Thread: The Vultures Start Circling

Immortal Contributor
    vCash

The Vultures Start Circling

Ok, time to get brutal.
    While somewhat surprisingly given the history, I genuinely don't want to see Pro Rugby leave Melbourne.

However, it is not looking good, so what prospects could be on the market by the end of this season and what is their future?

Who would you want the Force to target?

Who would you want the Force to stay away from?

What connections are you aware of that might see a player elsewhere?

Suggest in replying picking up the list below and pasting into your own post, unless obviously you are replying to someone else's post.

2024 Melbourne Rebels Squad

Front Row
    Matt Gibbon

Cabous Eloff

Isaac Kailea

Alex Mafi

Jordan Uelese

Ethan Dobbins

Pone Fa’amausili

Sam Talakai

Taniela Tupou

Lock
    Josh Canham

Luhkan Salakai-Loto

Angelo Smith

Tuaina Taii Tualima

Back Row
    Vaiolini Ekuasi

Zac Hough

Josh Kemeny- Signed to Northampton Saints (England Premier League)

Rob Leota

Daniel Maiava

Brad Wilkin

Halves
    Ryan Louwrens

Jack Maunder

James Tuttle

Carter Gordon

Jake Strachan

Mason Gordon

Centres
    David Feliuai

Lukas Ripley

Matt Proctor

Nick Jooste

Lebron Naea

Divad Palu

David Vaihu

Filipo Daugunu

Back 3
    Lachie Anderson

Andrew Kellaway- Signed to Waratahs

Darby Lancaster

Joe Pincus

Glen Vaihu

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    "Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    2024 Melbourne Rebels Squad

Front Row
    Matt Gibbon 28 and from NSW. Worth a look, given a brief taste of Wallaby gold may want to stay in Australia.

Cabous Eloff At only 25, need to keep him in Australian Rugby to get eligibility. Fourth year in Australia. Worth pursuing given the SA connection.

Isaac Kailea Melbourne origin. Likely would head offshore,

Alex Mafi History at the Reds. If not returning maybe worth a look. Would be in demand overseas

Jordan Uelese Melbourne developed (11 year old). With the sparsity of Hookers in Australia, he will be pursued strongly. Likely to the Tahs to replace Porecki

Ethan Dobbins Queensland origin. Not much knowledge of Dobbins, but will bring interest as a Hooker. Likely to head offshore.

Pone Fa’amausili Melbourne origin. Will bring strong demand Nationally and Internationally. You’d have to try for him, but maybe not throw the bank at it.

Sam Talakai Started in NSW, then Reds, then Melbourne. Not afraid to travel, however, at then 33 may be heading offshore to build retirement package.

Taniela Tupou Would need a sound 2024 without significant injury. Likely will be offered big money offshore which will be hard to turn down. Only the lure of WC redemption (or Lions) might hold him

Lock
    Josh Canham Melbourne lad. By then 24 and a classic Lock (202cm, 115kg) with some decent pace, he will be in strong demand if he has a solid 2024. Depending on Rodda's fitness, would be a good target.

Luhkan Salakai-Loto 40 Cap Wallaby who has returned to Australia to play again, he will be picked up by one of the 4. Would be a great get but perhaps too expensive.

Angelo Smith A decent prospect, however, having played Fiji Under 20's already, he may see his future with Fiji/Drua/Europe.

Tuaina Taii Tualima Born in Brisbane via Auckland, is at risk of falling into "journeyman" status. Needs a really big 2024, otherwise probably destined for Japan or USA.

Back Row
    Vaiolini Ekuasi A good hard player, but most likely to return home over the ditch or head North.

Zac Hough A bit of Pocock about him, suspect will get a lot of offshore interest but worth trying to keep in Australia

Josh Kemeny- Signed to Northampton Saints (England Premier League)

Rob Leota A born and bred Melbournite, he will create a feeding frenzy if coming onto the market. Has a Brumbies feel about him to me.

Daniel Maiava The Victorian origin lad is a big lump. I think most likely offshore.

Brad Wilkin His Under 20's teammate Kellaway has already committed to the Tahs, which may influence him to go "home", but I suspect he will be headed offshore.

Halves
    Ryan Louwrens We have enough +30 year old Scrumhalves in Perth, but maybe a year as backup at the Brumbies. Otherwise he may head back Stateside after exposure through the defunct Gilgronis.

Jack Maunder A handy player, but the Englishman will likely be heading home

James Tuttle With IFL's Wallaby selection, I think Tuttle's time may have passed in Australia. Most likely to head offshore.

Carter Gordon Despite some naysayers, assuming a solid 2024, Gordon will have strong appeal. The Brumbies probably have the least depth and his Larkham-esque characteristics would be attractive there.

Jake Strachan One wonders, if Jake had known the final makeup of the Force 2024 Squad, if he would still have departed. I always felt he was underappreciated post matches and would happily see him return,

Mason Gordon Still to step out from his brothers' shadow. Likely a contender for offshore interest.

Centres
    David Feliuai With strong Samoan roots, he could be finding interest from Moana Pasifika. A good solid running Centre, should gain plenty of interest and would be worth a look.

Lukas Ripley As per Feliuai, will likely head offshore.

Matt Proctor At 32 would likely return to New Zealand for a couple years NPC.

Nick Jooste Hard to believe Nick will be 27 next year. As a local, he may look to return, though would be as Fullback given the Squad we have long term signed. As likely to head offshore.

Lebron Naea By then 21, the Melbourne Club developed prospect will be a more known package. If he has the opportunities to shine, or at least show glimpses, I think he will be hotly contested in Australia.

Divad Palu Another Melbourne product, Divad has been selected in the current Under 20's Squad. Another solid lad, he should have strong competition for his signature in Australia.

David Vaihu Possibly would head back to Queensland, but the hard running Centre who enjoyed some Under 20 success, will be courted by all 4 Franchises.

Filipo Daugunu Having Capped for Australia, Daugunu might be up for a move West and would be an awesome sight out wide on our developing backline. He will have no shortage of interest from around the world

Back 3
    Lachie Anderson A good big Winger with Aus 7's pedigree, the Force would surely be interested, though probably competition for his home Tahs and offshore.

Andrew Kellaway- Signed to Waratahs One wonders if any other than the Tahs got a heads up. Unless some residual bad blood with Donaldson over Test selection, surely the would have been some attraction to head West.

Darby Lancaster Another Aus 7's alumni like Anderson, just five years younger. Having had a taste of the West Coast at the recent Perth SVNS, we may have some appeal, though may also want to go back on the circuit following Paris

Joe Pincus Another with 7's credentials, would be either Anderson or Pinkus, not both. Six years older than Lancaster, would be unlikely to go back to 7's but would have plenty of offshore options

Glen Vaihu As with Mason Gordon, may be an opportunity to step out from older brother (David) shadow. A handy player, maybe not yet a hot prospect.

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    Dammit Burgs, you've done me...

I had full intentions of writing an extended treatise on all the players I'd chase and why...

Instead I'll do this

The Force are light in
    The entire front row

Locks

Outside backs (specifically experienced fullbacks)

And have plenty of
    Scrum halves (looking mainly at potential rather than numbers)

Inside backs (including a number who can play fullback)

So that being said I'd look at
    Eloff
    Gibbon
    Mafi (got a lot of time for this bloke, I think he's seriously underrated)
    Canham (I think he might be on the verge of something remarkable)
    Ekuasi (you can't have too many big, bruising backrowers can you?)
    Gordon (you don't want anybody else to have him do you?)
    Lancaster

And probably avoid
    Tupou (WF is likely the only Australian team that can afford the price, but I'm no longer confident that the juice is worth the squeeze)
    Leota (the hype will be massive, but there's better value elsewhere and we're not short)

I think that's it

Daugunus not a centre, I'd likely give him a call about returning to the wing, but if we got Lancaster we might be happy without him
    Jooste and Strachan struggled for game time and moved on. Whether they are worth a shout depends on why they moved in the first place.

C'mon the

vCash
    I guess I should add the proviso that I reckon Ra could set up their own Melbourne team and run it responsibly having first pick of the contracted players.

That would get them out of the tv deal and they could assess the viability of continuing in Melbourne based upon actual fact not snake oil salesmen talking up a disaster that only serves to put money in their offshore bank accounts.

If they give it a go for a year with a sustainable staff they will be able to see whether the public will support it enough to find it and give themselves another year to find an organisation to take up the license.

It would surely cost less than the penalties they'd pay for having fewer teams or setting up a squad in a completely new location.

C'mon the

vCash
    Yes it is a bit early and we have some promising prospects to assess.but...

1. Eloff. Didn't realise he was so young, especially for a prop. Doesn't look like an athlete but he's reasonably mobile, a good carrier and an ok scrummager.

2. Salakaia Loto

3. Carter Gordon

"The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Burgs View Post
    Taniela Tupou Would need a sound 2024 without significant injury. Likely will be offered big money offshore which will be hard to turn down. Only the lure of WC redemption (or Lions) might hold him
    Originally from Sydney Daily Telegraph, but that's paywall.

Leinster linked with the ‘Tongan Thor’ Taniela Tupou as Wallabies star contemplates lucrative switch

Story by Rúaidhrí O'Connor Irish Independent

Leinster could be set to swoop for one of the most powerful tighthead props in the game in a bid to further strengthen a pack that will already feature RG Snyman next season.

Wallaby Taniela Tupou is considering an offer that is reported by The Daily Telegraph in Australia to be worth more than €550,000 to join the Irish province in a move that would come as a major blow to their old coach Joe Schmidt if it goes through.

The 27-year-old, nicknamed the Tongan Thor, is contracted with the Melbourne Rebels until the end of the 2025 season and would be a key part of Schmidt's plans, but the franchise's future is uncertain amidst financial struggles.

So, Leinster are preparing an offer to bring him to Dublin to replace Michael Ala'alatoa who leaves for Clermont Auvergne at the end of this season.
    The province have tried to bring in Finlay Bealham and Tom O'Toole from Connacht and Ulster respectively, but both players knocked back the proposal.

So, they're on the hunt internationally and have identified the 135kg prop as a player who could make a difference.

Senior coach Jacques Nienaber was also tight-lipped on media reports linking the province with Tupou.

However, he did concede that Leinster are in the market for a replacement in that position, given the imminent departure of Ala’alatoa.

“Michael has been a standout guy, a rock for us in the scrum and to get somebody in his place is something that will be looked at but I won’t step on anyone else’s toes regarding that one,” he said.

“I’m sure they will work endlessly behind the scenes to get the right guy to replace Michael because he has been very important for us.”

Report: Leinster Attempting To Lure 135kg Wallabies Star To Dublin

Jonathan Browne
    balls.ie

Reports coming out of Australia this morning suggest that Leinster have made a play to sign Australian International tighthead prop Taniela Tupou for next season. The Wallaby has made over 50 caps for his nation since debuting in 2017 and is one of the country's most popular stars.

Tupou is currently contracted to the Melbourne Rebels in Super Rugby Pacific, having just joined them for the new season which started last month. However the Rebels are in serious financial problems. In January they were placed into voluntary administration after reporting an over $20 million AUD debt to its creditors, including an $11.6 million AUD tax bill.

Rugby Australia vowed to support the Rebels for the 2024 season, but it is still unclear what the future holds beyond that for the Rebels. Tupou's deal is up until the end of 2025, but if the Rebels were to fold he is free to join any team he wants.

Leinster are in the market for a tighthead prop as Michael Ala'alatoa is leaving this summer to move to Clermont. With Thomas Clarkson and a young Paddy McCarthy as the only cover behind Tadhg Furlong, Leinster are looking to add depth to that department.

In a report from the Daily Telegraph in Sydney, they said Leinster have offered Tupou over €500,00 to bring him to Dublin. With the departure of Jason Jenkins as well as Ala'alatoa Leinster have another NIQ spot open for Taniela Tupou to join Leinster.

For those unfamiliar with Tupou, he's an explosive 135kg prop who loves nothing more than to bulldoze over opponents. He's been hampered by injuries over the past couple of years but when he's at his best, there's not many in the world better.

Leinster have already announced the signing of RG Snyman for this summer and if they can pull this move off too it will be a very exciting season ahead for the boys in blue.

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

Legend Contributor
    vCash
    TBH, always felt like he was only marking time...

vCash
    Who ever gets him will be using him to warm the bench more than he plays! He can’t take the schedule here. In Europe he will have near twice as many games and I doubt his body will take it. IMO.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    May the FORCE be with you!

Legend Court Reporter
    Contributor
    vCash
    Tupou is a good player as an overseas pick. If he isn't fit, is injured, or doesn't have the right attitude, you can roll onto the next player and you don't shake your head at the million a season you'd pay him otherwise.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.