Thread: Former Wallaby, Reds assistant Jim McKay to lead return of Australian Stockman tour

Immortal Contributor The InnFORCEr's Avatar
    vCash

Former Wallaby, Reds assistant Jim McKay to lead return of Australian Stockman tour

Thu, Dec 7, 2023, 8:45 AM
    Nathan Williamson

Former Reds and Wallabies assistant Jim McKay has been locked in as coach for regional representative rugby side Australian Stockman ahead of their four-match English tour.

McKay served as an assistant for the Reds during their 2011 and 2021 title campaigns, along with joining the Wallabies coaching group in 2013-2014.

Founded in Longreach in 2013, the Stockman is an invitational representative side providing athletic and personal development opportunities for amateur rugby union players from regional Australia.

“I’m looking forward to being involved with Stockman Rugby’s ‘For King and Country’ tour," McKay said.

“Having progressed from grassroots rugby myself, I see this opportunity as a way to connect back into the pathways of the community game and the further development of players, who will be selected for this tour from various competitions across Australia.

“I align with Stockman Rugby’s holistic player development focus and I’m looking forward to building new rugby relationships and working with the group both on and off the field, in particular the group conversations we will conduct around important men’s health topics.

“Rugby and sport in general is such a great vehicle to foster life skills and connect people together as a team. I expect the 2024 squad to rise to the occasion and overcome the challenges they will face in playing quality teams such as Cambridge and Oxford universities.”

The 2024 tour runs from 4-23 October 2024 with a warm-up match and launch event in Sydney, followed by four matches against English club sides.

The 'For King and Country' tour is the fifth run by the team, having previously toured New Zealand (2013), Ireland (2015), North Queensland (2016), New Zealand and Argentina (2017) and Perth (2018).

"Stockman Rugby provides young men from country Australia with a golden opportunity to grow as players and people," Wallabies legend and ambassador John Eales added.

“International rugby tours are a great way to develop life experience, while also testing yourself at a representative level. This is an invaluable, potentially life-changing opportunity for regional rugby players.

“I would encourage all Australian Rugby fans to get in behind the Australian Stockman Rugby Union because it is a great cause.”

Interested players can submit their expression of interest at https://bit.ly/StockmanPlayerSubs

https://www.rugby.com.au/news/former...n-tour-2023127

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    80 Minutes, 15 Positions, No Protection, Wanna Ruck?

Ruck Me, Maul Me, Make Me Scrum!

Education is Important, but Rugby is Importanter!

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Shitbags that's a grueling first half of the itinerary!

2024 Draft England Itinerary:

4 Oct - Squad assembly, Sydney
    5 Oct - Tour launch event, Sydney
    5 Oct - Old Boys night, Sydney
    6 Oct - Game 1 v Sydney club
    7 Oct - Flight to England
    9 Oct - Game 2 v London club
    12 Oct - Game 3 v Cambridge University
    19 Oct - Game 4 v Oxford University
    23 Oct - Game 5 v English club

Largely self funded too, think I'd be getting the usual suspect on the funding line for this one.
    Prime advertising steak for Mr Harvey Beef.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    "Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    The full Media Release from their website-

MEDIA RELEASE - STOCKMAN RUGBY
    6 Dec 2023

FORMER WALLABIES COACH JIM MCKAY TO LEAD AUSTRALIAN STOCKMAN TOUR TO ENGLAND IN 2024

Former Wallabies and Queensland Reds coach Jim McKay will join regional representative rugby side Australian Stockman as head coach for an upcoming four-match tour of England in October 2024.

McKay brings significant experience to the role, as a former Wallabies assistant coach in 2013-2014 and Super Rugby-winning assistant with the Reds in 2011 and 2021 with a decade and 144 games of coaching in the southern hemisphere’s premier rugby competition. He recently joined Noosa Dolphins as head coach for the 2024 Sunshine Coast rugby season.

The club is now calling for expressions of interest from young men across Australia with rural/regional backgrounds interested in the upcoming tour ‘For King and Country’, which will include matches against historic clubs Oxford University and Cambridge University.

Australian Stockman head coach Jim McKay said: “I’m looking forward to being involved with Stockman Rugby’s ‘For King and Country’ tour.

“Having progressed from grassroots rugby myself, I see this opportunity as a way to connect back into the pathways of the community game and the further development of players, who will be selected for this tour from various competitions across Australia.

“I align with Stockman Rugby’s holistic player development focus and I’m looking forward to building new rugby relationships and working with the group both on and off the field, in particular the group conversations we will conduct around important men’s health topics.

“Rugby and sport in general is such a great vehicle to foster life skills and connect people together as a team. I expect the 2024 squad to rise to the occasion and overcome the challenges they will face in playing quality teams such as Cambridge and Oxford universities.”

Founded in Longreach in 2013, the Stockman is an invitational representative side providing athletic and personal development opportunities for amateur rugby union players from regional Australia, with a strong focus on positive conversations around men’s health issues.

Australian Stockman President Shaun Mackin said: “We’re thrilled to have Jim invest in Australian Stockman in 2024. His experience speaks for itself. He will be a great leader and mentor for our young men.

“In partnership with a number of Australian professional players, we provide rugby development opportunities for grassroots players with country backgrounds and use rugby as a vehicle to discuss men’s health issues such as suicide, depression and substance abuse.

We expect these young Australians to leave the Stockman tours as better rugby players and better blokes. Now’s the time for grass-roots rugby players with a rural or regional background to answer the call ‘For King and Country’.”

World Cup-winning Wallabies legend and Stockman ambassador John Eales OAM said: “Stockman Rugby provides young men from country Australia with a golden opportunity to grow as players and people.

“International rugby tours are a great way to develop life experience, while also testing yourself at a representative level. This is an invaluable, potentially life-changing opportunity for regional rugby players.

“I would encourage all Australian Rugby fans to get in behind the Australian Stockman Rugby Union because it is a great cause.”

The 2024 tour runs from 4-23 October 2024 with a warm-up match and launch event in Sydney, followed by four matches against English club sides. The three-week tour will also feature cultural immersion activities along with personal development workshops, with a specific focus on wellness and mental health.

For King and Country is the fifth tour initiative by Stockman Rugby, having previously toured New Zealand (2013), Ireland (2015), North Queensland (2016), New Zealand and Argentina (2017) and Perth (2018).

Interested players can submit their expression of interest at https://bit.ly/StockmanPlayerSubs. Players are selected on ability, potential, strength and fitness markers and character. While Stockman Rugby aims to subsidise some costs through sponsorship and fundraising, tours are largely self-funded by the touring squad.

ENDS

Media resources including photos and b-roll: https://bit.ly/StockmanMedia

Media contact Shaun Mackin - Australian Stockman Rugbyinfo@stockmanrugby.com

Stockman Rugby is an initiative of Little Windmills: the Country Kids Charity, a not-for-profit with three key programs - financially assisting seriously sick and injured children in regional, rural and remote Australia, disaster relief for Australians displaced by natural disasters and the Stockman Rugby Union program.

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

Immortal Contributor The InnFORCEr's Avatar
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Burgs View Post

Largely self funded too, think I'd be getting the usual suspect on the funding line for this one.
    Prime advertising steak for Mr Harvey Beef.

80 Minutes, 15 Positions, No Protection, Wanna Ruck?

Ruck Me, Maul Me, Make Me Scrum!

Education is Important, but Rugby is Importanter!

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    MEDIA RELEASE - AUSTRALIAN SEVENS AND SUPER RUGBY STARS JOIN GRASSROOTS RECRUITS FOR AUSTRALIAN STOCKMAN TOUR OF ENGLAND

6 March 2024

Australian Stockman has announced a 26-man squad for its upcoming ‘For King and Country’ tour of England with former Australian Sevens and Super Rugby representatives enlisted to don the jersey alongside grassroots recruits.

