Thread: SVNS Perth Australian Squads

Immortal Contributor
    vCash

SVNS Perth Australian Squads

Returning stars, debutant headline Australia's squads for Perth SVNS

Thu, Jan 18, 2024, 6:55 AM
    Nathan Williamson

Australia has confirmed their sides for the home Perth SVNS event, with both coaches revealing changes for the third event of the World Series.

John Manenti's side has been boosted by the return of trio Henry Hutchison, Matt Gonzalez and Darby Lancaster.

Hutchison has not featured since succumbing to an ACL injury almost 12 months ago in Sydney, with Gonzalez picking up a rib injury in the opening round in Dubai.

Meanwhile, Lancaster has been cleared by the Melbourne Rebels to play in the event after signing a two-year deal off the back of a breakout season on the World Series.

As revealed by Rugby.com.au last week, Michael Hooper will not feature as he continues to prepare for his Sevens switch.

Nick Malouf will captain the side, missing last year's event in Sydney with an ankle injury.

“It is unfortunate to not have ‘Hoops’ available for Perth, however we are looking to Paris and playing the long game with him – he’s certainly working hard to be ready as quickly as possible," Manenti said in a statement.

“Nonetheless, it is such a massive boost for us to get ‘Hutch’ back. He means so much to us and he does so much for the group on and off the field. As we know, ACL injuries are tough to come back from, and Henry has worked incredibly hard to be able to make it to Perth – it will give us some additional inspiration.

“I want to thank the Melbourne Rebels for allowing us to bring back Darby Lancaster for Perth – he was with us all last season, so I expect it won’t take him too long to get up to speed with the guys; we saw what a great Sevens player he is all last season, so it’s a boost for us to get him back."

As for the Women's side, head coach Tim Walsh confirmed 18-year-old Heidi Dennis will be the latest debutant in the side.

Dennis is a cross-code sensation, originally linked with the Brisbane Roar in the A-League Women's competition before focusing on the seven-a-side game.

Since then, the Queenslander has helped Australia to gold at the Youth Commonwealth Games, coming in for Demi Hayes after her season-ending ACL injury.

“Everyone in the squad is pumped about the opportunity to perform in front of our home crowd in Perth – though we are well aware of the need to be disciplined and focus on our performance," Walsh said.

“We are not an outcome-focused team – we continue to adhere to our philosophy of ‘process and performance’. Our desire is to execute our individual roles and put on a show for Perth and Australia.

“We have selected a strong and experienced team which includes a debutant in Heidi Dennis, who replaces the talented Demi Hayes. Heidi performed incredibly well during preseason tournaments against the world’s best teams in New Zealand and Fiji.

“After a memorable debut in Dubai, Kaitlin Shave went on to score the winning try in the Cape Town Final to make it two from two for the Australian Women’s team. Kaitlin has retained her spot in the team and combines with our other speedsters Bienne [Terita], Faith [Nathan] and Maddi Levi”

Every round of the HSBC SVNS series will be shown exclusive, ad-free, live and on demand on Stan Sport.

Australia Women’s Sevens team for Perth SVNS:

2. Sharni Smale

3. Faith Nathan

4. Dominique Du Toit

5. Teagan Levi

6. Madison Ashby

7. Charlotte Caslick (c)

8. Kaitlin Shave

10. Bella Nasser

12. Maddison Levi

13. Heidi Dennis*

22. Bienne Terita

55. Alysia Lefau-Fakaosilea

65. Sariah Paki

Australia Men’s Sevens team for Perth SVNS

1. Henry Hutchison

2. Ben Dowling

3. Henry Palmer

4. Dietrich Roache

5. Tim Clements

7. Josh Turner

9. Matt Gonzalez

10. Nick Malouf (c)

11. Maurice Longbottom

12. Nathan Lawson

14. James Turner

23. Darby Lancaster

25. Hayden Sargeant

*Denotes potential debut.

Australian Sevens Perth 2024 Schedule
    *All times AWST (AEDT)

Men
    Friday, January 26

Australia v USA - 4:14 pm (7:14 pm)

Australia v Great Britain - 9:13 pm (12:13 am Saturday)

Saturday, January 27

Australia v Ireland - 2:11 pm (5:11 pm)

Women
    Friday, January 26

Australia v South Africa - 3:28 pm (6:28 pm)

Australia v Great Britain - 8:27 pm (11:27 pm)

Saturday, January 27

Australia v Canada - 11:54 am (2:54 pm)

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    "Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Shave’s worldwide journey to sudden Sevens stardom

Thu, Jan 18, 2024, 11:01 AM
    Nathan Williamson

Sevens rising star Kaitlin Shave has reflected on her journey across the world to break into the squad and announce herself as a player to watch.

