Thread: Jordie Barrett learns his fate after red card in Super Rugby Pacific clash

Immortal Contributor The InnFORCEr's Avatar
    vCash

Jordie Barrett learns his fate after red card in Super Rugby Pacific clash

Hurricanes inside centre Jordie Barrett will not be in action in his side’s Super Rugby Pacific derby against the Blues in Wellington on Saturday after he received a three-week suspension for foul play.

The 27-year-old is also set to miss matches against the Crusaders and Rebels after he was sent off in his 100th match for the Hurricanes, during their Round Two clash with the Reds.

Dangerous high tackle

The All Black was red carded for a dangerous high tackle on Reds full-back Jordan Petaia in their Super Round encounter in Melbourne on Sunday.

Despite finishing the Super Rugby Pacific encounter with 14 players, the Hurricanes still clinched a 38-33 victory in golden-point extra-time.

Barrett received his punishment after facing SANZAAR’S foul play review committee and his red card was upheld. He was found guilty of contravening Law 9.13: A player must not tackle an opponent early, late or dangerously.

However, he can further reduce the suspension by applying to take part in World Rugby’s coaching intervention programme – the so-called ‘tackle school’.

The tackle on Reds centre Petaia was a heavy one with the Wallaby momentarily knocked out by the force of the hit and SANZAAR’s ruling said there was no mitigation for Barrett to avoid suspension.

The All Black was initially yellow carded but that was upgraded to red upon review. The foul play review committee chairperson Stephen Hardy said Barrett’s act of foul play was always illegal.

“Having conducted a detailed review of all the available evidence, including all camera angles and additional evidence, including from the player and submissions from his legal representative, Aaron Lloyd, the Foul Play Review Committee upheld the red card given to the player under Law 9.13,” Hardy said in a statement.

‘Body position was always upright’

“Following the World Rugby Head Contact Process, the FPRC assessed the player’s actions as having directly contacted the head, at high speed, with high force and while the player’s body position was always upright into the collision.”

Barrett was facing a six-week suspension, but it was reduced to three due to mitigating factors. He does not have a track record of disciplinary issues.

https://www.msn.com/en-au/sport/othe...44f31e4b&ei=69

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    80 Minutes, 15 Positions, No Protection, Wanna Ruck?

Ruck Me, Maul Me, Make Me Scrum!

Education is Important, but Rugby is Importanter!

vCash
    Barrett was facing a six-week suspension, but it was reduced to three due to mitigating factors. He does not have a track record of disciplinary issues.

He bloody head butted Marley only a couple of weeks ago!

3 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    May the FORCE be with you!

Immortal Contributor The InnFORCEr's Avatar
    vCash

80 Minutes, 15 Positions, No Protection, Wanna Ruck?

Ruck Me, Maul Me, Make Me Scrum!

Education is Important, but Rugby is Importanter!

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by The InnFORCEr View Post
    However, he can further reduce the suspension by applying to take part in World Rugby’s coaching intervention programme – the so-called ‘tackle school’.
    I reckon this is bullshit for all but Rookies.
    He's a senior player, one of the best in International Rugby over at least five years.
    He knows how to tackle!
    Sure, send him there if warranted, but it shouldn't reduce the suspension one day.
    If a Rookie (or for arguments sake under "20" matches) then ok, but not a player that has already made a career of the sport.

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    Certainly. IIRC the TMO said "no mitigation". That's what I thought live - RC. There was no lowering by Petaia or Barrett. So I'm wondering how the judiciary found 50% reduction of sanction. Can we expect all "clean record" players to get the same for a reckless, highly dangerous offence?

"The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David