Drawing players with regional and rural backgrounds from across Queensland and New South Wales, the squad will also be bolstered by experienced recruits in dual Olympian Lewis Holland, former Australian Sevens and Queensland Reds flyer Alex Gibbon and former Melbourne Rebels hooker Steve Fualau.

The tour will run from 4-25 October, with a warm-up match and launch function in Sydney, before departing for England to take on historic clubs Oxford University, Cambridge University and Black Heath Rugby, with a final fixture to be announced.

The squad will be led by former Wallabies and Super Rugby coach Jim McKay, who will be joined in the coaching ranks by former Wallabies and Super Rugby prop Guy Shepherdson and assistant coach Mark Cassidy.

Australian Stockman head coach Jim McKay said: “From a significant pool of talented players from across regional Australia, I believe we’ve picked a competitive and well-balanced group to represent Australian Stockman.

“There is a great mix of players from a range of backgrounds, different stories and rugby journeys. When the players and staff don the Australian Stockman logo, we’re representing something bigger than ourselves - not only the values and traditions of this proud team, but also our communities from across rural, regional and remote Australia. This is an opportunity for players to step up and showcase their talents and represent their roots.

“We will be playing a positive, abrasive and enjoyable style of rugby, whilst embracing the traditional values of team sport, namely connecting and bringing people together.

“While the action on the field is important, this tour is also an opportunity to raise awareness around men’s mental health. It’s about coming together as a group for a collective goal and leaving as better players and people.

“We’re looking forward to taking country rugby from the bush to Buckingham as we do our best to represent country Australia on and off the field.”

Australian Stockman is an invitational representative side founded in Longreach in 2013 to provide athletic and personal development opportunities for grass-roots rugby union players from regional, rural and remote Australia, with a strong focus on positive conversations around men’s health.

The ‘2024 For King and Country Tour’ is the fifth tour initiative by Stockman Rugby, having previously toured New Zealand (2013), Ireland (2015), North Queensland (2016), New Zealand and Argentina (2017) and Perth to play the Western Force (2018).

Australian Stockman squad for England 2024
    (Name - Club)

Samuel Callow - Maitland, NSW

Marcus Christensen - Wanderers, NSW

Oscar Cunningham - Queanbeyan, NSW

Ben Damen - Wollongbar-Alstonville, NSW

Jake Douglas - Southern Districts, NSW

Charlie French - Forbes Platypi, NSW

Steve Fualau - Moorabin Rams, VIC

Alex Gibbon - Richmond Range, NSW

Travis Gifford - Warringah Rats, NSW

Lewis Holland - Braidwood Redbacks, NSW (AKA Mr Charlotte Caslick)

Faa Lafaitele - Sunshine Coast Brothers, QLD

Samuel Laffy - Dalby and District, QLD

Edward McGrath - Grafton Redmen, NSW

Jake McPhie - Avoca Beach, NSW

Alex Meades - Wagga Ag College, NSW

Dudley-Thomas Miles - JCU Mariners, QLD

Hayden Pratt - Richmond Range, NSW

Vincent Quigley - Bond University, QLD

Lachlan Robinson - University of New South Wales, NSW

Jayvan Scarff - Hunter Wildfires, NSW

Ryan Schoupp – Woonona Shamrocks, NSW

Josh Schwager - Narrabri Blue Boars, NSW

Eli Sinoti - Tech Warratahs, NSW

Isaac Talbot - Maroochydore Swans, QLD

Nathan Thomson - USC Barbarians, QLD

Riley Turner - Young Yabbies, NSW

ENDS

Media resources including photos and b-roll: https://bit.ly/StockmanMedia Media contactShaun Mackin - Australian Stockman Rugbyinfo@stockmanrugby.com | 0439 336 036

Stockman Rugby is an initiative of Little Windmills: the Country Kids Charity, a not-for-profit with three key programs - financially assisting seriously sick and injured children in regional, rural

and remote Australia, disaster relief for Australians displaced by natural disasters and the Stockman Rugby - Youth Development program.

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

Legend Contributor
    vCash
    Might have thought sponsorship and uniforms by RM Williams...?

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!