Shave became the 68th player to pull on the gold jersey for the Women's Sevens side in Dubai after building an impressive Rugby CV.

The Queenslander was a decorated sprinter, taking out the U17 Australian Championship 100m in 2017 with a time of 12.07 before helping the Broncos win an NRL touch premiership in 2019.

The success continued into Rugby, claiming a 10s title in South Africa with the Balkans Honey Badgers at the end of 2022 before emerging as the standout player from the AON Next Gen Sevens series.

Shave's prodigious pace and try-scoring ability caught the eye of coach Tim Walsh, taking her to Vancouver as the 13th, non-playing member of the squad.

Having got a taste of the World Series, the 22-year-old sought further experience in Japan during the off-season, linking up with Tokyo Sankyu Phoenix for four months.

“Being there and learning those girls, how they train and perform and playing against girls that I’ve never played before has definitely helped my skills and awareness of the game," Shave told the media.

“I think coming back and playing Australia A I was definitely on my peak performance. I think it definitely helps to just keep playing games and getting game time under my belt.”

The confidence flourished as Shave got more opportunities on the World Series, linking up with good mate Isabella Nasser for her first try in Dubai as they took out the title.

This culminated in the game-sealing try in Cape Town, stepping up after Maddison Levi's red card with a beautiful in-and-out move to beat French star Anne-Cécile Ciofani and race away.

“It gives me that little boost of confidence knowing I can back myself and I do belong," Shave reflects.

“…I think maybe the old me would’ve be really nervous and have that anxiety before getting on the field but I think the more games that I’ve played, the more calm I feel ever before we get out onto the field.

“Girls (Like Charlotte Caslick and Sharni Smale) like that are big idols and I always look up to them and I try to get alongside them

“It’s really exciting to be out on the field and really learn from them.”

Shave is excited by the chance to play on home soil, with the SVNS World Series heading to Perth over the Australia Day weekend.

“It’s really special to me," she added.

“It’s only my third tournament with the team and any time getting to pull the jersey on is really special. Getting to do it in front of my family and friends is really exciting.”

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    To say I'm (actually we're.. Rugby sweetheart is also stoked) excited by this is an understatement.

Anyway after watching the cute visit Western Australia fromage currently doing the YouTube circles, I just could not help my self...

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    cheers auss...
    fabricarti diem punc

Legend Court Reporter
    Contributor
    vCash
    I'm super excited. I thought I'd have to make the trip over to Singapore to check out the 7s, so stoked it's in Perth. I'll only be able to make the Saturday, but that'll still be ace.

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by James View Post
    ... I'll only be able to make the Saturday, but that'll still be ace.
    There's still going to be some super games on the Saturday arvo when the finals start. You gotta love Sevens for having more finals games than pool games eh?
    ~laughs~

cheers auss...
    fabricarti diem punc

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by antiussentiment View Post
    To say I'm (actually we're.. Rugby sweetheart is also stoked) excited by this is an understatement.

Anyway after watching the cute visit Western Australia fromage currently doing the YouTube circles, I just could not help my self...

Is that our first try scorer lurking in the bushes??

"The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

Champion
    vCash
    I'm told they are training at North Beach Rugby LEAGUE club. Well that's a great promotion for the game. Bloody disgraceful. There must be a rugby club ground available somewhere.

Legend Contributor brokendown gunfighter's Avatar
    vCash
    the french girls were training at Nedlands

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by wholetruth View Post
    I'm told they are training at North Beach Rugby LEAGUE club. Well that's a great promotion for the game. Bloody disgraceful. There must be a rugby club ground available somewhere.
    Probably is a great promo. Maybe all those bloody Mungos might turn out. With around 40 teams in town WR are probably grateful that other sports with adequate facilities are on board.

"The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

Immortal Contributor The InnFORCEr's Avatar
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by brokendown gunfighter View Post
    the french girls were training at Nedlands
    And the Kiwis might be at Nedlands on Tuesday if my mail is correct.

80 Minutes, 15 Positions, No Protection, Wanna Ruck?

Ruck Me, Maul Me, Make Me Scrum!

Education is Important, but Rugby is Importanter!

Legend Contributor brokendown gunfighter's Avatar
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by The InnFORCEr View Post
    And the Kiwis might be at Nedlands on Tuesday if my mail is correct.
    yep,from 10am to midday