Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: White & Rodda to start, Hoopert to make long-awaited Force debut

Immortal Contributor The InnFORCEr's Avatar
    vCash

White & Rodda to start, Hoopert to make long-awaited Force debut

Wed, May 8, 2024, 11:57 AM
    by Ben Somerford

The Western Force will welcome back Wallabies Nic White and Izack Rodda into the starting XV to face the Fijian Drua on Saturday, while Harry Hoopert is set to play at Super Rugby Pacific level for the first time since 2022.

Scrum-half White and lock Rodda both come into the starting side along with winger George Poolman and Joondalup Brothers front-rower Marley Pearce for Saturday’s Culture Round game which starts at 7:55pm WST at HBF Park.

Hoopert is named among the finishers to make his Force Club debut and his first Super Rugby Pacific appearance since 2022. Saturday's game will mark 708 days between Super Rugby games for Hoopert, dating back to 3 June 2022.

The 25-year-old prop missed the entire 2023 season with an ACL injury sustained on Australia A duty followed by a knee injury suffered in 2024 pre-season.

Lock Lopeti Faifua is added to the Force reserves, with Tom Franklin (concussion) unavailable. Scrum-half Issak Fines-Leleiwasa is also unavailable due to an ankle complaint.

Kick-off on Saturday is 7:55pm WST, with the game streamed live on Stan Sport. There will be regular updates on @WesternForce social media channels.

Head to our Game Day Hub to see what's happening at the ground to celebrate Culture Round.

Game details

Western Force v Fijian Drua

HBF Park, Perth

Saturday 11 May, 7:55pm WST

Live on Stan Sport

Force team list

Starting XV: Marley Pearce, Tom Horton, Santiago Medrano, Jeremy Williams (c), Izack Rodda, Will Harris, Carlo Tizzano, Reed Prinsep, Nic White, Ben Donaldson, Chase Tiatia, Hamish Stewart, Bayley Kuenzle, George Poolman, Kurtley Beale

Reserves: Feleti Kaitu’u, Harry Hoopert, Tiaan Tauakipulu, Lopeti Faifua, Michael Wells, Henry Robertson, Sam Spink, Henry O’Donnell

https://westernforce.rugby/news/whit...d-debut-202458

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    80 Minutes, 15 Positions, No Protection, Wanna Ruck?

Ruck Me, Maul Me, Make Me Scrum!

Education is Important, but Rugby is Importanter!

vCash
    Not trying to give excuses beforehand, but the fact that the selected 23 only has 3 players not in training camp in January is a positive boon for us this season!

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Don't tell me the sky's the limit when there are footprints on the moon

vCash
    Interesting putting Sam on the pine, strategic, I assume, with the powerful runners the Dura have. I'm excited to see Hoopert ready to rumble, the Fijians gave the Brumbies pack a really hard time last week, could be a real arm wrestle

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Gareth Chilcott after his last game for Bath in 1993
    “I thought I would have a quiet pint… and about 17 noisy ones.”

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    They mention Franklin being unavailable, but I think Carter picked up a leg injury at the end of the match as well I seem to recall hearing.
    Very timely for the returnees to be available anyway!
    Poolman starting over Spink is a massive call, hopefully fires up Spink for his last few matches with us.
    Poolman and O'Donnell would have a 2025 eye on Leahy's U20's performances I'm sure!
    Donaldson>Stewart>Kuenzle will be an interesting combination to watch though.
    Hopefully will see Kuenzle hitting it at pace.

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Burgs View Post
    They mention Franklin being unavailable, but I think Carter picked up a leg injury at the end of the match as well I seem to recall hearing.
    Very timely for the returnees to be available anyway!
    Poolman starting over Spink is a massive call, hopefully fires up Spink for his last few matches with us.
    Poolman and O'Donnell would have a 2025 eye on Leahy's U20's performances I'm sure!
    Donaldson>Stewart>Kuenzle will be an interesting combination to watch though.
    Hopefully will see Kuenzle hitting it at pace.
    I have to admit I was really surprised to see Poolman get a start, he's not had much time on the bench let alone a start this season. I'm really pleased the likes of Leahy have got to go to the U20s - that'll be amazing experience for them.

vCash
    I am a very staunch Leahy fan, however, I think every one keeps forgetting that Leahy is only 19 and last night showed that he still needs more game time and patience before being super rugby ready. Playing for the U20, Force academy and hopefully against the Cheetahs again this year will help his development further.

George Poolman has now come off the bench 20 times in two years for the Force and has played 375 Minutes of Super rugby. The coaching team have been working with him and would not have selected him if they did not think he was ready for a start. This will be his first start and we should be celebrating it with him.

Additional note: It is important that both Poolman and O'Donnell get time playing with Kurtley Beale still with us, as his on field guidance, mentoring and voice in an actual match scenario will help in their developments for next year.

Last edited by Tazzmania; 08-05-24 at 16:09.
    Simon Cron: “People talk about winning and losing all the time and they are critical, but there’s a process to get into and it’s the ability to stay present, do your job and execute skills under pressure.”

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Tazzmania View Post
    Playing for the U20, Force academy and hopefully against the Cheetahs again this year will help his development further.

George Poolman has now come off the bench 20 times in two years for the Force and has played 375 Minutes of Super rugby. The coaching team have been working with him and would not have selected him if they did not think he was ready for a start. This will be his first start and we should be celebrating it with him.

Additional note: It is important that both Poolman and O'Donnell get time playing with Kurtley Beale still with us, as his on field guidance, mentoring and voice in an actual match scenario will help in their developments for next year.
    Agree with Leahy, had some great spells against the Cheetahs - future is bright for him and some of the other Academy lads. Didn't Robbie Deans do something similar, insisting that the likes of Mitchell played for the U20 while still eligible, that being a more productive development opp than throwing them in the deep end?

Genuinely hope George has a rippa of a game, as you point out - its an excellent opportunity to learn from Beale etc. I was just surprised to see him get a start when he hasn't been on the list since (correct me if I'm wrong) Rd4. With the forecast for the weekend, I imagine the Fijians will be running the ball down those channels a lot.

vCash
    Good luck George! Hoping you can show us why the coach has so much faith in you!

I’m pretty sure my boss would have given me the boot long ago if I continually didn’t perform to the standards required of my organisation!

Especially when you have proven WA performers like Clay Yuen languishing over East somewhere!

Great game, Fucken battled right through to the 80!

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    The two things I really like about Leahy-

1. Hits the ball at pace virtually every time. Was talking to my old School Coach, who had a very successful run, watching the Scotch match last week and we bemoaned the fact that Rugby these days rarely sees players hitting the ball at full pace, it's more receive at jog and then accelerate (or more likely pass/get hit). Piasami is a notable exception, plus a few others.

2. Loves the contact. Not afraid of getting or giving tackles, runs to rucks when appropriate (Koroibete style) and has already jumped up from some receiving some massive hits.
    He does have a youthful exuberance about hum and at times looks like he is riding a pogo stick, bouncing around like a maniac, but I hope he keeps the energy.

Australia U20's is the best path this year for sure, but I think qualifies for the "Good enough = Old enough" for 2025 selection consideration.

To be sure, in terms of standard, the four U20's Championship best XV's wouldn't look out of place in the bottom four of the Super Rugby table at the minute, they are seriously big, hard and talented.

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    So with Hoopert's return, does that mean no more Coxon? I think he was injury cover. He did a stellar job.

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Leo86 View Post
    So with Hoopert's return, does that mean no more Coxon? I think he was injury cover. He did a stellar job.
    With the way we've been travelling with injury, you would hope they (ie all in that situation) are at least kept on the payroll until the end of the season!
    I would be surprised if he isn't contracted somewhere next year though, has given a solid account for the Force.

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by WFDom View Post
    Especially when you have proven WA performers like Clay Yuen languishing over East somewhere!
    Clay has not played any super rugby games, he was part of Perth Spirit in the NRC and played for the Force in GRR. He did play 8 games in France in the Pro 2 for Valence Roman (19/20 season). He is also six years older than George. It would appear that George would have a higher ceiling at this stage.

Simon Cron: “People talk about winning and losing all the time and they are critical, but there’s a process to get into and it’s the ability to stay present, do your job and execute skills under pressure.”

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Tazzmania View Post
    It would appear that George would have a higher ceiling at this stage.
    He needs it - he's 6 inches taller
    (Is there a smilie for Dad jokes?)

Don't tell me the sky's the limit when there are footprints on the moon

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sheikh View Post
    He needs it - he's 6 inches taller
    (Is there a smilie for Dad jokes?)
    It's not about how big he is, it's how he uses it.

Wait. What.

Player
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jargan83 View Post
    It's not about how big he is, it's how he uses it.

Wait. What.
    I think a better comparison would be Grayson Makara, WA product, not given much of a chance, let go last year and now carving up in QLD for Brothers, why wasn’t he given the same chances as Poolman who will eventually leave anyway?

I want us to hold on to O’Donnell as he will be a good one

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast