Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Daugunu returns to training but out of Rebels match

Immortal Contributor The InnFORCEr's Avatar
    vCash

Daugunu returns to training but out of Rebels match

Melissa Woods
    AAP
    March 19, 2024 1:55PM

Star recruit Filipo Daugunu won't be available for Melbourne's Super Rugby Pacific clash with the table-topping Hurricanes despite returning to training after sitting out the last round over a pay dispute.

The outside back was a late withdrawal last Friday against his former team Queensland due to an outstanding relocation fee owed by the club.

The debt wasn't settled before the Rebels went into voluntary administration and while Rugby Australia (RA) have guaranteed the players' contracts this season and put the coaches on short-term deals, this payment falls outside of that.

The future of Melbourne in the competition rests in the hands of RA, with the club in massive debt.

Daugunu, who played for Australia A last year and has seven Test caps, was back at training on Tuesday but too late to be considered for the Hurricanes match in Palmerston North, with the team departing Wednesday.

"It's between him and his agent and Rugby Australia and they've been trying to work it out," Rebels coach Kevin Foote told AAP.

"Filipo actually came to training today which is great - he's not up for selection this week because it's too late as we've already finished our training week but just to have him back is very pleasing for us."

Suffering a heavy loss to the Reds, Foote said post match they had a poor preparation without alluding to Daugunu, with the club stating his absence was for "personal reasons".

They are currently seventh with two wins and two losses with Foote and his assistant coaches trying to keep the distraction of an uncertain future at bay.

RA boss Phil Waugh told AAP on Monday the decision on the survival of the club was taking longer than he would have liked.

"No news is not good news in this scenario because you actually start living in the future and that's not good either," said Foote, who was re-signed on a four-month deal when RA took over the club in the pre-season.

"You start worrying about things you don't know anything about.

"There's only three pay cheques left and when you think about that it's very concerning.

"But the last thing I want is that they tell us that we're not going to be around because then there could be a mass exodus or people thinking about jumping off.

"We're still in the belief that we'll be around and we can keep this group together because it's a very talented group and we can do good things."

https://www.perthnow.com.au/sport/ru...tch-c-14006131

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    80 Minutes, 15 Positions, No Protection, Wanna Ruck?

Ruck Me, Maul Me, Make Me Scrum!

Education is Important, but Rugby is Importanter!

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Some speculation around he might go to 7's.

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

Rookie
    vCash
    Good to see players still play for the love of the game

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Burgs View Post
    Some speculation around he might go to 7's.
    I'm sure we have an injury cover contract up our sleeve, he would be a better option than George Poolman

C'mon the

Rookie
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GIGS20 View Post
    I'm sure we have an injury cover contract up our sleeve, he would be a better option than George Poolman
    I would take Kurtley over Poolman

Legend Contributor brokendown gunfighter's Avatar
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Garry Owen View Post
    tastes differ,lol

vCash
    There’s an ever increasing list I’d take over Poolman!

He’s had over a season of opportunities and still proves every week that he’s out of his depth.

Cron is always saying he doesn’t want to throw players in to Super Rugby before they are ready. But, he’s done the opposite in his case

Great game, Fucken battled right through to the 80!

Legend Contributor
    vCash
    For mine, that is more a criticism of the lack of anywhere for these guys to get competitive game time and real world practice. Poolman would almost be the poster child for an NRC, to sort out whether the goods are there, need directed development, or actually lacking.

Rookie
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyS View Post
    For mine, that is more a criticism of the lack of anywhere for these guys to get competitive game time and real world practice. Poolman would almost be the poster child for an NRC, to sort out whether the goods are there, need directed development, or actually lacking.
    Yes agree but he did get opportunities in pre season and I thought Leahy and O’Donnell showed a lot more promise and should be given a crack before they head back east.

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Good to see players still play for the love of the game
    My thought on reading was it may impact insurance cover, but otherwise yes.

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyS View Post
    Poolman would almost be the poster child for an NRC, to sort out whether the goods are there, need directed development, or actually lacking.
    Or GRR.
    Should be running concurrently.

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Yes agree but he did get opportunities in pre season and I thought Leahy and O’Donnell showed a lot more promise and should be given a crack before they head back east.
    Leahy definitely needs a#23 opportunity.

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    When you say "take" Kurtley what do you mean?

It's a relevant question which Kurtley also wants the answer to

C'mon the

Immortal Contributor The InnFORCEr's Avatar
    vCash
    Super Rugby Pacific round five team news: Twist in $7000 saga after Wallaby refused to play
    Sam Worthington

Rebels star Filipo Daugunu will miss a second straight Super Rugby Pacific game as a dispute over $7000 of relocation costs continues to rumble on.

Daugunu missed last week's 53-26 loss to the Reds for "personal reasons" and the former Wallabies winger was also absent for Monday's training session in Melbourne.

Filipo Daugunu is missing from the Rebels team sheet for Friday's clash with the competition leading Hurricanes in Palmerston North.

The 29-year-old moved from Brisbane to Melbourne in the offseason and is seeking reimbursement for $7000 of travel costs.

The cash strapped Rebels are now run by Rugby Australia after entering voluntary administration in January.

Daugunu returned to training on Tuesday but that was not enough to earn a spot on the plane to Wellington.

"Obviously Lipo pulled out for personal reasons, that's what we have been told," Rebels captain Rob Leota told reporters.

"And also we know he has been receiving a lot of support. For us, we just have to keep going on. It was good to have him back today (Tuesday) within our training... it was really good having him back and seeing him smile and happy around the group."

Meanwhile, the Hurricanes have been bolstered by the return of captain Brad Shields and All Blacks midfielder Jordie Barrett.

"We've had to make some changes because some of the boys have got some niggles," Hurricanes coach Clark Laidlaw said.

"We also want to let the boys who haven't had a game this year find their feet. It's also really good to have Brad back. We've certainly been in and out with some of our loose forwards with injuries, but he's itching to get started after training fully now for a couple of weeks. He not only provides a strong running and defensive game but exceptional leadership as well."

https://wwos.nine.com.au/rugby/super...3-705095821556

80 Minutes, 15 Positions, No Protection, Wanna Ruck?

Ruck Me, Maul Me, Make Me Scrum!

Education is Important, but Rugby is Importanter!

vCash
    Where's the twist? That article has no new information?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast