Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast

Thread: Strapped Rebels in danger of folding

Champion Contributor sandgroperrugby's Avatar
    vCash
    Considering the rebels situation and the state of the other clubs I wonder if we are operating at a loss.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Generally speaking you aren’t learning much if your lips are moving!!!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by James View Post
    You hate to see that happening to any club. A little frustrating given our history.

I can't help but feel like a lot of bridges will be burned here. Hard to see the Rebels coming back from this one. Perhaps if those Rebels players filtered into the other Aus teams, we'd be better equipped to stick it to the NZ teams.
    Not to be a dick but

Yes that's the easy solution and also the solution that's being trumpeted in certain sections of the press and social media, but it isn't the solution to our performance problems because number of players isn't the cause of our performance problems.

If it was we wouldn't have the vast number of Aussie players playing overseas at the highest level.

Reducing by a team and consolidating into 4 didn't work in 2017 (even for the Rebels, who cherry picked the best of the Force and still didn't improve) and it won't work now.

The paradigm is in need of shifting.

C'mon the

Legend Court Reporter
    Contributor
    vCash
    There isn't a single solution. Can you honestly tell me other teams wouldn't benefit from LSL? Tupou? Leota? The Rebels went from 18/18 in 2017 to 9/15 in 2018. It's an improvement.

Yes, the paradigm needs shifting, but a pretty epic shift is required to fix everything that's wrong with Aussie rugby. Do the powers that be have the wherewithal?

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.

Legend Contributor
    vCash
    Can you honestly tell me other teams wouldn't benefit from LSL? Tupou? Leota?
    I think most teams would benefit from Tupou, if they can get him on the field. So if it was us, which players would you cut to equal value so as to stay under the salary cap, and what would be the performance/depth impact of that through the year...?

You can always count on Australian Rugby - if they go to the trouble of making a mistake, they make sure to make it repeatedly.

Champion
    vCash
    There is a story saying Rebels are now $20m in debt and cost the Vic taxpayers $50,000 every time the use AAMI Park. Anyone seen it?

vCash
    It's on The Australian website but paywalled.

vCash
    There isn't a single solution.
    Sadly that is the truth of it. One solution that comes up frequently is the second tier competition. I'd love to see it, but as has been demonstrated, it's not easy to just invent teams to populate it and engage supporters; even if RA had money to fund it. NZ & RA have that and the history that drives those competitions. Four teams that RA may be able to support might be the only way forward right now.

When I look at the NH with it's large populations & highly interesting mix of concurrently running competitions, it's little wonder that young players on the fringes are attracted there. And little wonder fans are so engaged. Yesterday I watched highlights of a Euro Rugby Cup match - a first time win by Belgium (home) over Portugal - fresh from RWC. Stadium probably half the size of HBF but it was packed to the rafters with very noisy fans.

It's a very complex problem and I honestly cant really see an obvious way to solve it with any certainty.

"The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

vCash
    This is what I could get from beyond the paywall (stole it from the GAGR discussion about the Rebels)

Exclusive: The financial disaster at the Melbourne Rebels’ is double previous estimates, with the club’s long-term future in doubt as debts hit $20 million.

It can also be revealed that Victorian taxpayers are forking out $50,000 each time the Rebels play at AAMI Stadium.

The new details have emerged about the collapsed club ahead of a creditors’ meeting on Thursday.

The Australian Taxation Office (ATO) was owed at least $10 million, which included up to five years of unpaid tax on players’ and staff wages.

Board members were owed as much as $6 million as they put their own skin in the game, while suppliers made up the bulk of the remaining debt.

Rugby Australia has confirmed it will underwrite players’ wages this season, with top star Taniela Tupou signing on for as much as $500,000 this year.

There are questions about the payment of wages to the club’s 40 staff, including coaches and administration team members. Rugby Australia has provided limited funding to pay those wages, but a deal on the remainder of the season was yet to be inked.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyS View Post
    I think most teams would benefit from Tupou, if they can get him on the field. So if it was us, which players would you cut to equal value so as to stay under the salary cap, and what would be the performance/depth impact of that through the year...?

You can always count on Australian Rugby - if they go to the trouble of making a mistake, they make sure to make it repeatedly.
    In 2018 wasn't there a suspension of the salary cap so that the other sides could sign players cut from us? Mind you, with the way rugby's finances are at the moment, there doesn't seem to be the money around to allow the cap to be suspended.

Don't tell me the sky's the limit when there are footprints on the moon

Champion
    vCash
    Thanks and wow. That has to be the final nail.

Legend Contributor
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by shasta View Post
    One solution that comes up frequently is the second tier competition. I'd love to see it, but as has been demonstrated, it's not easy to just invent teams to populate it and engage supporters;
    Yet we have State teams, and City/Country teams, with decades of tradition behind them that are almost never seen any more...

Quote Originally Posted by shasta View Post
    When I look at the NH with it's large populations & highly interesting mix of concurrently running competitions, it's little wonder that young players on the fringes are attracted there. And little wonder fans are so engaged.
    Unfortunately, all the evidence would seem to suggest that European rugby supporters are relatively sophisticated while the bulk of Australian (and to be fair, NZ and SA) rugby supporters are morons who struggle to comprehend time zones and conferences. But particularly Australia, with even having more than one competition a year seeming to be too much for them...overlapping comps would probably give them an aneurysm.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Legend Court Reporter
    Contributor
    vCash

I don't know what their salaries are, but Medrano and Moli aren't Aus eligible. There is a risk with Tupou, but Medrano is often injured as well. Can't speak for Moli, but I thought I read he was looking to work his way into form after an injury lay off.

Personally, I'd be more interested in wingers.

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.

vCash
    O

Unfortunately, all the evidence would seem to suggest that European rugby supporters are relatively sophisticated while the bulk of Australian (and to be fair, NZ and SA) rugby supporters are morons who struggle to comprehend time zones and conferences. But particularly Australia, with even having more than one competition a year seeming to be too much for them...overlapping comps would probably give them an aneurysm.
    With respect Andy, that comment has little to do with the facts or geography of the situation.

Immortal Contributor The InnFORCEr's Avatar
    vCash
    Our old mate Nick Taylor is really getting into this.

It seems Brumbies might be headed for Voluntary Administration as well....

More once the paywall is cleared

80 Minutes, 15 Positions, No Protection, Wanna Ruck?

Ruck Me, Maul Me, Make Me Scrum!

Education is Important, but Rugby is Importanter!

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Might be time to dust off GRR...

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    "Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast