Thread: Lions carrot appealing to English centre Spink as he reflects on Force future

Immortal Contributor
    vCash

Lions carrot appealing to English centre Spink as he reflects on Force future

Mon, Feb 19, 2024, 12:27 PM
    Nathan Williamson

Western Force and English centre Sam Spink admits the potential to play against the British and Irish Lions is appealing as he weighs up his future.

Spink signed a two-year contract at the end of 2022 after the collapse of Premiership club Wasps.

The 24-year-old delivered a fantastic debut Super Rugby Pacific season, capped off with the Nathan Sharpe Medal.

“I absolutely love everything that I’ve had here and I’m completely settled in. Away from Rugby, you can’t really beat the lifestyle here," he told Rugby.com.au.

“Regards to the long-term future at the Force, I think there’s something extremely exciting going on here and I really do believe that.

“Whether I’m here for years to come, that’s still to be decided but it’s definitely a viable option and one that I’ll have to choose at some point but really do believe that there’s something exciting happening here and the Force will be in a good place for years to come.”

The Force have a history of recruiting overseas-based players on one or two-year deals before they return home such as Zack Kibirige and Manasa Mataele.

Spink's deal comes up at the end of the year, however, the club has a unique opportunity to offer the centre as they prepare to kick off the 2025 British and Irish Lions in Perth.

The Tour will begin at Optus Stadium on June 28 and Spink admits the prospect of taking part on the other side is appealing.

“I think I’d be lying if I didn’t see that fixture in the book a while ago and have that as another reason to consider my options a bit more," he said.

“That would be an incredible thing and not just for me individually, it would be exciting for the Force and for Perth in general.

“Whether I’m here or not playing in it, it’s exciting for Australian Rugby and mainly Rugby in the West because what an opportunity for the Lions to be out here and playing at Optus Stadium."

For now, Spink's focus is on getting the Force into the finals and building off their maiden season under coach Simon Cron.

“I loved it. As a team, we didn’t get to the point where we wanted to but it was such a whirlwind moving to the other side of the world," he added.

“The actual structure of the season and the travel that’s involved is all so new to me. Playing different teams and styles and playing that consistent game time was also pretty exciting.

“I’m really happy with how I was playing towards the end and for now, it’s just about a longer pre-season that I’m not used to. I was happy with how it went but it’s all about getting better.”

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    "Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Encouraging out of Spink.
    RA/Force need to be commencing serious discussions around retention for Residency Wallaby Eligibility.

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    Really hope he stays. He has the potential to become a Force great.

Find him a local girl!!!

Great game, Fucken battled right through to the 80!

Legend Court Reporter
    Contributor
    vCash
    Has a player ever played both for and against the Lions?

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by James View Post
    I recall reading of that, but couldn't give you a name.

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by James View Post
    A few players have played for the Barbarians in Lions warm-up matches either having played for, or went on to play, for the Lions (JPR for one).

Riki Flutey was at Wellington during the 2005 Lions tour and played against the Lions. He then went to Europe and qualified for England and played on the 2009 tour.

Also, Tom Reid was an Irish lock who got selected for the 1955 Lions tour. He then emigrated to Canada and ended up playing for Eastern Canada against the Lions when they stopped off in Canada at the end of the 1959 tour.

Don't tell me the sky's the limit when there are footprints on the moon

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Pretty sure there are some examples back in the early part of last century too.

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

Legend
    Apprentice Bookie
    vCash
    The Force have a history of recruiting overseas-based players on one or two-year deals before they return home such as Zack Kibirige and Manasa Mataele.
    Zack Kibirige was only on loan to us for the season.

Exile
    Sydney

"Pain heels. Chicks dig scars and Glory lasts forever." Shane Falco

Rookie
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sheikh View Post
    A few players have played for the Barbarians in Lions warm-up matches either having played for, or went on to play, for the Lions (JPR for one).

Riki Flutey was at Wellington during the 2005 Lions tour and played against the Lions. He then went to Europe and qualified for England and played on the 2009 tour.

Also, Tom Reid was an Irish lock who got selected for the 1955 Lions tour. He then emigrated to Canada and ended up playing for Eastern Canada against the Lions when they stopped off in Canada at the end of the 1959 tour.

Elliot Daly has played both for and against The Lions.
    He's also the only player to have scored points, both for and against the Lions! (Kicked a penalty for Barbarians vs Lions in Hong Kong in 2013, and scored a penalty in the third Test vs NZ in 2017 and a try vs Cell-C Sharks on the 2021 Tour to SA)

Jared Payne also played for the Barbarians vs Lions in 2013 & toured NZ with Lions in 2017.
    James Hook was on the 2009 tour to South Africa & also played for the Barbarians vs Lions in 2013

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by .X. View Post
    Zack Kibirige was only on loan to us for the season.
    I was surprised they missed mentioning Olowofela in that article where they were trying to make a big deal about all the one year foreigner contracts

C'mon the