Page 6 of 14 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... LastLast

Thread: Strapped Rebels in danger of folding

Legend Contributor
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by shasta View Post
    With respect Andy, that comment has little to do with the facts or geography of the situation.
    You specifically noted Europe's "highly interesting mix of concurrently running competitions" as the reason fans are so engaged.

I'm merely observing that all the empirical evidence from this neck of the woods is that the majority of Australian supporters struggle to follow both SR and club rugby at the same time, or the NRC and Wallabies in overlapping windows, and can't even manage consecutive competitions like the NRC following on after the conclusion of club/SR. Never mind the mental implosion and widespread supporter disengagement once SR was any more complex that a simple round-robin.

You say interesting, and I'd agree. But all the evidence is that if they had anything like that here, the bulk of supporters would actually see it as baffling and probably distressing. They've struggled with the most basic of changes as the professional environment has evolved; that sort of complexity would probably cause mental health issues.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Burgs View Post
    Might be time to dust off GRR...
    Not a bad idea anyway. I think the Cheetahs series was a stepping stone, and a GRR-style competition could fill the hole left by the demise of the NRC. The Melbourne Rebels/Rising made the finals in 4 of the 7 years of the ARC/NRC.

Don't tell me the sky's the limit when there are footprints on the moon

Legend Contributor
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Burgs View Post
    Might be time to dust off GRR...
    Agree with Sheikh. A great shame this wasn't reviveable as soon as Covid was done, as I thought there was much to be gained on both sides by engagement with Asia. Even more so if it had led to something with Japan, as the first mover in that space might well get to set the rules.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyS View Post
    You specifically noted Europe's "highly interesting mix of concurrently running competitions" as the reason fans are so engaged.

I'm merely observing that all the empirical evidence from this neck of the woods is that the majority of Australian supporters struggle to follow both SR and club rugby at the same time, or the NRC and Wallabies in overlapping windows, and can't even manage consecutive competitions like the NRC following on after the conclusion of club/SR. Never mind the mental implosion and widespread supporter disengagement once SR was any more complex that a simple round-robin.

You say interesting, and I'd agree. But all the evidence is that if they had anything like that here, the bulk of supporters would actually see it as baffling and probably distressing. They've struggled with the most basic of changes as the professional environment has evolved; that sort of complexity would probably cause mental health issues.
    Well I guess we'll agree to disagree. I think those structures, the proximity of the various competitions (with the exception of the United Championship) work in their and their fans favours. And in ZA's case the long haul flights remain, but the time zone factor is less onerous even if the seasonal variations are more so. But the point I was making is that all those factors are some reasons fans are engaged and players are attracted. To broadly make comparisons between that situation and Aus/NZ/Asia is akin to comparing apples with space rocks. They are both generally roundish, and that's about it.

"The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

Champion
    vCash
    Brumbies denying it in a story on The Roar, but let's see. They have denied things before.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by wholetruth View Post
    Brumbies denying it in a story on The Roar, but let's see. They have denied things before.
    According to Sir Humphrey Appleby: Never believe anything until it's been officially denied!

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Don't tell me the sky's the limit when there are footprints on the moon

Legend Contributor
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by shasta View Post
    Well I guess we'll agree to disagree. I think those structures, the proximity of the various competitions (with the exception of the United Championship) work in their and their fans favours. And in ZA's case the long haul flights remain, but the time zone factor is less onerous even if the seasonal variations are more so. But the point I was making is that all those factors are some reasons fans are engaged and players are attracted. To broadly make comparisons between that situation and Aus/NZ/Asia is akin to comparing apples with space rocks. They are both generally roundish, and that's about it.
    But when you said "And little wonder fans are so engaged", you specifically invited comparison between the situation there and ours here. If what you actually meant to say was "When I look at the NH with it's large populations & highly interesting mix of concurrently running competitions, it is a completely different situation and there is nothing at all to be learned from it...", it does kind of change the way the whole thing read.

vCash
    But when you said "And little wonder fans are so engaged", you specifically invited comparison between the situation there and ours here.
    I'm taking the Python option.....
    No I didn't.

Legend Contributor
    vCash

Immortal Contributor The InnFORCEr's Avatar
    vCash
    There is a Herald Sun story behind the paywall claiming the Rebels board expect RA to foot the $10m tax bill.

80 Minutes, 15 Positions, No Protection, Wanna Ruck?

Ruck Me, Maul Me, Make Me Scrum!

Education is Important, but Rugby is Importanter!

Legend Contributor
    vCash
    Well, why not? They've footed the bill every single other time, so why even try to be responsible...

vCash
    Well, why not? They've footed the bill every single other time, so why even try to be responsible...
    To be fair, they did spend all of that money on buying Wallabies "for the good of the game"

if the $10 Mill is just the tax, then the $20 mill is likely to be a conservative figure right?

C'mon the

vCash
    Stolen from GAGR where someone got around the paywall on The Australian:

It’s a more imminent affair for those owed money by failed Super Rugby club Melbourne Rebels, with creditors said to be owed a whopping $20m-odd set to gather on Thursday to hear from administrators PwC, which is now running things.

Rugby Australia, which was being assisted on the affairs of the club by insolvency expert Morgan Kelly from EY, is believed to have called in PwC, with the call ultimately made last week by Rebels director Owain Stone, who is also the finance director of Rugby Union Victoria.

At noon last Thursday, Rebels directors Neil Hay, Lyndsey Cattermole and Stone met with PwC reps before the appointment paperwork to make it all official was signed

Like in most collapses, the Australian Taxation Office is a significant creditor, with the Melbourne Olympic Parks Trust, which runs AAMI Park where the Rebels are based, also expected to be owed a significant amount, with any loss to be ultimately borne by the Victorian taxpayer.

There are several other suppliers to the Rebels that hold security over club assets, including billionaire Kerry Stokes’s Coates Hire, which is controlled by his Seven Group.

There are also several Rebels directors, including so-called angel investor Cattermole, who is a former director of Myer and Treasury Wines, who have committed funding to the club. Ouch.

vCash
    "There are several other suppliers to the Rebels that hold security over club assets, including billionaire Kerry Stokes’s Coates Hire, which is controlled by his Seven Group."

Have to admit, with the trend of 7 West media trolling Twiggy Forrest due to the barney over Westrac I'm LOLing pretty hard that they're both involved in a rugby team and the Whiny one is owed a bunch of money.

I wonder if we'll be seeing any positive rugby stories in the West soon?

C'mon the

vCash
    I also did not know until 10 minutes ago that the Rebels cannot sell any tickets to individual games while under Voluntary Administration, memberships only.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Page 6 of 14 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... LastLast