Thread: Reds' season rocked by two key suspensions

Immortal Contributor The InnFORCEr's Avatar
    vCash

Reds' season rocked by two key suspensions

Trevor Marshallsea
    AAP
    April 15, 2024 8:46PM

The Queensland Reds' troubled Super Rugby Pacific campaign has been further rocked by three-week suspensions for captain Tate McDermott and his fellow Wallaby Fraser McReight.

After a third straight loss on Sunday against Moana Pasifika, McDermott was outed by the Super Rugby Pacific foul play review committee (FPRC) after receiving a red card for striking Irie Papuni with a swinging arm while bringing him to ground in a tackle.

McReight was suspended for a high tackle on William Havili later in Queensland's 17-14 defeat in Whangarei.

The two Wallabies' bans could not have come at a worse time for Les Kiss's outfit, reeling from successive losses to the Western Force, the ACT Brumbies, and Moana Pasifika.

In its findings, the FPRC said the "entry point" of suspensions for McDermott's offence was six weeks, assessed as "mid-range for intentional and deliberate physical abuse of striking with arm to the side of the victim player's head where the victim player was in an vulnerable position with limited ability, if any, to defend himself".

McDermott was, however, given a three-week "discount" for an early guilty plea, and other mitigating factors including remorse and a prior exemplary disciplinary record.

Of McReight's hit, the FPRC said: "The FPRC was concerned by the 'upright nature of the tackle' and determined that it was an 'always illegal' act of foul play.

"In those circumstances mitigation would not apply," it said in a statement.

The suspensions for both Reds extend up to and including May 4, meaning they can not play in that day's fixture against the Crusaders, but can return against the Melbourne Rebels on Friday, May 10.

Queensland have now slid to sixth on the Super Rugby Pacific ladder, going from 3-1 to 3-4.

https://www.perthnow.com.au/sport/ru...ons-c-14324124

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    80 Minutes, 15 Positions, No Protection, Wanna Ruck?

Ruck Me, Maul Me, Make Me Scrum!

Education is Important, but Rugby is Importanter!

Immortal Contributor The InnFORCEr's Avatar
    vCash
    Now comparing the recent suspensions last week and this week with what Markey faced week one and he certainly was hard done by with 4 weeks.

80 Minutes, 15 Positions, No Protection, Wanna Ruck?

Ruck Me, Maul Me, Make Me Scrum!

Education is Important, but Rugby is Importanter!

vCash
    I haven't seen Tate's tackle l but is there any comparison to Toole's tackle on Potter that was "nothing to see here"?

Also tongue in cheek, who is the FPRC. The Reds next 3 weeks is against kiwi sides.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by The InnFORCEr View Post
    Now comparing the recent suspensions last week and this week with what Markey faced week one and he certainly was hard done by with 4 weeks.
    I think Marley was a second offence, the first one in the U20 World Cup last year, where I think he got three.

Simon Cron: “People talk about winning and losing all the time and they are critical, but there’s a process to get into and it’s the ability to stay present, do your job and execute skills under pressure.”

Player
    vCash
    Marley got 6 weeks and it was reduced by 2 for an early guilty plea.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Leo86 View Post
    I haven't seen Tate's tackle l but is there any comparison to Toole's tackle on Potter that was "nothing to see here"?

Also tongue in cheek, who is the FPRC. The Reds next 3 weeks is against kiwi sides.
    Tate can consider himself lucky getting a 50% reduction to for admitting the bleeding obvious. It was deliberate act of f@ckwittery. How that equates to McReight's accidental incident is a mystery. Like so many others.

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    "The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

vCash
    McReight should have said he was attempting a headbutt.

Would have got off with two weeks

3 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    C'mon the

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Keeps getting worse for the Reds, Uru out for 4-6 weeks following thumb surgery.
    Takes away the option to move him to the Backrow to cover the absence of McReight.

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Burgs View Post
    Keeps getting worse for the Reds, Uru out for 4-6 weeks following thumb surgery.
    Takes away the option to move him to the Backrow to cover the absence of McReight.
    "and centre Josh Flook (shoulder) also in doubt..."

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

Legend Contributor blueandblack's Avatar
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Leo86 View Post

Quote Originally Posted by shasta View Post
    Tate can consider himself lucky getting a 50% reduction to for admitting the bleeding obvious. It was deliberate act of f@ckwittery. How that equates to McReight's accidental incident is a mystery. Like so many others.
    Tate could very well transition to AEW or WWE with his swinging arm

"12 Years a Supporter" starring the #SeaOfBlue