Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast

Thread: 2025 Squad - Speculation Thread

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Some good insights at the end of the Len Ikitau interview in this article, as well as Swains own interview- https://www.rugby.com.au/news/its-th...ce-move-202456

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by Burgs; 06-05-24 at 17:30.
    "Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    Sounds like we should be trying to get Ikitau across then as well. Now that would be a real coup!

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by chiraag View Post
    Sounds like we should be trying to get Ikitau across then as well. Now that would be a real coup!
    Contracted for next year, but would be a major signing for '26!

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by wholetruth View Post
    That seems to me that Rodda is off.
    Not necessarily, Crono is always talking about depth in each position and we're yet to start a season with 3 locks of international standard. Rodda might also be getting backed up by somebody of quality to cover injuries, which have been an issue. I think both Rodda and Swain can play both the Tighthead and loosehead lock role, so will fight for th lock and Williams will fill the loosehead role if one of them is hurt.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    C'mon the

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by wholetruth View Post
    With the amount of penalties we give away every game he will fit in perfectly.
    Yeah, that's the question isn't it? Hoping that he'll listen to Nic White who has turned his game around since getting here

C'mon the

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveWA View Post
    Could you be thinking of Swinton?
    Nah, Swain has had some high profile brain snaps, Quinn Tupaea being the worst. He seems to have calmed down with a few extra years, but has been easy to bait into dumb penalties before, looks like he was in search of the hard man tag.

C'mon the

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GIGS20 View Post
    Not necessarily, Crono is always talking about depth in each position and we're yet to start a season with 3 locks of international standard. Rodda might also be getting backed up by somebody of quality to cover injuries, which have been an issue. I think both Rodda and Swain can play both the Tighthead and loosehead lock role, so will fight for th lock and Williams will fill the loosehead role if one of them is hurt.
    Wasn't that an issue with Sharpie? He had a problem with one shoulder (presumably the right) and so could only play tighthead lock (5) rather than loosehead lock (4). When he got picked to play at 4 for the Wallabies (against England, I think) the scrum got demolished because when the pressure came onto the hooker the bind between the locks wasn't strong enough and the English scrum could push straight through the middle of the Wallaby scrum.

Don't tell me the sky's the limit when there are footprints on the moon

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveWA View Post
    Could you be thinking of Swinton?
    Possibly I was thinking of someone who head butted a guy in Wallaby colours a few years back.

May the FORCE be with you!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by SNOB View Post
    Possibly I was thinking of someone who head butted a guy in Wallaby colours a few years back.
    That was Swain, Johnny Hill - England match in '22 I think. Hill was being a grub, pulling Swain's hair, and eventually, Swain reacted. Hill got a yellow for his troubles and Swain the Red. As best I can tell Swain has kept the aggression without allowing the red mist to descend - pretty sure its a clean record for things like that since then.

Gareth Chilcott after his last game for Bath in 1993
    “I thought I would have a quiet pint… and about 17 noisy ones.”

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by shasta View Post
    That was my thought too SNOB. IIRC the 6 week ban against the AB's looked more clumsy than deliberate. The 2 weeks for "headbutting" the England lock was sheer frustration after the Pom tried to pull his hair out by the roots to stop Swain disrupting their maul. I'd have given him 4 weeks for the pussiest Liverpool Kiss in the history of Rugby
    I believe it's called a Fijian assault these days

C'mon the

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Just putting this out there.
    With the end of current contract for Wells, even with a couple of good performances, there's opportunity to look at alternatives.
    Following a trail of "where are they now" for a few local boys I find that Alex Masibaka has been performing pretty well in the French D2 for Soyaux-Angoulême XV Charente.
    It appears he is only on an Academy contract ending this season, however, has had 14 selections, 11 starting, in 29 possible matches.
    752 minutes, averaging 54 minutes and has scored 10 tries.
    For the Force he managed to get 26 minutes for the previous season over 2 matches!
    The final season round (Yes, 30 Rounds per year! That's a different thread...) is this weekend and they can't make the Finals.
    Fair to say he is a different player, if only for the exposure, than the one that flew out.
    At only 23 next year, 6 ft 1 in and 115 kg, in the name of local development, he might be worth a rethink?

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    I think Wells is a hard one. There appear to be so many undefinables there that makes the team perform better when he's on the park, despite not looking up to scratch in what he brings to the table.

By the sound of Masibakas contract it would be wise/possible to lure him back, but I'm not convinced that should be at the expense of a player who clearly brings a lot of experience and leadership to the young forwards.

He might be our new Ian Prior

C'mon the

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GIGS20 View Post
    He might be our new Ian Prior
    As in hanging around filling a Squad spot "in case"?
    34 in Scrumhalf is probably younger than 32 ('25 Season) in Backrow years.

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    I look at Masibaka and other young Western Australians in the hope of DHP. Due to lack of a 2nd tier comp and games in Australia, I hope they go elsewhere to build up and come home more experienced. The otherside is they ride the pine and don't grow as a player in Australia. Hopefully the club keeps in contact with players that have left or been released.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Burgs View Post
    Just putting this out there.
    With the end of current contract for Wells, even with a couple of good performances, there's opportunity to look at alternatives.
    Following a trail of "where are they now" for a few local boys I find that Alex Masibaka has been performing pretty well in the French D2 for Soyaux-Angoulême XV Charente.
    It appears he is only on an Academy contract ending this season, however, has had 14 selections, 11 starting, in 29 possible matches.
    752 minutes, averaging 54 minutes and has scored 10 tries.
    For the Force he managed to get 26 minutes for the previous season over 2 matches!
    The final season round (Yes, 30 Rounds per year! That's a different thread...) is this weekend and they can't make the Finals.
    Fair to say he is a different player, if only for the exposure, than the one that flew out.
    At only 23 next year, 6 ft 1 in and 115 kg, in the name of local development, he might be worth a rethink?
    I rather thought that Alex went to Montpellier on a 3 year deal as part of the alliance they were investigating a couple of seasons ago. He was in their academy and looks to have been loaned (or perhaps even transferred) now. He's a big unit and has had some great games fro Soyaux.

Gareth Chilcott after his last game for Bath in 1993
    “I thought I would have a quiet pint… and about 17 noisy ones.”

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast