Thread: Crowds- Test v BBL

Immortal Contributor
    vCash

Crowds- Test v BBL

Reading through this article and while I'm aware of the justifications being put around re time of week, public holidays, temperatures etc (all justifiable by the sound of it) would it also be the case that many cricket supporters in WA that get behind the Scorchers, wouldn't have Australia as their primary Test team?
    That is, our significant expat communities would support India, South Africa, England, NZ etc as their primary interest?
    With a population of "half" of Melbourne (and much further for visitors), surely that has some significance?
    I've not been in a Scorchers crowd and many years since seeing a Test live, so a genuine question.

https://www.news.com.au/sport/cricke...t=SocialBakers

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    "Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

Legend Contributor blueandblack's Avatar
    vCash
    I support multi-day and one day cricket only. 20 over in any name is rubbish to me.

"12 Years a Supporter" starring the #SeaOfBlue

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by blueandblack View Post
    I support multi-day and one day cricket only. 20 over in any name is rubbish to me.
    Limited overs cricket has become a series of seemingly pointless encounters for the most part - for me at least. But there must be enough avid cricket fanatics about to make these matches viable. I still like to watch the WC's. I used to watch the BBL until they started down the same saturation path but still watch most Scorchers/Finals matches. Just lately I've been "distracted" by watching the Investec Championship Cup.

"The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

vCash
    The first picture in that article, showing poor crowds at Perth also show that the scoreboard reads that Pakistan needs 364 runs, or Australia 2 wickets, to win. So that's after tea on Day 4 on Sunday when the outcome is a foregone conclusion. And the photo shows the stand square of the wicket and in the full blazing sun. Why would anyone sit there? If you look where there's shade, and end-on to the wicket, there's quite a few people.

But Melbourne got ~60,000 for Day 1 of the Boxing Day test. That's a comparable crowd, given the size of the two states, and we got a test starting in the middle of the week on the last day of school (for state schools). Melbourne's test started on a public holiday.

The problem is, however, that we are going to *have* to play any tests we get at Optus, because the redevelopment of the WACA is going to reduce the capacity to ~10,000. That's too small for any test (or BBL) game, but still plenty large enough for the state games. And while you could, technically, play on any other oval used for WAFL, the wicket won't be good enough for international cricket, nor are the facilities designed for the crowds. WA's got local grounds, then the WACA (10,000), NIB (20,500) and then Optus (60,000); there's nothing in between.

Don't tell me the sky's the limit when there are footprints on the moon

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sheikh View Post
    And while you could, technically, play on any other oval used for WAFL
    You've got me wondering what those WAFL grounds would look like on TV during a test match broadcast. Just thinking about which ones would look good on camera, maybe Leederville Oval or Arena Joondalup with the grass banks? Outside of the WAFL, Claremont Showgrounds would look okay.

Bit of a shame WA Cricket couldn't get one of these other grounds ready for a test which was always drawing a small crowd.

Also have to ask, was there any consideration in having it as a day/night test with that weather?

Last edited by chibi; 01-01-24 at 12:12.

Japan and the Pacific Islands for Aussie Super 9's!

Let's have one of these in WA! Click this link: Saitama Super Arena - New Perth Stadium?

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by chibi View Post
    Also have to ask, was there any consideration in having it as a day/night test with that weather?
    I think that's part of the current interstate chest beating, Zemplas suggested it but would run very late for the East Coast.
    Is already finishing in prime time (which that is good at least).

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Burgs View Post
    Reading through this article and while I'm aware of the justifications being put around re time of week, public holidays, temperatures etc (all justifiable by the sound of it) would it also be the case that many cricket supporters in WA that get behind the Scorchers, wouldn't have Australia as their primary Test team?
    That is, our significant expat communities would support India, South Africa, England, NZ etc as their primary interest?
    With a population of "half" of Melbourne (and much further for visitors), surely that has some significance?
    I've not been in a Scorchers crowd and many years since seeing a Test live, so a genuine question.
    Any takers on my original point?

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

Legend Contributor blueandblack's Avatar
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sheikh View Post
    The first picture in that article, showing poor crowds at Perth also show that the scoreboard reads that Pakistan needs 364 runs, or Australia 2 wickets, to win. So that's after tea on Day 4 on Sunday when the outcome is a foregone conclusion. And the photo shows the stand square of the wicket and in the full blazing sun. Why would anyone sit there? If you look where there's shade, and end-on to the wicket, there's quite a few people.

But Melbourne got ~60,000 for Day 1 of the Boxing Day test. That's a comparable crowd, given the size of the two states, and we got a test starting in the middle of the week on the last day of school (for state schools). Melbourne's test started on a public holiday.

The problem is, however, that we are going to *have* to play any tests we get at Optus, because the redevelopment of the WACA is going to reduce the capacity to ~10,000. That's too small for any test (or BBL) game, but still plenty large enough for the state games. And while you could, technically, play on any other oval used for WAFL, the wicket won't be good enough for international cricket, nor are the facilities designed for the crowds. WA's got local grounds, then the WACA (10,000), NIB (20,500) and then Optus (60,000); there's nothing in between.
    I was there on Day 3. Sat in the sun for first 2 sessions and had to move to undercover after that because of the heat.

"12 Years a Supporter" starring the #SeaOfBlue

vCash
    I've touched on this one before, and I think there's a fair bit of truth in that, especially as a lot of non-Australia test fans support the Scorchers. I also wonder whether those fans would drop off if the Scorchers start losing, leaving only the Western Australians behind

Japan and the Pacific Islands for Aussie Super 9's!

Let's have one of these in WA! Click this link: Saitama Super Arena - New Perth Stadium?

Senior Player
    vCash
    it also doesn't help that WA Premier cricket and seniors were still being played the same weekend as the test here in Perth.
    Around Australia test crowds are waning fullstop, much like Rugby, its become quite stagnant when the same players are taking the field for just about every test for the last 2 years.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Rookie
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by boof1050 View Post
    it also doesn't help that WA Premier cricket and seniors were still being played the same weekend as the test here in Perth.
    Around Australia test crowds are waning fullstop, much like Rugby, its become quite stagnant when the same players are taking the field for just about every test for the last 2 years.
    This is definitely another factor and I was shocked when I heard this was the case. There is no rugby in Perth when the Wallabies play or at least all the games are earlier, surely this is just common sense, stupid from Cricket.

Also as mentioned the timing was terrible. A lot of people are trying to finish off work before Christmas and probably don't want to take anymore annual leave as they are about to use a heap over the Xmas break. A lot of factors against the test working. A day nighter would be much better but would not finish until midnight in the East.