Thread: Wood & Malcolm Heke set to make Wallaroos debuts against Canada

Immortal Contributor
    vCash

Wood & Malcolm Heke set to make Wallaroos debuts against Canada

Thu, May 9, 2024, 6:05 AM
    Ben Somerford

Local Western Force duo Samantha Wood and Hera-Barb Malcolm Heke are set to make their international debuts on Saturday having been named as finishers for the Wallaroos’ clash with Canada.

The Kalamunda duo enjoyed breakout 2024 Super W seasons for the Force, leading to their maiden Wallaroos’ call-ups last month.

The pair have now been rewarded with selection for Saturday’s Pacific Four Series clash with Canada in Sydney from 2:55pm WST, with the game live on 9GEM and Stan Sport.

Force duo Michaela Leonard and Trilleen Pomare will both start at lock and inside-centre respectively. Leonard will captain the side.

Scrum-half and ARKS product Wood, 19, started every game in the 2024 Super W season, having debuted in the final round in 2023, pulling the strings as playmaker, assisting several tries and scoring 10 penalties and five conversions with her accurate boot.

Hooker Malcolm-Heke, 24, took her game to another level in 2024 having debuted back in 2019. The fearsome front-rower and Kalamunda Kweenz captain scored three tries from six games this season, taking her career Super W tally to four tries in 19 caps.

Wallaroos coach Jo Yapp said: “Hera-Barb, Sam and Sally (Fuesaina) are all deserving of their opportunity to make their debut and I’m looking forward to them making an impact in this team. “The girls are excited to play their first Test match of the year and put in a good performance at Allianz Stadium in front of our home fans.”

The Australia-Canada clash will also see the Force quartet come up against club teammate Sara Cline, who has linked up with the Canucks for the Pacific Four Series.

ACT Brumbies hooker Tania Naden will start ahead of Malcolm-Heke while NSW Waratahs’ half-back Layne Morgan will start at 9 with Wood on the bench.

Game details

Wallaroos v Canada

Saturday 11 May, 2:55pm WST

Allianz Stadium, Sydney

Live on 9GEM and Stan Sport

Wallaroos

1. Brianna Hoy (NSW Waratahs) – 3 caps
    2. Tania Naden (ACT Brumbies) – 10 caps
    3. Bridie O'Gorman (NSW Waratahs) – 17 caps
    4. Kaitlan Leaney (NSW Waratahs) – 15 caps
    5. Michaela Leonard (c) (Western Force) – 22 caps
    6. Siokapesi Palu (ACT Brumbies) – 6 caps
    7. Ashley Marsters (Melbourne Rebels) – 26 caps
    8. Piper Duck (NSW Waratahs) – 10 caps
    9. Layne Morgan (NSW Waratahs) – 19 caps
    10. Arabella McKenzie (NSW Waratahs) – 21 caps
    11. Desiree Miller (NSW Waratahs) – 2 caps
    12. Trilleen Pomare (Western Force) – 24 caps
    13. Georgina Friedrichs (NSW Waratahs) – 19 caps
    14. Maya Stewart (NSW Waratahs) – 8 caps
    15. Lori Cramer (Queensland Reds) – 19 caps

16. Hera-Barb Malcolm Heke* (Western Force) - debut
    17 Sally Fuesaina* (ACT Brumbies) – debut
    18. Eva Karpani (NSW Waratahs) – 21 caps
    19. Atasi Lafai (NSW Waratahs) – 9 caps
    20. Leilani Nathan (NSW Waratahs) – 2 caps
    21. Tabua Tuinakauvadra (ACT Brumbies) – 4 caps
    22. Samantha Wood* (Western Force) - debut
    23. Faitala Moleka (ACT Brumbies) – 6 caps

*Denotes potential debut

Three debutants confirmed as Yapp names first Wallaroos side to face Canada

Thu, May 9, 2024, 5:55 AM
    Nathan Williamson

Wallaroos coach Jo Yapp has confirmed her first side of her coaching tenure ahead of Saturday's Pacific Four opener against Canada in Sydney.

Yapp has named three potential debutants, with Hera-Barb Malcolm Heke, Sally Fuesaina and Samantha Wood included as part of the reserves.

