Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Force Second Trial Squad 2024

vCash

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    Very good hit out yesterday, and besides the heat an enjoyable day out.

Players were very accommodating and happy to chat and mingle.

Despite all the negativity Claremont is a fairly decent place to watch rugby despite being an oval. The amenities are good and the view from the grandstand is better than and more comfortable than most other options .

Donaldson and Harris proving to be astute signings with both cementing their spots.

Stewart and Spink making a great midfield combination with Pasitoa making a great combination with them coming off the bench.

After yesterdays trial, I would think Fines, Donaldson, Stewart and Spink are locked in for the first match, with Pasitoa coming off the bench. White if fit will be on the bench, otherwise it will be the evergreen Prior.

The back three is going to be interesting, with no genuine wing and Burey seeming slightly off the boil.

My choice would be Tiatia or Potter at fullback with the other on the wing, and the other wing spot up for grabs. Poolman was very good yesterday one of his better games, O' Donnell looks sharp and Laehy just does not stop trying, his heart is in the right place. I suspect the Force will stick with Burey at fullback, as evidenced by giving him the final kick of the match yesterday rather than Prior with Potter and Tiatia on the wings. Poolman likely on the bench otherwise a coin toss between Leahy and O Donnell for the bench spot if they go for the traditional 5/3 split.

Forwards is interesting and will depend on fitness and injuries.

Harris has been very good and with Tizzano 8 and 7 are locked in.

Hooker will be either Horton or Katuii nothing to chose between them, Katuii besides the missed throws his around the field play seems to have lifted and he has his spark back again.

Williams will be starting lock and I assume captain. Other close between Franklin and Fiafua,

Close between Anstee and Wells for 6, I think Anstee just a touch ahead at this stage.

Props is a concern, Wagner had surgery this week and Hoopert looked like he had his recently too. Amone is back training but sounds like a bit of work still to be done. Not sure how match fit Moli is but he is a beast and needs to be in there somewhere.

Suspect Pearce and Medrano to start, Moli and Tiaan Takaluaki off the bench.

The two remaining forward spots on the bench will be Anstee or Wells, Franklin or Fiafua baring no others returning from injury or injuries occurring.

3 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Simon Cron: “People talk about winning and losing all the time and they are critical, but there’s a process to get into and it’s the ability to stay present, do your job and execute skills under pressure.”

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Tazzmania View Post

Despite all the negativity Claremont is a fairly decent place to watch rugby despite being an oval. The amenities are good and the view from the grandstand is better than and more comfortable than most other options .
    Half a dozen posts from the same person doesn't add up to a lot of negativity. I couldn't get to the game yesterday, but I was happy with the view for the Cheetahs match there. They moved the pitch closer to the stand than the centre. Happy if they play those matches there again this year.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    "The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

vCash

After yesterdays trial, I would think Fines, Donaldson, Stewart and Spink are locked in for the first match, with Pasitoa coming off the bench. White if fit will be on the bench, otherwise it will be the evergreen Prior.

Did Pasitoa get much game time? 10 or 12? I watched the highlights and Donaldson's attempt at tackling the Brums winger in their second try demonstrates my knock on him - D. I like a big running 5/8 who can hit hard. If the coaches don't see Reejsan there I think he could be just as good at 12.

"The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by shasta View Post
    Did Pasitoa get much game time? 10 or 12? I watched the highlights and Donaldson's attempt at tackling the Brums winger in their second try demonstrates my knock on him - D. I like a big running 5/8 who can hit hard. If the coaches don't see Reejsan there I think he could be just as good at 12.
    Pasitoa ran on at about 60 lined up at 12 and pretty much stayed there, slotting in to first receiver once or twice on set plays, when burey provided an option.I think they see him as a 12, but Hamish has the inside run there.I think there's value in looking at him for 15, but poolman looked a lot better there than on the wing, so maybe they think reesjan to cover the inside backs and poolman the outside is the way to go.Burey seems far better at 10 than 15

C'mon the

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GIGS20 View Post
    Pasitoa ran on at about 60 lined up at 12 and pretty much stayed there, slotting in to first receiver once or twice on set plays, when burey provided an option.I think they see him as a 12, but Hamish has the inside run there.I think there's value in looking at him for 15, but poolman looked a lot better there than on the wing, so maybe they think reesjan to cover the inside backs and poolman the outside is the way to go.Burey seems far better at 10 than 15
    As much as I am a Pasitoa fan, I fear he is destined for the bench until the inevitable mid season injuries come through.
    Hopefully that will leave enough starts for him to prove himself.
    "We" can't afford him not to be starting by the end of the year or he'll start looking elsewhere.

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by todd4 View Post
    https://westernforce.rugby/news/dona...icanes-2024210

Luckily they were able to record the highlights hey... (no telecast)

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    "Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Burgs View Post
    As much as I am a Pasitoa fan, I fear he is destined for the bench until the inevitable mid season injuries come through.
    Hopefully that will leave enough starts for him to prove himself.
    "We" can't afford him not to be starting by the end of the year or he'll start looking elsewhere.
    Reesjan is signed until 2025.

He is building back to full training and intensisty after a serious injury.

I believe that they are playing him off the bench to start the season so that he can continue to build on his recovery in a precise and co-ordinated fashion.

I have a strong feeling that based on his size, kicking ability, and stregnth with ball in hand that by season end baring no injuries to him and other players he may slot into the starting fullback position where he will have a bit more freedom to exercise his talents.

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Simon Cron: “People talk about winning and losing all the time and they are critical, but there’s a process to get into and it’s the ability to stay present, do your job and execute skills under pressure.”

vCash
    Thanks Tazz. I was thinking he'd be back to a full pre-season by now.

vCash
    I agree 15 would be the best fit for Reesjan with our current squad.
    I think he's better suited to that position than Burey & Donaldson, as he's a better runner than both, has the physical attributes to be good under the high ball, and a good, long boot on him.
    Would also give him a good chance of getting into the Wallabies since that position is wide open at the moment.

We've already got 2 excellent options at 12 in Stewart and Kuenzle.
    It would be interesting to know who the back-up 13 is if Spink does down. Kuenzle perhaps?

Last edited by chiraag; 12-02-24 at 12:48.

vCash

I believe that they are playing him off the bench to start the season so that he can continue to build on his recovery in a precise and co-ordinated fashion.

I have a strong feeling that based on his size, kicking ability, and stregnth with ball in hand that by season end baring no injuries to him and other players he may slot into the starting fullback position where he will have a bit more freedom to exercise his talents.
    I think 15 is the perfect spot for him

If that's the way they're thinking I'm on board. Yeah didn't see a lot of evidence to support that on the weekend, however I'm also not privy to the behind doors conversations.

C'mon the

Immortal Contributor
    vCash

I hope all that is being communicated and transparent to him, as being contracted doesn't stop someone looking elsewhere as most immediately evidenced with Pugh. Even if he didn't ultimately leave, he doesn't need the distraction of thinking about it.
    A "Bernie pathway" would be fine by me, a season or two at the back and finishing the odd match in #10.
    Then coming forward to Flyhalf, so long as it is a pathway.
    I believe, if handled right, he is a "Franchise Player" and the further down that pathway we get without short term "fixes" the better.
    Personally I'd still be going 10. Pasitoa, 15. Donaldson, but I understand it isn't going to go that way for now.

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    "Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Burgs View Post
    Personally I'd still be going 10. Pasitoa, 15. Donaldson, but I understand it isn't going to go that way for now.
    I'd also be OK with 10 Donaldson 15 Pasitoa

or

10 Burey 15 Donaldson 22 Pasitoa

or 10 Burey 15 Pasitoa, 22 Donaldson

but I'm not seeing Burey as a great option in 15

C'mon the

vCash
    Starting i'd have

10 - Burey
    11 - Tiatia - LF kicking option
    12 - Stewart
    13 - Spink
    14 - Potter
    15 - Donaldson

Pasitoa off the bench for 10 or 15
    A choice of Kuenzle / Leahy / Poolman / O'Donnel should be able to cover the rest

And please Mr Cron do not even think about giving Wells the captaincy.
    And don't put Prior in the 23 unless there are injuries we don't know about.

Great game, Fucken battled right through to the 80!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3