Thread: Australia U20s South Africa at Sunshine Coast Stadium on Tuesday 7 May

vCash

Australia U20s South Africa at Sunshine Coast Stadium on Tuesday 7 May

Australia U20s to play South Africa at Sunshine Coast Stadium on Tuesday 7 May, 7:00pm AEST

Starters

1 Jack Barrett (Waratahs)
    2 Tavi Tuipulotu (Rebels)
    3 Nick Bloomfield (Reds)
    4 Toby Macpherson (Brumbies – captain)
    5 Ollie McCrea (Waratahs)
    6 Ben Di Staso (Waratahs)
    7 Dane Sawers (Force)
    8 Jack Harley (Brumbies)
    9 Hwi Sharples (Waratahs)
    10 Cullen Gray (Brumbies)
    11 Angus Staniforth (Brumbies)
    12 Ronan Leahy (Force – vice captain)
    13 Frankie Goldsbrough (Reds)
    14 Kauri Tipene-Grace (Force)
    15 Shane Wilcox (Brumbies)

Finishers

16. Bryn Edwards (Waratahs)
    17. Lington Ieli (Brumbies)
    18. Tevita Alatini (Brumbies)
    19. Harvey Cordukes (Brumbies)
    20. Joe Liddy (Reds)
    21. Doug Philipson (Force)
    22. Joey Fowler (Rebels)
    23. Divad Palu (Rebels)

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Simon Cron: “People talk about winning and losing all the time and they are critical, but there’s a process to get into and it’s the ability to stay present, do your job and execute skills under pressure.”

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Harry McLaughlin-Phillips and Dom Thygesen called into Australia U20s squad

Tue, May 7, 2024, 9:00 AM
    Lachlan Grey

Queensland Reds playmaker Harry McLaughlin Phillips has been called into the Australia U20 squad ahead of Sunday's clash with New Zealand.

The 20-year-old has made six appearances with two starts in Super Rugby Pacific this season and was most recently an unused substitute in the Reds' 33-28 win over the Crusaders in Christchurch.

Catch all the action from TRC U20 LIVE and exclusive on Stan Sport.

Now, McLaughlin-Phillips will get the chance to impress in green and gold - and familiar surrounds - at the inaugural TRC U20.

"I only found out I was coming up yesterday arvo," McLaughlin-Phillips told rugby.com.au.

"There was a bit of communication between Les (Kiss) and Greysie (Nathan Grey) after the game against the Crusaders. I was kept in the loop and headed up Monday.

"It's great to be back with the boys, nice to do it up here at home. The family were there last week, they'll be there tonight watching and supporting along.

"There's a few of us from school (Brisbane Boys College) here as well, Toby (Macpherson), Lington (Ieli), Xavier (Rubens) so there's a bit of a crew."

McLaughlin-Phillips was a breakout star in Australia's 2023 U20 World Championship in South Africa last year, scoring nine points off the tee against New Zealand in their fifth-place semi final clash before spearheading a 57-33 win over Wales from fullback.

The Sunshine Coast product won't line up against South Africa in tonight's clash (7pm AEST) but frames a trump card for coach Nathan Grey to deploy alongside playmakers Cullen Gray and Joey Fowler in their final TRC U20 game against New Zealand.

"Definitely good memories against NZ, always good to get one over them," McLaughlin-Phillips said.

"We won two from three against them last year so hoping to make it three from four this time around."

McLaughlin-Phillips' clubmate Dom Thygesen has also joined the Australia U20 squad from Souths Magpies as lock cover.

Both trained with the non-23 group on Tuesday morning and will be available for selection against New Zealand.

Grey has made 10 changes to Australia's starting XV with Dane Sawers, Ollie McCrea, Frankie Goldsbrough, Kauri Tipene-Grace, Lington Ieli and Divad Palu all set to make their first appearance of the tournament.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    "Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Australia U20s ready to up the tempo against South Africa's "big boys"

Tue, May 7, 2024, 5:00 AM
    Lachlan Grey

Australia U20s won’t be daunted by the size of South Africa’s pack heading into Tuesday night’s TRC U20 clash on the Sunshine Coast.

The Junior Springboks impressed at scrum time during a 13-all draw with New Zealand last week and will look to target Nathan Grey’s side after the Aussies conceded five scrum penalties in their 25-6 loss to Argentina.

Catch all the action from TRC U20 LIVE and exclusive on Stan Sport.

But with conditions clearing on the Sunshine Coast and 10 changes to Australia's starting line up, flanker Aden Ekanayake believes his side can up the tempo and take the fight to South Africa.

“We’re a pretty skillful team that likes to play a style of footy where we throw the long passes. It won’t just be around the corner stuff,” Ekanayake told rugby.com.au

“South Africa will definitely be a challenge. They’re a quality team with big boys but we’ve got big boys as well … and I definitely think we have the crop to give the World Cup and the rest of these games a red-hot crack.”

A product of Barker College and Gordon Rugby Club, Ekanayake has enjoyed a breakout 12 months featuring game time with the Aussie Sevens and a stint as Australian Schools & 18s skipper.

“Sevens is always fun and but it’s always good to get back into 15s, especially representing your country,” Ekanayake said.

“The professionalism and training load is insane at Sevens and it’s a big toll on the body … but the way the boys carry themselves and the standards they set is something I’ve definitely taken across into 15s.”

Australia U20s kick off against the Junior Springboks at 7pm AEST on Tuesday 7 May live and exclusive on Stan Sport.

Admission to Sunshine Coast Stadium is free with TRC U20 games commencing at 5pm AEST (New Zealand v Argentina).

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    A convincing 43-20 win for NZ over Argentina.

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    First points to Australia after 20, 3-0.
    Not going to commentate, but worth watching.
    Force could do worse than to pilfer Angus Staniforth off the Brumbies!
    Very exciting prospect.

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    10-7 Aus at HT

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Shane Wilcox double helps Australia post maiden TRC U20 win over South Africa

Tue, May 7, 2024, 7:30 PM
    Lachlan Grey

Australia U20s have registered their first win of the inaugural TRC U20, defeating South Africa 24-19 at Sunshine Coast Stadium.

Fullback Shane Wilcox starred with two tries while playmakers Cullen Gray and Joey Fowler and winger Angus Staniforth were influential in the five-point win.

South Africa were reduced to 14 men in the 19th minute after an illegal cleanout saw Mbasa Maqubela red carded but threatened to steal the game late with Litelihle Bester scoring a second half double.

Ill discipline proved the Junior Springboks downfall late as Bathobele Hlekani saw yellow for collapsing a maul, gifting Australia a crucial penalty try.

Earlier, the sides played out a scoreless opening 28 minutes with Staniforth dangerous on the attack with two early line breaks.

A Cullen Gray penalty finally opened the scoring before the Junior Springboks hit back through JF van Heerden from close range.

Trailing 7-3, Australia found space through Gray, who broke the line from 50 metres out to set up Wilcox’s first try in the 34th minute, setting up a 10-7 half time lead.

The second half opened much last the first with a scoreless 20-minute period before Bester scorched onto a lovely short ball and through the defence from close range.

Not to be outdone, Australia hit back with Staniforth showing a clean pair of hands and heels down the right touchline to set up Wilcox’s second in the 65th minute.

A 72nd minute rolling maul resulted in a penalty try and Hlekani’s sin binning to put the hosts ahead 24-14 before Bester’s second against the run of play set up a grandstand finish.

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    A pretty interesting match to watch.
    Foul (maybe "fowl", ie ducks...) conditions again, but at least not the sheet water on the field this time.
    Both sides will acknowledge some sub par skills in the running game, particularly in the "last pass" for a couple of potential Aus tries.
    The difference for mine was the Australian Forwards and specifically body height.
    As usual, the Junior Springboks were born where meat is cheap, they are huge!
    It was confirmed by the Australian Captain's post match remarks that they had targeted hitting hard, but more than that in my observation, they got under the tackler and under the ball carrier pretty much all night.
    Coupled with a win against the feed and a couple of lineout pilfers, they definitely took the honours against an imposing opposition.
    You can absolutely see reflections of Coach Nathan Grey defensively, with a real hardness in the tackles.
    The Force lads had great individual matches and I think, without going back to check, for a few minutes all four were on the field while Leahy was acting Captain, which is really quite remarkable for the future in WA.
    Special mention to Sawyers for an 80 minute performance, including a disallowed try (bobbled the ball tripping over the SA #4 as he was placing it) that became the Penalty Try.
    He "deserved it" for mine, for a great performance all night, though clearly it was a knock on.
    Sunday's match against the Junior All Blacks should be a cracker, keeping in mind they only achieved a draw in their match against SA.
    So, unless there is some other bizarre permutation (Womens Super Rugby Finals reference...) in this first past the post competition, an Australia win will see the inaugural U20 Rugby Championship won by the Hosts.
    That would be a huge boost for the Squad heading to South Africa for the Junior World Cup, particularly as I understand there to be a couple of Super Rugby players still to come in.
    Finally, it was a great encouragement to see Captain Macpherson's comments around being "I think it is a testament to Australian Rugby and that is the way we want to play. We're sick of being in the position we're in."
    Presumably "we" is Australian Rugby as a whole in this instance, at least that is what I took him to mean.
    I don't want to go too early, but I am starting to see similarities to the Ella era Australian Schoolboys pathway that lead to the golden years we (Australians) yearn for. If that ends up being hard hitting Forward dominance rather than "the running game", then so be it.
    However, the glimpses are also there of very impressive Backs and a Squad with genuine "Rugby IQ".
    Do yourself a favour and watch a replay and be front and centre on Sunday, 1320WST!
    Get onboard!!!

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

Legend Court Reporter
    Contributor
    vCash
    If we beat the JABs, I think the Argies beating the Boks will give them the crown. Bonus points may come in. Is it 4 tries or +3?

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.

vCash
    Western Force Academy boys applied themselves well.

Dane Sawyers was very good, got involved and gave it everything.

Rohan Leahy, like always gave 110% but was often just trying a bit too hard and a bit of patience will help get that potential he is showing.

Kauri Tipene-Grace showed some good glimpses, and like Rohan a bit more game time and patience will help achieve his potential.

A good ten minute cameo from Doug Philipson. Typically gritty , talkative scrumhalf. I like the way he plays and he appears to have a lot of confidence and attitude.

Simon Cron: “People talk about winning and losing all the time and they are critical, but there’s a process to get into and it’s the ability to stay present, do your job and execute skills under pressure.”