Malcolm Heke and Wood have been rewarded after proving integral in the Western Force's maiden finals appearance, whilst 32-year-old Fuesaina's standout season for the Brumbies has seen her included alongside Wallaroo Player of the Year Eva Karpani.

The starting side is similar to the team that defeated Wales to conclude 2023 with a few positional tweaks.

Michaela Leonard captains the side, joined in the second row by Kaitlan Leaney, who finished the year as a back-rower.

Leaney's shift coincides with the return of Piper Duck at number eight, whilst Bridie O'Gorman starts in the front row.

Arabella McKenzie joins Waratahs teammate Layne Morgan in the halves, with Force skipper Trileen Pomare partnering Georgina Friedrichs in the centres.

Lori Cramer has been named at fullback to round off an experienced Wallaroos side, complementing Waratahs' wingers Maya Stewart and Desiree Miller in an electric back three.

Cramer, Morgan and Friedrichs will bring up 20 caps for the Wallaroos, one of eight in the side to have achieved the milestone. It's a stark contrast from two years ago in former coach Jay Tregonning's first Test when Liz Patu (23) was the only player with that experience in their opening Test of 2022 against Fijiana.

Yapp backed the experience to shine through against fourth-ranked Canada, out to start their Test season on a high.

“We’re really happy with how the squad has connected over the past week and training in Blacktown has been a great environment for the players to prepare in camp,” Yapp said.

“Hera-Barb, Sam and Sally are all deserving of their opportunity to make their debut and I’m looking forward to them making an impact in this team.

“The girls are excited to play their first Test match of the year and put in a good performance at Allianz Stadium in front of our home fans.”

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    "Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    How good is this!
    A real milestone and vindication for WA Rugby

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    "Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Wood set for Wallaroos debut: 'I’m going to make the most of this'

Fri, May 10, 2024, 2:52 PM
    Ben Somerford

Western Force scrum-half Sammy Wood says making her international debut has been her dream since being a little kid but she only thought it was possible this year.

The 19-year-old ARKS product is in line to make her Wallaroos debut on Saturday when they face Canada in the opening game of the Pacific Four Series from 2:55pm WST in Sydney.

“It’s been a dream of mine ever since I was little,” Wood told reporters on Thursday.

“This year when I started performing well I was hoping it’d happen.

“I’m really thankful of this opportunity and I’m going to make the most of it.”

Wood started every game in the 2024 Buildcorp Super Rugby Women’s season, having debuted in the final round in 2023, pulling the strings as playmaker, assisting several tries and scoring 10 penalties and five conversions with her accurate boot. That form built hype around her maiden Wallaroos call-up, which she recalled.

“I was on the way to uni,” she said. “It was so cool to hear those words. It’s a dream I’ve had ever since I was little.

“Calling my mum and then my dad was really special to tell them the news since they’ve been part of this journey as well.”

The young half-back said she’d developed that belief after a strong season with the Force, who made the Super W semi-finals for the first time.

“The coaches and the players they brought in allowed me to play my game of rugby,” he said.

“I had some incredible forwards and backs running off me. It makes my job easy.

“At this level, it makes my job easy just to play my game.”

Wood will start on the bench on Saturday as the back-up scrum-half to Layne Morgan. The pair are the only two scrum-halves in the wider Wallaroos squad, prompting Wood to suspect she may get a debut this series.

“I was a bit shocked that there was only two scrum-halves,” she said.

“I was trying to talk to myself and not become complacent and give Layne a bit of competition as well.

“I feel like I’ve been training really well. Hopefully get an opportunity this week.”

Force hooker Hera-Barb Malcolm Heke is also set to make her debut off the bench, while Michaela Leonard and Trilleen Pomare will start.

Leonard, who will captain the side, spoke about the debutants Wood, Malcolm Heke and Brumbies prop Sally Fuesaina.

"Really excited for them," Leonard said. "I hope they get the chance to get out there this weekend, but it's just the beginning for them and we'll see a lot of growth over the next couple of years with those three players."

The game will be broadcast live on 9GEM and streamed on Stan Sport.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    "Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Canada to test Wallaroos top four ambitions as Yapp era begins in Pacific Four opener

Fri, May 10, 2024, 12:05 PM
    Nathan Williamson

Wallaroos captain Michaela Leonard believes fourth-ranked Canada will be the perfect test for the side's lofty ambitions as they open their 2024 Test season on Saturday at Allianz Stadium.

The Wallaroos head into the Pacific Four opener under new coach Jo Yapp looking to back up their WXV 1 heroics to end last year.

Under former coach Jay Tregonning, they defeated third-ranked France and seventh-placed Wales on their way to a third-place finish in the tournament.

With less than 18 months to go until the 2025 World Cup, Leonard and the Wallaroos hope the Pacific Four series on home soil can be the springboard to reignite their climb up the rankings and challenge the Canadians to be a top-four nation in the world

"The last 18 months have seen a massive growth in the group on and off the field around our standards and culture so the group is in a good place at the moment," Leonard believes.

"I think there's been a shift in the group in how much we expect from ourselves, how much we're willing to put in and with the contracting over the last few years, it's given girls an opportunity to develop a bit more as well.

"I think with more time with ball in hand last year (thanks to the increased Test schedule) and a great Super Rugby W platform this year, I think that'll be the biggest change for us.

"It's really exciting to have Canada as our opening game this year and leading into the 2025 World Cup, it's a perfect platform to see where we're standing, what work we need to do and show where we are at the moment and where we're willing to go over the next two years."

Canada has already played their opening game of the series, comfortably defeating the USA 50-7 before arriving in Australia.

In contrast, the Wallaroos will have had nine days to prepare after the conclusion of Super Rugby Women's.

Despite this, coach Jo Yapp is confident they can make the necessary tweaks to bring the best out of the squad.

“Coming into the Pac Four, we’ve got a really tight turnaround into these games so it’s a bit of explore and see where we are at," Yapp said.

“On the back of this, we have a lot more Test time time and a lot more camp time together so I think we can really accelerate this group.

“…We’ve come in and tried to implement from the start how we want to play, whether we can turn it around quick for Canada…there’s definitely bits in there that we’ve seen from the girls already in the Scots run out.

“We’ve come in and put our game plan on it so it’s now to the girls to see how they can put that game together on Saturday with such a short turnaround."

Leonard backed the free-flowing approach Yapp is bringing to their game plan, noticing the growth already in the short period.

"The coaching staff have brought in some really good structures and the environment has allowed the girls to express themselves but also set a really high standard," she added.

"We're playing eyes-up foot, giving girls the freedom to express themselves and play their skill set and the reason that's got them into the squad on Saturday.

"Saturday hopefully will show some fast footy, we're looking to move the ball around and show some high skill as well."

Rebels lock Tiarah Minns has been ruled out of the rest of the series with a shoulder injury. Brumbies lock Ash Fernadez replaces Minns, who has trained as part of the wider squad.

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Black Ferns toweled up USA 57-5, Fullback had a hattrick in 16 minutes!

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Half time Aus 7 Can 19
    Australia have been owned a little in the tight play, but are well in it with it promising to open up into the second 40, which could/should favour Australia's impressive Outside Backs

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Forward power delivers Canada victory over Wallaroos in Sydney

Sat, May 11, 2024, 4:26 PM
    Nathan Williamson

Canada have barged their way to a 33-14 win over the Wallaroos to open Australia's Pacific Four campaign.

In Jo Yapp's first game as coach, the Australians were unable to stop the powerful Canadian pack as they dominated the territory battle.

All five tries came via the front-row as hooker Sara Cline and prop McKinley Hunt crossed for doubles.

The Australians showed glimpses of their class throughout the 80 minutes and gave themselves a chance when they were awarded a penalty try for a deliberate knockdown.

In the end, DaLeaka Menin's try silenced any hopes of a comeback as Canada went to the top of the Pacific Four standings.

The Canadians built their dominance around their rolling maul and forward pack as they looked to outmuscle the Australians.

Western Force hooker Cline opened the scoring for the Canadians at the back of the maul in the fifth minute before loosehead prop Hunt dived over five minutes later when they drove the maul 20 metres.

The Aussies thought they had their opener when Siokapesi Palu barged over down the short side only for the TMO to pull it for a knock-on in the build-up.

However, they didn’t have to wait long when Tania Naden dived over after a strong rolling maul just before the 20-minute mark.

The Canadians kept powering their way through the middle and it eventually produced Clyne’s second try of the night off yet another rolling maul.

Their 19-7 lead at the break which was quickly extended when Hunt got her second after a nice break from Gabrielle Senft.

The Wallaroos refused to die wondering and got themselves back into the contest when they were awarded a penalty try after a Maddy Grant knockdown right on the line.

This sparked the Canadians into action and prop DaLeaka Menin answered straight back when she snuck through the middle and dived under the posts.

The Australians tried to launch a comeback but were let down by their handling as the Canadian pressure was repleteness.

It allowed the visitors to control the game and park inside the Wallaroos 22 for the final quarter of the game to seal the win.

“It was a good first match but obviously disappointed with the result," captain Michaela Leonard said post-match.

“I think we showed the attacking threats we do have when we execute well and we saw that in Maya Stewart and Desiree Miller on the edges. For us, I think it’s just about fixing the execution, focusing on detail and bringing a bit more physicality next week.

“It’s been a whirlwind ten days with a lot of learnings, we saw some of it out there but we also saw a few areas that need fine tuning that we’ll fix up next week.”

WALLAROOS 14 (Highest score against Canada)
    Tries: Naden, Penalty Try

Cons: McKenzie 1/1

CANADA 33
    Tries: Clyne 2, Hunt 2, Menin

Cons: de Goede 4/5

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Five things we learnt from Wallaroos - Canada

Sat, May 11, 2024, 4:53 PM
    Nathan Williamson

Canada spoiled Jo Yapp's first game as Wallaroos coach as they powered their way to a 33-14 victory in Sydney.

The Wallaroos were unable to back up their WXV heroics from last year, struggling to stop a dominant forwards pack.

So what did we learn?

1. Front row feasts
    It was fitting that all 33 points for Canada came from their forward pack as they proved the difference.

Hooker Sara Cline was a big reason behind the Force’s success in Super Rugby W and her double reflected their dominance at set-piece time, joined by props McKinley Hunt and DaLeaka Menin.

At one point, they rolled the Australian pack 20 metres backwards and they had little answer to their power.

The Canadians’ forward pack were immense in setting the tempo early with their physicality, battering the Wallaroos forwards through their pick-and-goes across the 80 minutes.

2. Work to do for top four goal
    The Wallaroos got a great barometer about how much work is left to do if they wish to compete consistently with the best in the world.

It was a rusty start to the Test season against a Canadian side that opened their Pac Four account as the Super Rugby W season was concluding.

The Wallaroos' 14 points were the most they’ve scored against Canada but they failed to deal with the visitors’ rapid ruck speed and physicality.

They will fancy their chances against the USA, who were thumped by New Zealand in Hamilton earlier in the day.

3. Pesi Power
    Siokapesi Palu’s transformation as a backrower has been a joy to watch as she finds a key spot in the Wallaroos pack.

Palu was the Wallaroos' best attacking option in the first half, creating opportunities and looking dangerous whenever she was near the play.

She was denied a great try in the 15th minute that the Brumbies captain started before finishing strong in the corner after a knock-on earlier in the play.

Fellow flanker Ash Marsters was also strong whilst number eight Piper Duck got through a mountain of work.

4. Expose the space
    Jo Yapp will be disappointed with how the Australians failed to take advantage of the numbers early in the second after Maddy Grant’s yellow card.

With the game in the balance, they conceded almost instantly when DaLeaka Menin snuck through the gap whilst engaging in a losing kicking battle.

When they decided to throw the ball around they looked dangerous even when Grant returned, only for the execution to let them down.

It's moments like this where you need to capitalise if you wish to contend with the top teams in the world.

5. Yapp DNA shows in patches
    Wallaroos captain Michaela Leonard talked about a great license to thrill, which showed in glimpses throughout the game.

There were multiple times inside their 22 where they looked to counterattack rather than instantly looking to clear their line.

It’s a dicey game to play with just nine days in camp before this Test and Clyne’s second try came off the back of a loose pass close to their line that invited pressure whilst at moments they were guilty of overthinking

It’ll be exciting to watch when it all comes together with their exciting wingers and ball-playing backrowers.

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    My take-
    Dominated up front by a bigger (on average) team.
    Canada continued into the second half with pick & goes straight through the middle and it was really influential.

It occurs to me that in a Waratah dominant Wallaroos you don't neccesarily have the same defensive experience around the ruck and in the Centres.
    That said, that is possibly behind the selection of Pomare, who played an admirable 80.

I think the Wallaroos really needed a bigger #7 early on, I would be tempted to throw in Tamika Jones in that role, to take the hits and then bring Marsters on as a "Super Sub". Marsters is fantastic, but really didn't show much until the game started to open up.
    As reported above, Palu was very good and robbed of a try (although officially correct) as it had no influence in the play. (Was a line ball roll forward in the preceding maul).
    By her standards, Duck was quiet, but is working her way back from missing almost all of last season and will be better for the run at this level. Some vintage Hamilton was missing, however, she wasn't particularly "vintage" for the Rebs this year either and I think she has returned to France anyway.

We really can't afford cheap turnovers and we are still seeing some basic turnovers, particularly from the Props. I'm not sure if Karpani is carrying an injury still, but I find it hard to justify the 2023 Wallaroo of the Year being on the Bench, as she was throughout SRW this year. She is clearly the best of our Props and I believe needs to be starting and playing until she drops (hopefully at least 60).

Congratulations to Malcolm Heke and Wood for solid debuts and similar to the Under 20's, I'm pretty sure all four Force were on together.

I continue to be impressed with Leonard as a leader and player and believe she has a long future in the Code on and beyond the field.

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Made me laugh, just came across this one. You'd fully assume she is a Kiwi by this and the article linked to-

Waikato halfback Samantha Wood set for Wallaroos debut

Jesse Wood
    11 May, 2024 02:10 AM

Waikato Rugby Farah Palmer Cup player Samantha Wood is preparing to make her Wallaroos international rugby debut against Canada at Sydney’s Allianz Stadium on Saturday.

New Australian coach Jo Yapp has confirmed the first side of her coaching tenure, naming three potential debutants on the bench - Wood, Hera-Barb Malcolm Heke and Sally Fuesaina.

After her second Super W season, Wood has been rewarded after proving integral in the Western Force’s maiden finals appearance.
    https://www.nzherald.co.nz/waikato-n...I53EH24V5WUOE/

Wood will provide back up for New South Wales Waratahs halfback Layne Morgan.

“Excited to say the least - living the dream,” Wood said on Instagram.

Out of Melville Rugby Sports Club, the young Australian halfback made her FPC debut in the 2023 50-0 drubbing of the Bay of Plenty Volcanix at Rotorua International Stadium and appeared seven times for the Waikato province.

“We’re really happy with how the squad has connected over the past week and training in Blacktown has been a great environment for the players to prepare in camp,” Yapp said.

“Hera-Barb, Sam and Sally are all deserving of their opportunity to make their debut and I’m looking forward to them making an impact in this team.

“The girls are excited to play their first test match of the year and put in a good performance at Allianz Stadium in front of our home fans.”

WALLAROOS TEAM TO FACE CANADA
    1. Brianna Hoy (NSW Waratahs) – 3 caps
    2. Tania Naden (ACT Brumbies) – 10 caps
    3. Bridie O’Gorman (NSW Waratahs) – 17 caps
    4. Kaitlan Leaney (NSW Waratahs) – 15 caps
    6. Siokapesi Palu (ACT Brumbies) – 6 caps
    7. Ashley Marsters (Melbourne Rebels) – 26 caps
    8. Piper Duck (NSW Waratahs) – 10 caps
    9. Layne Morgan (NSW Waratahs) – 19 caps
    10. Arabella McKenzie (NSW Waratahs) – 21 caps
    11. Desiree Miller (NSW Waratahs) – 2 caps
    13. Georgina Friedrichs (NSW Waratahs) – 19 caps
    14. Maya Stewart (NSW Waratahs) – 8 caps
    15. Lori Cramer (Queensland Reds) – 19 caps

17 Sally Fuesaina* (ACT Brumbies) – debut
    18. Eva Karpani (NSW Waratahs) – 21 caps
    19. Atasi Lafai (NSW Waratahs) – 9 caps
    20. Leilani Nathan (NSW Waratahs) – 2 caps
    21. Tabua Tuinakauvadra (ACT Brumbies) – 4 caps
    23. Faitala Moleka (ACT Brumbies) – 6 caps

*denotes potential debut

Jesse Wood is a multimedia journalist based in Te Awamutu. He joined the Te Awamutu Courier and NZME in 2020.

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.