Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: 2024 Western Force Super W Squad

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Burgs View Post
    Named in training photos but not yet announced-

Katie Barnes
    Kendra Fell
    Out to 25 woman Squad, but these two still not announced which is interesting.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    "Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    I taught Rosie McGehan when she was in Year 8

To say anything more about that aspect of her life will only serve to diminish the respect she has earned by being selected in the squad.

I'll be keen to see how she goes in the environment, she won't take a backward step, of that I'm sure!

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    C'mon the

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Out to 28 Squad, with an impressive 8 mixed Internationals and another 3 Uncapped but Squad selected.
    Starting to shape up as a potentially impressive season ahead.

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    Out to 28 Squad, with an impressive 8 mixed Internationals and another 3 Uncapped but Squad selected.Starting to shape up as a potentially impressive season ahead.
    On the members zoom last night, I asked Dylan who he's most excited by this year and he said the front row.Given that I thought Kashiwagi was awesome last year I can't wait to see that!He also mentioned a couple of times how the girls are having to get used to being "full time professionals" so hoping to see rapid improvement.

C'mon the

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GIGS20 View Post
    On the members zoom last night, I asked Dylan who he's most excited by this year and he said the front row.Given that I thought Kashiwagi was awesome last year I can't wait to see that!He also mentioned a couple of times how the girls are having to get used to being "full time professionals" so hoping to see rapid improvement.
    That is promising mate!
    I think the Front Row and then the Locks have the furthest to catch up to the men's game at the moment.
    In the SRW the normal Prop is quite "large" and unfit, with the odd exception (ie strong and fit) really standing out.
    The majority of Locks are still under 6 foot (Michaela Leonard 5'10") and could really do with an injection from basketball or volleyball.
    For example 2 of 12 current Opals are under 5'11", being the two Guards at 5'6".
    A local example in the Opals, Amy Atwell a Penrhos girl is 6' and 75kg.
    In the most recent Wallaroos Squad there were 2 Locks at 5'10" and 3 x 6'. Weight wise 2 x 88kg, 2 x 85kg and 1 x 82kg.

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Another announcement and we now have 31.
    Still haven't noticed re-sign of Katie Barnes despite showing up in a couple of photos.

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    That is promising mate!I think the Front Row and then the Locks have the furthest to catch up to the men's game at the moment.In the SRW the normal Prop is quite "large" and unfit, with the odd exception (ie strong and fit) really standing out.The majority of Locks are still under 6 foot (Michaela Leonard 5'10") and could really do with an injection from basketball or volleyball.For example 2 of 12 current Opals are under 5'11", being the two Guards at 5'6".A local example in the Opals, Amy Atwell a Penrhos girl is 6' and 75kg.In the most recent Wallaroos Squad there were 2 Locks at 5'10" and 3 x 6'. Weight wise 2 x 88kg, 2 x 85kg and 1 x 82kg.
    I'm not sure that the height issue will be fixed rapidly, much of that will come from genetics and club players won't just magically get taller.The weight and strength equations will change in a couple of years tho.Full time professional training will manage that part of the process and we'll see 18 year Olds signed this year destroying records that were thought impossible in Australia.

C'mon the

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    And that's a wrap, 34 player Squad.
    An impressive 16 of 34 with local roots.

Last edited by Burgs; 15-02-24 at 16:32.
    "Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Announced today, congratulations Trilleen and Michaela-

"Trilleen Pomare has been re-appointed as the Western Force captain for the 2024 Super Rugby Women’s season supported by stand-in Wallaroos skipper Michaela Leonard who has been elevated to Force vice-captain."

https://westernforce.rugby/news/west...cement-2024215

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Force's 2024 Super W squad confirmed with seven extended members

Tue, Feb 20, 2024, 7:00 AM
    Ben Somerford

The Western Force have completed their 34-player squad for the 2024 Super Rugby Women’s season which starts on Friday 15 March.

Over the past eight weeks, the Force have drip-fed out the 2024 signings headlined by Wallaroos duo Trilleen Pomare and Michaela Leonard who will be captain and vice-captain respectively, along with a host of international players and exciting local talent.

Today’s announcement is part of a league-wide Super W release of all six squads, while the Force have also today named a seven-player extended squad; Katie Barnes, Tais Costa Gomes, Tanei Daniels, Nami Dickson, Lucy Dinnen, Zoe Elliot and Paihau Pomare.

The extended squad players can only play if there is a major injury to any members of the Super W squad. Among the extended squad is 2021 Super W Player of the Year Lucy Dinnen who has joined from the Queensland Reds.

The Force also confirms the Club’s 2024 pre-season trial games’ schedule that includes two dates with Tokyo Sankyu Phoenix, followed by clashes with the Rebels in Melbourne and Queensland Country in Perth.

2024 Western Force Super W squad

Emilya Byrne, Sara Cline, Rosie Ebbage, Kendra Fell, Zoe Gillard, Haylee Hifo, Sheree Hume, Tamika Jones, Natsuki Kashiwagi, Saelua Leaula, Nicole Ledington, Michaela Leonard, Keira MacAskill, Rosie McGehan, Hera-Barb Malcolm Heke, Hinata Komaki, Alapeta Ngauamo, Renae Nona, Hannah Palelei, Trilleen Pomare, Ariana Ruru-Hinaki, Anneka Stephens, Pia Tapsell, Libya Teepa, Harono Te Iringa, Brooklyn Teki-Joyce, Dallys Tini, Alanis Toia, Numi Tupaea, Braxton Walker, Aiysha Wigley, Samantha Wood - Seneti Kilisimasi, Siutiti Ma’ake (PacificAus Sports scholarships)

2024 Western Force extended squad

Katie Barnes, Tais Costa Gomes, Tanei Daniels, Nami Dickson, Lucy Dinnen, Zoe Elliot, Paihau Pomare

Force pre-season trial games schedule

Western Force v Tokyo Sankyu Phoenix – Friday 23 February 4:30pm, HBF Park

Western Force v Tokyo Sankyu Phoenix – Tuesday 27 February TBC, Perth

Melbourne Rebels v Western Force, Saturday 2 March, Melbourne TBC

Western Force v Queensland Country, Saturday 9 March, Perth TBC

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

Immortal Contributor The InnFORCEr's Avatar
    vCash
    One of my mates owns Pipeline Technics and he has just become a sponsor of the Force Super W team for three seasons and their logo will appear on the players shorts.

It must be amazing for the team to know that they not only have full time contracts but also great long term sponsors too. I'm sure the rest of Australia and even NZ are watching our set up very closely, we are clearly leading the way in women's rugby.

80 Minutes, 15 Positions, No Protection, Wanna Ruck?

Ruck Me, Maul Me, Make Me Scrum!

Education is Important, but Rugby is Importanter!

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by The InnFORCEr View Post
    One of my mates owns Pipeline Technics and he has just become a sponsor of the Force Super W team for three seasons and their logo will appear on the players shorts.

It must be amazing for the team to know that they not only have full time contracts but also great long term sponsors too. I'm sure the rest of Australia and even NZ are watching our set up very closely, we are clearly leading the way in women's rugby.
    That's great news mate and I suspect very astute investing too.
    I think Women's Rugby is about to take off in WA, even if it is only year 3 for him it will be money well spent on the advertising front, plus any feel-good he/they get from it also.

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2