Thread: ‘Proven himself on the big stage’: Storm stunt baffles as Honey Badger ‘signs’ on

Immortal Contributor The InnFORCEr's Avatar
    vCash

‘Proven himself on the big stage’: Storm stunt baffles as Honey Badger ‘signs’ on

May 10th, 2024 10:47 am

Former Wallabies winger Nick ‘Honey Badger’ Cummins made a surprise, bizarre appearance at a Melbourne Storm press conference where he was unveiled as the club’s latest ‘signing’ in what appeared to be a publicity stunt.

Prior to the Storm announcing coach Craig Bellamy’s committment to stay on for another season in the job, club CEO Justin Rodski revealed the club had made “a really special signing” that had been “a long time in the making”.

Watch every game of every round this NRL Telstra Premiership Season LIVE with no ad-breaks during play on Kayo. New to Kayo? Start your free trial today >

“We know that code switches don’t happen easily, but we’re really excited to be welcoming the newest addition to our squad,” Rodski said.

“A player that’s got great character, he’s proven himself on the big stage in rugby union. And for us as a club, we’re always looking to do things a little bit differently and look at opportunities to strengthen our squad and our list.

“Today’s that day and we’re pretty excited to be welcoming to the Melbourne Storm … the Honey Badger.”

Out stepped 36-year-old Cummins, decked out in his trademark headband and Storm training gear, in front of reporters.

“Obviously it’s not a decision I make lightly having been sidelined for a couple of years now,” Cummins said, having ended his rugby career in 2016.

“But the way these boys hold themselves, they’re not just motivated, they’re dedicated.

“The opportunity came around, I was like a bull in a china shop, just wanted to go up the guts and into it, throw yourself in and give it everything you can.”

When questioned by a reporter why he was returning to the field, albeit in a different code, Cummins declared he’s “still got a bloody bit of music” in him.

“You’ve got a couple of young blokes I want to show that I can still deliver the goods and push,” Cummins said.

“I know I can add something to the boys with a bit of experience and a bit of passion.”

Cummins added: “It’s a tight group, it’s tight for spots but I’ll do what I can for everyone.

“The boys, how tight they are together, it’s going to be hard to crack that but I know I can. It’s as tight as a fat lady’s sock.

“If I can get in there and add what I can, I will.”

As entertaining as a Cummins code switch would be, it’s highly likely his press conference stunt was for Australian underwear and workwear brand Tradie, who sponsor the Storm.

Cummins has been the face of the company for several years while Tradie are a visible presence on the Storm’s training and playing kit.

https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl...b1fa714feb177e

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    80 Minutes, 15 Positions, No Protection, Wanna Ruck?

Ruck Me, Maul Me, Make Me Scrum!

Education is Important, but Rugby is Importanter!

Immortal Contributor The InnFORCEr's Avatar
    vCash
    Bloody mungos

80 Minutes, 15 Positions, No Protection, Wanna Ruck?

Ruck Me, Maul Me, Make Me Scrum!

Education is Important, but Rugby is Importanter!

vCash
    The Badger probably could have swapped codes back in his day as he was always a willing tackler and runner

Don't tell me the sky's the limit when there are footprints on the moon

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    "Strange" the report didn't use his "tight as a fat lady's sock" quote

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    I'm with TIF.

"The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

Legend Contributor brokendown gunfighter's Avatar
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by shasta View Post
    I'm with TIF.
    no you are not,lol