Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Round 7 Auckland Blues v Western Force

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by WFDom View Post
    I respect your stance, but acceptance of mediocrity and excuse making for the cause is dangerous Tazz. Amongst other things that attitude helped put our co@k on the block in 2017! I lost count of how many times people said they were just grateful to have a team to support.

If Cron does not accept good over great, why should we?
    I think there is a big difference between, as you suggest "accepting mediocrity" in some naive feel good world and being a supporter who sticks regardless.
    Yes, there are those people around and they too can no doubt justify their position.
    I have come to hate the Sea of Blue on Fbk as there tends to be the two extremes, both of whom I would call fans rather than Supporters.
    There is the more delusional fan where everything is rosy with the world and will make excuses for everything.
    Then there is the "fair weather fan" who is there when a team is winning, but is the first to turn on the team and eventually falls into the "not watching this shit anymore" statement maker. I think Supporters sit somewhere between those two extremes.

Each to their own, but indicators for me-

I have never and can't envisage ever leaving a match before the team leaves the field (not counting extended fan interaction etc, the traditional post match exchange between players I mean). I believe an individual who walks out on their team states more about themselves than they do their self-perceived statement on the team.

I would never "boo" my own team or Coach (might let out the odd stifled "fuck" at times, but usually towards the ground...) and might only consider it for blatant dirty play for an opposition player. As has been seen last weekend, spectator behaviour reflects on the whole establishment you represent. I just straight up hate the actual act of "booing", at least be creative...

While I may (do) have a go at players ability on TWF (yes, Wells comes to mind) it is never aimed at their character or personal lives, family etc and come match day they are my player through thick and thin for the 80 minutes.

I believe it is very rare individual who ever deliberately sets out to play poorly. They may have inherent weaknesses in their skillset that gets shown up against more skilled opposition, but they aren't doing it deliberately.

This has taken longer to evolve, but a more mature Burgs would never "boo" an Official. They do a bloody hard job. One that I could never do.
    As a good mate of a retired International level Ref, my eyes have been opened in my more recent years and recommend every person involved in sport, either side of the fence, should track down Whistleblowers for a look.

I don't believe a Supporter is there to set the same standards as the Coach, it is a different role.
    A Supporter is perhaps more akin to a Mentor role of providing.... well, support!

I don't really idolise players off the field and have never asked for an autograph (though I get why others do, that one isn't judgment, just statement for background). Having personally known quite a few elite sports people before and after their time in the bright lights I know they are just ordinary people with a particular extraordinary skillset for a given period of time. They are one injury away from going back to being Joe Blow in the street and they put that on the line every time they suit up, particularly but not uniquely in the contact sports. If an individual gives the impression they believe they are meant to be idolised off the field then I would (and have) walk away.

Rugby is such a special sport to me that has given me far more than two fucked knees.
    Literally as recently as this morning I caught up with a 1st XV fellow player/mate watching his son in a trial, along with our Coach of 34 years ago!
    Sadly I have never been in a position (geographically) to do the whole Club scene, my "career" ending when I left school for the bush, but I have watched on from afar with great envy when mates who have played on catch up with players from opposition teams from the different generations.
    But then, maybe if I had I might be more jaded and critical of the Force...

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    "Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

Legend Contributor brokendown gunfighter's Avatar
    vCash
    nah,you are on the right track,Burgs

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    Just on the "deliberately" setting out to play poorly". My take may be a little different in some aspects; like repeatedly using tactics that are failing unless the coach demands that- then it's on him; not sticking to a game plan, not competing on EVERY play possible. These blokes are pros and are accountable.

vCash
    I completely understand the dichotomy of the sea of blue.

I too am a foundation member and have gladly forked out membership fees when I know due to the nature of my work I have only been home for one or two games per season.

I was talking with Sindenberry on the pitch when he got the call after the Kings game and saw first hand delivering the news whilst I was trying to get my kids autographs. Still cuts deep.

The only thing I expect from my western force is the effort deserving of their privileged position as professional rugby players!

Last edited by WFDom; 09-04-24 at 22:24.

Legend Court Reporter
    Contributor
    vCash
    All teams have good games and bad games.

We were great in our win over the Reds, but you can't say Wilson's two dropped kick-offs were normal for him. One led directly to a try.

Remember our 2006 game against the championship winning Crusaders? Sometimes you play a blinder and sometimes you don't. Good teams generate pressure which leads to oppositions losing their mojo.

The Blues are a good side but are often flat track bullies. If you let them get a head of steam, they will run riot. They looked shithouse a few weeks before against the Waratahs (who also looked shithouse).

Until we have a better squad, we have to accept that there'll be games like that.

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.

Legend Contributor brokendown gunfighter's Avatar
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by James View Post
    All teams have good games and bad games.

We were great in our win over the Reds, but you can't say Wilson's two dropped kick-offs were normal for him. One led directly to a try.

Remember our 2006 game against the championship winning Crusaders? Sometimes you play a blinder and sometimes you don't. Good teams generate pressure which leads to oppositions losing their mojo.

The Blues are a good side but are often flat track bullies. If you let them get a head of steam, they will run riot. They looked shithouse a few weeks before against the Waratahs (who also looked shithouse).

Until we have a better squad, we have to accept that there'll be games like that.
    the squad per se is ok,except many of the better players are injured,lol

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by brokendown gunfighter View Post
    the squad per se is ok,except many of the better players are injured,lol
    You should listen to the Tahs media unit on Stan bleating about how hard done by they are through injury.

I wish we had the Tah's "injury Crisis"

C'mon the

vCash
    Fortunately I usually watch at least one match replay per day across English Premiership & UK Supermungo early in the week. I just like watching matches. And usually just switch on at kick-off. Saves me ever watching that dribble fest. Bout as likely to go there as to SoB Bookface.

"The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by shasta View Post
    Fortunately I usually watch at least one match replay per day across English Premiership & UK Supermungo early in the week. I just like watching matches. And usually just switch on at kick-off. Saves me ever watching that dribble fest. Bout as likely to go there as to SoB Bookface.
    Stand to be corrected, but think Gigs was referring to the "Between Two Posts/Rugby Heaven" apologist fest.

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Burgs View Post
    Stand to be corrected, but think Gigs was referring to the "Between Two Posts/Rugby Heaven" apologist fest.
    That's how I read it too. I sometimes watch SR with the sound off as well.

vCash
    No correction required mate

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    C'mon the

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GIGS20 View Post
    No correction required mate
    In further news on this matter, I noted with interest the Between Two Posts Randwick love-fest's preference for Randwick players when assigning their 3-2-1 points this week.

Have wanted to do a bit of research to see whether it's confirmed, but immediately after them talking about Turinui tearing up in the Commentary box when a kid he has coached since juniors kicked the winning drop goal and Hoiles giving detailed information about his club involvements they all gave him points.

Not saying those points werent' deserved, but two of the three then went on to give points to Ned Hanigan (Randwick) and it set me to thinking.

How many points have Randwick players amassed in this system compared to other clubs?

If I get enough time to do the numbers, I'll report back.

C'mon the

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    If I get enough time to do the numbers, I'll report back.
    This'll get you started

Cale 15
    Wright T 14
    Daugunu 10
    McWright 10
    Wilson 9
    Edmed 8
    Uru 8
    Kellaway 7
    Lancaster 6
    Paisami 5
    Hannigan 4
    Perese 4
    Tizzano 4
    Kemeny 3
    Lolesio 3
    Slipper 3
    Stewart 3
    Valetini 3
    Canham 2
    Faessler 2
    Gordon C 2
    Heaven 2
    Kuenzle 2
    Pollard 2
    Gordon J 1
    Harrison 1
    Lynagh 1
    McDermott 1
    Potter 1
    Ravai 1
    Reimer 1
    Swinton 1
    Thompson-Stringer 1
    Tupou 1
    Uelese 1

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    This'll get you started

Cale 15
    Wright T 14
    Daugunu 10
    McWright 10
    Wilson 9
    Edmed 8
    Uru 8
    Kellaway 7
    Lancaster 6
    Paisami 5
    Hannigan 4
    Perese 4
    Tizzano 4
    Kemeny 3
    Lolesio 3
    Slipper 3
    Stewart 3
    Valetini 3
    Canham 2
    Faessler 2
    Gordon C 2
    Heaven 2
    Kuenzle 2
    Pollard 2
    Gordon J 1
    Harrison 1
    Lynagh 1
    McDermott 1
    Potter 1
    Ravai 1
    Reimer 1
    Swinton 1
    Thompson-Stringer 1
    Tupou 1
    Uelese 1
    On it

Last edited by GIGS20; 17-04-24 at 14:54.
    C'mon the

vCash
    On it
    Nothing in it, I'm full of shit

C'mon the

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast