Thread: Hurricanes set to apologise to NZ government over ‘redneck puppets’ haka

Legend Contributor blueandblack's Avatar
    vCash

Hurricanes set to apologise to NZ government over ‘redneck puppets’ haka

https://www.watoday.com.au/sport/rug...06-p5fa6d.html

The Hurricanes’ women’s Super Rugby side look set to apologise to New Zealand’s government over a controversial haka that is overshadowing the opening round of the competition. Before their season-opener against the Chiefs Manawa at the weekend, the Wellington-based side – known as the Poua – performed a haka that contained the words “karetao o te Kawana kakiwhero” which translates in English to “puppets of this redneck government”. Hurricanes chief executive Avan Lee was disappointed by the haka and even more so that there was no consultation between the club and the Poua players.

Lee told Radio NZ that some of the words used, were interpreted to be very strong and he confirmed the club would be making a formal apology to the coalition government. He said he plans to find out who was behind the decision to alter the words of the haka but does not expect the Poua or its players to face any disciplinary action.

“The Hurricanes shouldn’t be making any political statement,” Lee told RNZ. “If they do it needs to be agreed across the organisation because we have got players and staff who are not comfortable with what is being said. “There are obviously players and staff who agree with it, but that is missing the point ... we were blindsided. Us making a political statement is inappropriate – whether they’re saying ‘the government is great’ or ‘the government is not great’, that’s not our role.”

The Poua’s haka leader Leilani Perese, however, has told TVNZ that she presented the altered haka to her team’s management before it was performed.

“I sent it to management at the last minute,” she said. “They were like ‘go for it. We back you 100 per cent.’” Perese told TVNZ she doesn’t care about any backlash. “I believe in what we’re saying, I stand by it,” she continued. “I believe that in rugby, we have a platform where people watch and listen. And why not use our platform to show our people we will never fold? To tell the government that we are stronger than ever, and we will never go down without a war.”

Sports minister Chris Bishop told media on Tuesday he strongly disagrees with the claims raised during the controversial haka but said it was “free speech”.

“Obviously I disagree, New Zealanders will make their own judgements, as will Wellington fans of the Hurricanes,” he said. “Clearly I disagree with them, we’re not a government of white supremacy, that’s ridiculous.”

Chiefs Manawa went on to win the week one contest 46-24 over the Poua.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    "12 Years a Supporter" starring the #SeaOfBlue

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Fancy that, the solemn sacred practice of delivering a Haka can be used for alternative uses...!
    I respect the culture and cultural uses, but the day the AB's did theirs in the Cardiff Changerooms rather than once go second last to kick off to RESPECT the Welsh Centenary request destroyed it for me for sports usage.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    "Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.