Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: 2025 Squad - Speculation Thread

Champion
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by tjs10 View Post
    The "announcement" was announced by him warming up on the tirf in Force training kit yesterday afternoon!
    Do tell - for those of us who were not lucky enough to be there.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    Name:  Screenshot_20240323-182107.jpg
Views: 349
Size:  39.7 KB

“Everyone knows whether it’s rugby, politics or whatever, front-rowers should rule the world, so to have a hooker at the helm makes sense,” Nathan Charles Western Force & Wallabies Hooker.

Rookie
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GAFFA View Post
    Name:  Screenshot_20240323-182107.jpg
Views: 349
Size:  39.7 KB
    Exactly.

Apparently his contract at Leicester Tigers was only as cover until the end of the Six Nations, so he is immediately available for selection.

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    I'm tipping he'll be on a flight to Fiji as Williams didn't sound too promising.

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

Legend Contributor blueandblack's Avatar
    vCash
    https://thewest.com.au/sport/western...ter-c-14064521

"Super Rugby Pacific: Western Force sign 16-cap Wallaby and former Brumbies lock Sam Carter

The Western Force have bolstered their lock stocks with 16-cap Wallaby Sam Carter signing on for the rest of the Super Rugby Pacific season. The 34 year-old former Brumbies second-rower joins the Force after four years overseas with Ulster and Leicester Tigers."

That's all I could get on the public side of the paywall.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    "12 Years a Supporter" starring the #SeaOfBlue

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Burgs View Post
    I'm tipping he'll be on a flight to Fiji as Williams didn't sound too promising.
    Was there any info on Williams injury? He said he was off for a scan in the press Conf but haven't heard any more.

Gareth Chilcott on playing his last game of rugby for Bath in 1993 “I thought I would have a quiet pint… and about 17 noisy ones.”

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Kernow View Post
    Was there any info on Williams injury? He said he was off for a scan in the press Conf but haven't heard any more.
    That's the latest I've got.

I assume they'll know lunchtime today and we'll know only if they want us to

C'mon the

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GIGS20 View Post
    That's the latest I've got.

I assume they'll know lunchtime today and we'll know only if they want us to
    Yeah, that's fair enough too. On the plus side, Marley is back in the picture, is he not?

Gareth Chilcott on playing his last game of rugby for Bath in 1993 “I thought I would have a quiet pint… and about 17 noisy ones.”

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Sam Carter, Locks and Backrow implications-

For the Force, let's keep in mind Carter is now 34, with probably another two years in him at this level and expressing pleasure at having his family "back home".
    We all go on about the need for depth and a strong bench, Carter can bring that as there will always be a Lock carrying an injury.
    If there's no cover then said Lock has to play.
    Hate to say it, because Australia (not just the Force) desperately needs a fit Rodda, but until he has a season under his belt then we can't pencil him in as a permanent starter.
    If you have a Carter coming along (I'm talking after this season) in a Thrush style semi Coaching role then you have cover. If he indeed has any Coaching aspiration the Force would be mad not to bundle up a player/development pathway for him.
    He's coming from Leicester as one of five (ie all) Internationally Capped Locks in the Squad (Combined 46 Caps across 3 Countries), he will have a huge amount of IP and will have been flat out every week earning his spot. It's not like coming back from Japan or NPC.

Agreed Williams would likely see more at #6 if our Locks depth was deeper long term.
    He's an 80 minute player in the Tight 5 already, so would become more effective if not getting zapped in the scrums as much.
    Wells is in his final year and I would easily see his journey, being by then 31, at an end.
    This opens up a slot for a bigger 6-8 (Williams) who can "cover" 4-5.

Of the rest of the Locks and development, I would make the distinction there are no local products amongst the young guys, so it has to be what is best for the Squad balance at this point.
    Nofoagatotoa played ok as a Rookie, Kalapu is signed until '25 anyway and looking forward to seeing him play (as Women's Squad implications...) and would want to see more of Faifua before commenting.
    You could mount an argument for Franklin either way, he has been good so far, but in a choice between him and Carter then you'd be going for Carter.

We actually started the season a Lock light, so it wouldn't be a stretch to see all of them retained.

In the Backrow there is then a good balance between power and mobility with (if Williams in and Wells out) a legitimate pair of options for each jersey.

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Yeah, that's fair enough too. On the plus side, Marley is back in the picture, is he not?
    That's my recollection mate

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    I really hope for Marley’s development they keep him on the bench as a replacement.

Especially now as Coxon is proving his worth

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Great game, Fucken battled right through to the 80!

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by WFDom View Post
    I really hope for Marley’s development they keep him on the bench as a replacement.

Especially now as Coxon is proving his worth
    Agreed.
    Coxson strikes me as the type of player that any team from T2 down would love to have in their Squad.
    A good hard toiler, no fuss, no pretensions, he knows he is a pig and plays his role.

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    Has anyone got any info on Alex Masibaka? I thought he was loaned to Montpellier for a couple of years as a development opportunity but looks to have transferred to Soyaux-Angoulême

vCash
    I believe so, yes

I reckon he should start, but only to give Give Coxon a rest and have him come on at probably exactly 40 and deal some damage.

I would also not be opposed to seeing Sam Carter suited up.

C'mon the

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GIGS20 View Post
    I believe so, yes

I reckon he should start, but only to give Give Coxon a rest and have him come on at probably exactly 40 and deal some damage.

I would also not be opposed to seeing Sam Carter suited up.
    I agree; Coxon has been awesome. It looks like he has a healthy streak of mongrel in him, which helps with the dark arts of the front row. He looked like he took a massive knock in that first match and having some good options to rotate them is important.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast