Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Western Force v Moana Pasifika 15/03/2024

vCash

Western Force v Moana Pasifika 15/03/2024

Starting XV: Ryan Coxon, Tom Horton, Santiago Medrano, Thomas Franklin, Jeremy Williams, Tim Anstee, Carlo Tizzano, Will Harris, Issak Fines-Leleiwasa, Ben Donaldson, Chase Tiatia, Hamish Stewart, Bayley Kuenzle, Harry Potter, Max Burey

Reserves: Feleti Kaitu’u, Josh Bartlett, Tiaan Tauakipulu, Lopeti Faifua, Reed Prinsep, Ollie Callan, Nic White, George Poolman

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Simon Cron: “People talk about winning and losing all the time and they are critical, but there’s a process to get into and it’s the ability to stay present, do your job and execute skills under pressure.”

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Force team list confirmed for return home against Moana Pasifika

Wed, Mar 13, 2024, 10:58 AM
    Ben Somerford

The Western Force have named their 23-member team list for Friday’s Super Rugby Pacific clash with Moana Pasifika from 7pm as part of a double-header.

Wallabies scrum-half Issak Fines-Leleiwasa comes into the starting XV for the first time this season. Tim Anstee is also added to the XV at blindside flanker with Michael Wells (knee) unavailable.

Loosehead prop Josh Bartlett, 21, and ex-Hurricanes flanker Reed Prinsep are added as reserves.

Prinsep, who joins on an injury cover contract, brings experience to the Force bench, having played 73 Super Rugby games for the Hurricanes and previously captained Canterbury.

Bartlett and Prinsep both played in last weekend’s 31-31 Force A draw with Brumbies Runners.

The game will be live on Stan Sport, while there will be regular updates @WesternForce on social media, with kick-off from 7pm AWST.

Gates open 5:30pm AWST, with gate 1 open at 4pm for the Super W game between the Force and Rebels from 4:30pm AWST.

Game details

Western Force v Moana Pasifika

HBF Park, 7pm WST

Live on Stan Sport

Force-

1. Ryan Coxon
    2. Tom Horton
    3. Santiago Medrano
    4. Thomas Franklin
    5. Jeremy Williams
    6. Tim Anstee
    7. Carlo Tizzano
    8. Will Harris
    9. Issak Fines-Leleiwasa
    10. Ben Donaldson
    11. Chase Tiatia
    12. Hamish Stewart
    13. Bayley Kuenzle
    14. Harry Potter
    15. Max Burey

16. Feleti Kaitu’u
    17. Josh Bartlett
    18. Tiaan Tauakipulu
    19. Lopeti Faifua
    20. Reed Prinsep
    21. Ollie Callan
    22. Nic White
    23. George Poolman

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Umaga and Taumoefolau set for milestones in Perth

13 March 2024, Moana Pasifika

Fa’alogo Tana Umaga will notch up his 50th match as a head coach when Moana Pasifika face the Western Force in Perth this Saturday (NZT).

Umaga says he’s focused on the game ahead but is grateful to reach the feat.

“For me it’s about the team and how we’re going. But it’s an achievement and we’ll tick it off. Hopefully we’ll get a celebration after a good performance by us on the weekend,” Umaga said.

Moana Pasifika rookie Kyren Taumoefolau will also achieve a milestone making his first DHL Super Rugby Pacific start at left wing.

Taumoefolau continues to go from strength to strength, hailing from Marlborough and at 20 years of age he’s already played on the biggest rugby stage.

In 2023 he played for the ‘Ikale Tahi at the Rugby World Cup and has also represented Tonga on the World Sevens Circuit.

Last year he was part of the Moana Pasifika U20s team and has now been promoted after joining as a development player in 2024.

Debuting for Moana Pasifika against the Fijian Drua at Super Round in Melbourne, the explosive back has a tremendous work rate and game awareness, with an ability to make an impact in a short space of time.

Taumoefolau gets another chance to display his strike power and is humbled by the selection.

“I was so happy and excited, I couldn’t wait to tell my family and friends. I’m grateful for the opportunity to showcase my talent and represent my team and family this weekend in Perth,” Taumoefolau said.

“The boys have been really welcoming and it’s been so good to learn off some of the greats in the game. The culture that Moana has allows me to play freely and gives me confidence to play my game.”

Umaga has named a mostly unchanged side to face the Force with some players switching between the bench and the starting 15.

Hard-working flanker Sione Havili Talitui will continue in the captaincy role while Sama Malolo returns to hooker.

Leaders Christian Lealiifano and Sekope Kepu move into the starting lineup, and Nigel Ah Wong also rejoins the backline at right wing.

Unavailable due to injury: Alamanda Motuga, James Lay, Jonathan Taumateine, Miracle Faiilagi, Ofa Tauatevalu, Samuel Slade, Solomone Funaki.

Moana Pasifika-

1. Abraham Pole
    2. Sama Malolo
    3. Sekope Kepu
    4. Tom Savage
    5. Allan Craig
    6. Jacob Norris
    7. Sione Havili Talitui (c)
    8. Lotu Inisi
    9. Ereatara Enari
    10. Christian Lealiifano
    11. Kyren Taumoefolau
    12. Julian Savea
    13. Henry Taefu
    14. Nigel Ah Wong
    15. Danny Toala

16. Samiuela Moli
    17. Sateki Latu
    18. Sione Mafileo
    19. Ola Tauelangi
    20. Irie Papuni
    21. Melani Matavao
    22. William Havili
    23. Pepesana Patafilo

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    Liking the look of that side. White has been going well, but good to give IFL a go starting and have White on the pitch later on the game to provide some leadership.
    Concerning that Moli still isn't in the 23, but good to see someone else in there beisdes Hancock, who I don't think is really ready for this level yet. Hopefully this fixes our end of game scrum problems. Have been very impressed with Coxon so far.
    Great to see Anstee starting too.

Not sure about our persistence with the 6/2 bench. Feel like all of the backrowers can go the full 80, and we'd be better off having more cover and getting more experience into another back like Cummins, Leahy or Foliaki.

MP have been looking decent this year, but we really should be winning this and getting our season back on track.

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Bartlett looks like a solid unit (6', 116kg).
    Be good to know how he went last week, better than Hancock by the looks of it...
    If it is the same individual he played for the Chiefs off the Bench against the Force in Round 14 2022, a match that Tiatia was playing on their Wing... with hair...
    It reads as a Covid ravaged Chiefs Squad, but still thumped us.

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by chiraag View Post
    Liking the look of that side. White has been going well, but good to give IFL a go starting and have White on the pitch later on the game to provide some leadership.
    Concerning that Moli still isn't in the 23, but good to see someone else in there beisdes Hancock, who I don't think is really ready for this level yet. Hopefully this fixes our end of game scrum problems. Have been very impressed with Coxon so far.
    I guess they are looking for a fast start then use White to manage things if that works out. Agree with your summation of the scrum. It's going end up counterproductive for Coxson & Medrano playing so many minutes. Moli has had two starts in "reserve grade" so you'd think he must be close."

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by shasta View Post
    I guess they are looking for a fast start then use White to manage things if that works out. Agree with your summation of the scrum. It's going end up counterproductive for Coxson & Medrano playing so many minutes. Moli has had two starts in "reserve grade" so you'd think he must be close."
    Nic also looked to have picked up an niggle by the time he came off, perhaps letting IFL do the lions share this week to manage recovery?

Gareth Chilcott on playing his last game of rugby for Bath in 1993 “I thought I would have a quiet pint… and about 17 noisy ones.”

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Kernow View Post
    Nic also looked to have picked up an niggle by the time he came off, perhaps letting IFL do the lions share this week to manage recovery?
    Yeah, hand was pretty banged up by the looks of it.

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

Rookie
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by chiraag View Post
    Great to see Anstee starting too.

Not sure about our persistence with the 6/2 bench. Feel like all of the backrowers can go the full 80, and we'd be better off having more cover and getting more experience into another back like Cummins, Leahy or Foliaki.

MP have been looking decent this year, but we really should be winning this and getting our season back on track.
    I agree the bench does seem too heavy on second row/backrow replacements. Big Ollie fan but keen to see Prinsep off the bench so Ollie could have made way for another back, I think if pasitoa was available he would be there

vCash
    Anyone know if any of the new names have been signed as official injury cover?

Great game, Fucken battled right through to the 80!

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Cron points to 'composure and maturity' ahead of Moana clash

Thu, Mar 14, 2024, 5:55 PM
    Ben Somerford

Western Force head coach Simon Cron has called for “composure and maturity” ahead of Friday’s Round 4 Super Rugby Pacific clash with Moana Pasifika following two close calls in the past two games.

The Force let slip second-half leads in losses to the Melbourne Rebels in Round 2, followed by last weekend’s 22-19 defeat to the ACT Brumbies.

There were plenty of positive signs in both games, with the Force leading 34-19 in the second half against the Rebels following some fluid attacking play.

But the Force’s good work has been undone by 10-15 minute periods of momentum to the opposition side and Cron pointed to composure and maturity to fix that.

“Composure and maturity, sticking to the basics,” he told reporters. “When we do that, it’s great to watch.

“Process versus outcome. If we stick to our job and do our roles, we’ve got both those games completely under control.

“(In the) 50th minute mark we throw an intercept (against the Rebels) and then there’s a bit of maturity there, bit of sports psych, around ‘hey, it’s OK, an intercept happens, keep calm, do your job’. Then we just did bad on bad which can be mentality.

“If you look at the starts, geez there’s been some great rugby. We played beautifully for 50 minutes but now it’s about getting the people on the park and helping those guys, so the last 20 they come out and nail it.”

Cron refused to be drawn into talk that the Round 4 clash with Moana at HBF Park was a must-win after the side’s 0-3 start.

“Every game for us is critical,” he said. “The last two were critical.

“Going forward, we’ll win when we’re good enough.

“We were good enough for 50-60 minutes in those games. Now it’s about putting out a performance that does it for 80-plus.”

Force forwards coach Jimmy Duffy noted the example of his time with Connacht in his native Ireland who recovered from a similar winless start to win the Irish United Rugby Championship in 2016.

“It was the same thing there, there’s a lot of new players in this group,” he said.

“There’s probably 16-17 new faces in the last season. It takes time to gel, build your process. Young squad as well, so you’re trying to build that experience and rugby knowledge.

“You’ve got to stick to your guns and become world class at the stuff we want to be world class. Those young men as they accumulate more caps it transfers.

“We’ve been really close in the past two games and that’s hurt. But the hurt is useful for us.

“We want to stay on message, work really hard for each other and hopefully the result comes.”

Cron explained Issak Fines-Leleiwasa would come into the starting line-up for Friday’s game with veteran Nic White to be used as a reserve.

“We always had a plan pre-season and it doesn’t change at the moment,” Cron said. “Give Whitey those three games, get some consistency, get some performance out of him, I think he’s done really well.

“We don’t lose with Finesy. He’s a great nine. It’s an area we do have depth. We wanted to make sure he had an opportunity to play as well. With our finishers, we have a bit of experience with Whitey to control the ship.”

Michael Wells is unavailable for Friday’s game due to a knee complaint, while English inside centre Sam Spink (calf) will miss a second straight game although he was close.

“(Wells) got a scan the other day and he’s going through a process with his knee,” Cron said. “We’ve got to get him right. It’s ongoing but it’s a case of them (the medical staff) reviewing the scan.

“Spinky is close. He was borderline maybe this week. They made a decision around the risk versus reward. Give him another week and he’ll be good to go.”

Duffy added that Reed Prinsep, signed on an injury cover contract, would bring plenty of experience having made 73 Super Rugby appearances for the Hurricanes.

“He brings a lot of knowledge,” Duffy said. “The group has got around him really well. There’s a lot to learn in a week. He’s quite relaxed and comfortable. We want to allow him to be his best tomorrow evening.”

Kick-off against Moana Pasifika is 7pm, with tickets available via Ticketmaster. View our GameDay Hub for more info about what's on.

The game is part of a double-header with the Force hosting the Buildcorp Super Rugby Women’s season opener against the Rebels from 4:30pm. Both games are live on Stan Sport

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    "Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    I've seen nothing from Moana to make me think we shouldn't beat them convincingly....

If we can get the discipline right

vCash
    This referee is a bit of a turd 😡

Legend
    Apprentice Bookie
    vCash
    Finally.

First up - I don't necessarily agree with an Accidental Head Clash with Tizanno and No 15 from Moana is deserving of a Yellow Card.

But - it's great to finally see that the "receiver" of the head clash sent for a HIA.

Also - a class act by Tizanno to get up from his Naughty Chair to check on the No. 15 with a hug and words of encouragement.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Exile
    Sydney

"Pain heels. Chicks dig scars and Glory lasts forever." Shane Falco

Champion
    vCash
    I think we miss Nick White! I also get nervous when we are favourites to win

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast