Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Hurting Force determined to climb off the canvass

Immortal Contributor The InnFORCEr's Avatar
    vCash

Hurting Force determined to climb off the canvass

Justin Chadwick
    AAP
    May 3, 2024 1:56PM

Western Force coach Simon Cron says his players should feel the sting of being bottom of the Super Rugby Pacific ladder ahead of Saturday's clash with the Chiefs in Waikato.

The Force (2-7) slumped to last spot on the back of last week's heartbreaking 7-6 loss to the Highlanders in Dunedin.

Despite having snared just two victories for the season, the Force will be a chance to make the finals if they can win three of their final five games.

They have thrown away winning opportunities against the Rebels, Brumbies and Highlanders this season, and Cron says his players should feel hurt by being in last spot.

"It has to sting, especially when we've had so many opportunities," he said on Friday.

"The Brumbies, the Rebels - where we've got out in front and been in control of games - we've let them go.

"And the Highlanders game - just not throwing the ball away.

"I think for any competitor it stings you. But it's where you are, and it's now about what we do with it."

The Force will be without former Wallabies lock Sam Carter (hamstring) for the next few weeks, while star halfback Nic White (knee) will miss the Chiefs clash.

First-year captain Jeremy Williams has endured a stop-start season due to a concussion and calf injury, but he is back in the starting side against the Chiefs (6-3) and ready to lead from the front.

"The big message for 'Jez" is just lead by doing, lead by your actions and the way you play, and the rest will follow," Cron said.

"He's a big body, we've missed him. You could see when he came off the bench (last week), we got some good go-forward in the middle of the field."

Wallabies lock Izack Rodda will start off the bench this week as part of a plan to manage his minutes following a series of long-term foot injuries.

The Force haven't won on the road since defeating Moana Pasifika 48-28 in Auckland on May 24, 2022 when Tim Sampson was still coach.

"I just like winning. I don't care if it's on the road, or at home," Cron said.

Meanwhile, the Force have announced that club legend Matt Hodgson has been promoted from his role of general manager of rugby into the newly created position as director of strategic projects.

The new position is part of the Force's ambition to create a world class rugby program with state-of-the-art facilities and their long-term vision to be the leaders in Australian rugby.

Chris Goodman has been elevated to the vacant general manager of rugby role, moving up from the club's general manager of academy position.

https://www.perthnow.com.au/sport/ru...ass-c-14535839

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    80 Minutes, 15 Positions, No Protection, Wanna Ruck?

Ruck Me, Maul Me, Make Me Scrum!

Education is Important, but Rugby is Importanter!

vCash
    When is a knock on advantage not a knock on advantage?

vCash
    When you get a bigger advantage from a touched kick into touch but the ref ignores it..

vCash
    And the opposition then gets a scrum penalty.. seriously ref??

vCash
    Gonna be a loong 80 minutes

vCash
    Wtf?????

vCash
    Under the pump from the get go. At least 4 players left early - and 3 of them got to the ruck and won a penalty. Never got a lot better.

"The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

vCash
    Shouldn't that have been a penalty? The chief's player made no attempt to catch it, just knock it down?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by andrewM View Post
    Shouldn't that have been a penalty? The chief's player made no attempt to catch it, just knock it down?

No. Deliberate knock down. But backwards which is legal. Just shows how silly that law can be. The intent is the same.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    "The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

vCash
    This is painful, just when I thought they had at least redeemed the first thirty minutes they do something stupid again..

vCash
    Jeez I'm glad I forgot this was on.

vCash
    So for those who rubbished anybody who wasn't sure about Kurtley Beale after the Crusaders match. I'd suggest they have a look at this one.

It was classic bad Kurtley, I didn't see him take a single play that wasn't self-important hero crap running away from support into the teeth of the d.

C'mon the

vCash
    I had to turn it off around the 50min mark, it was just too frustrating. The NZ ref kicked things off by awarding 8 straight penalties against the Force. Did he really think the Chiefs needed a hand to beat the Force?

Rookie
    vCash
    Glad I went to the Paly Neddies game rather than watch the Force match on TV by the sound of it!

vCash
    Stan’s crappy service saved me some frustration! Jumping from the 32 minute mark to 68th saved me some anguish.
    Really starting to wonder why I bother paying. Every time we watch it on delayed it jumps forward and there is nobody touching any remotes! Normally very frustrating but today was a blessing.

May the FORCE be with you!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast