there. It was a really great experience being there.

“The final year over there had some turbulence with the club and coaches leaving, it seemed like a good opportunity to get back to Australia and see if I could do something there.”

The London-born Potter played in a backline stacked with English internationals and it didn’t take long before he caught the eye of then-England coach Eddie Jones.

Potter along with fellow Sydney Uni product and Tiger Guy Porter were linked with an English call-up and whilst Porter eventually debuted against Australia in the first Test in Perth, Potter has always seen himself in the gold jersey.

“I’m very much Australian,” he reaffirmed. “I feel passionately about the Wallabies and Australian Rugby and I wanted to get back to Australia and see what I could make.

“I’ve always thought that if I can play and help a team be successful and then be a consistent, dominant player in that team then the rest will sort itself out.

“My interest now is making the Force a successful team in Super Rugby and I believe we can do that and that’s what motivates me every day. If that Wallabies opportunity arrives then I’ll put all my dedication towards the next time I play for.”

Naturally, any highlight Potter creates will be amplified by the name and if his early form is anything to go by, expect the 25-year-old to be a constant point of discussion in 2024.

Potter was the standout in the Force’s four-match series against the Cheetahs, impressing at fullback.

He can play across the centres and the back three but the departures of Manasa Mataele, Zach Kibirige and Toni Pulu open the door for Potter to most likely start on the wing in the 2024 trials before the season opener against the Hurricanes on February 23.

The arrival of Wallabies Nic White and Ben Donaldson adds quality to a Force squad that missed out on the finals on points difference, with Potter already impressed by the influence of coach Simon Cron.

“He’s a great coach and he’s got a great character around the facility, he’s got the team’s respect,” Potter added. “He’s incredibly driven to make the team better and I think he’s recruited a team and squad that’s going to be of a high quality that will be difficult to get into. “He’s clearly driving to improve the team so I think all of us have a feeling of competitiveness around the squad and wanting to make the team but it’s certainly a high calibre of players that we’ve got.”

https://www.rugby.com.au/news/harry-...-west-20231121

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    80 Minutes, 15 Positions, No Protection, Wanna Ruck?

Ruck Me, Maul Me, Make Me Scrum!

Education is Important, but Rugby is Importanter!

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    The few times he's spoken in the media, it would seem he is well over the namesake!
    Having never watched a single Potter movie, I couldn't care if he was named Shirley Temple...

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    "Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Burgs View Post
    The few times he's spoken in the media, it would seem he is well over the namesake!
    Having never watched a single Potter movie, I couldn't care if he was named Shirley Temple...
    Shirley Temple would have good footwork!

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Don't tell me the sky's the limit when there are footprints on the moon

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sheikh View Post
    Shirley Temple would have good footwork!
    And end a refreshing beverage..

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    "Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.