Thread: Ryan goes cross country for return to former code

(formerly known as Coach) Your Humble Servant Darren's Avatar
    vCash

Ryan goes cross country for return to former code

http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au...1-2722,00.html
    Bret Harris
    16oct06

FOR someone who has lived his whole life in the same street, Ryan Cross has moved way out of his comfort zone.

Cross grew up in the Sydney beachside suburb of Clovelly and went on to play nine years in the NRL with Sydney Roosters after making his first grade debut as an 18-year-old straight out of school.

When he moved out of his childhood home it was no more than a strong punt kick away and family ties run deep.

But Cross, 27, has moved to the other side of the continent to start a new career with Super 14 team Western Force in Perth.

"When I left school I always wanted to try rugby and this opportunity came up," said Cross, who arrived in Perth with his wife Danielle and daughter Marley last Wednesday. "It's a chance to move away from my comfort zone and test myself. There will be some great opportunities if I play well."

Cross's switch to rugby union is not a complete leap into the unknown. He played fullback for Waverley College in Sydney's eastern suburbs and represented the Australian Schoolboys in 1996-97.

The 1997 Australian team, which featured Wallabies Phil Waugh, George Smith, David Lyons and Adam Freier as well as Rooster Craig Wing, was the last to beat New Zealand Schools.

But Cross's pedigree is pure rugby league.

His father Paul was a flamboyant winger who played 102 games for Eastern Suburbs and Balmain from 1964 to 1974.

"I played a lot of rugby at school," Cross said.

"He (Paul) knew I enjoyed it.

"He's always been a league man, but he's happy to support me.

"He'll have fun coming over and watching me."

Cross also received strong support from his former Roosters coach Ricky Stuart, who switched from rugby union to rugby league.

"Ricky's been very positive," Cross said.

"He supported me. I'll keep in contact with him.

"He's one of the best blokes to speak to."

Cross played centre for the Roosters and has been recruited to play outside centre with the Force, where he is expected to form a dynamic midfield partnership with Test inside centre Matt Giteau.

"I like to be close to the action," Cross said. "I hope I can do the job. I can play wing and fullback as well."

Having not played rugby union for 10 years, Cross said it would take a little bit of time to re-acquaint himself with the 15-a-side game.

"Every game changes," he said. "It's a bit quicker. Some of the rules have changed at the ruck and maul.

"It will take a couple of months to get used to it again and play instinctively. But I feel comfortable with the coaching around me.

"The main thing I'll have to get used to is, when I get tackled, to stay involved.

"In rugby league you just go back to your position, but in rugby union you've got to get in there and be effective at the breakdown."

The Force finished down the bottom end of the Super 14 table in its first season, winning just one game.

But coach John Mitchell has recruited well in the off-season, adding Cross, Giteau and Wallabies outside back Drew Mitchell. Consequently expectations are high for the Force for next season.

"I've had a quick chat with John Mitchell," Cross said. "I'll sit down with him next week and talk about next year.

"The team wants to improve and I want to be a part of that. We've got good players.

"Anything could happen."

Cross, whose highest representative honour in rugby league was to play for the City Origin team, is aiming for the top in rugby union.

His main goal is to play for the Wallabies in the World Cup in France next year.

"Ultimately, that's my biggest goal," he said. "I don't want to think too far ahead.

"I've had a few meetings with (Wallabies coach) John Connolly and they have been positive. If I play well, there will be an opportunity. It's up to me to do the job. I'm going to treat every day like it's my last day and give it 100 per cent."

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Dear Lord, if you give us back Johnny Cash, we'll give you Justin Bieber.

vCash
    Sounds like he is dedicated, hopefully he shows us the money and plays well as well. I really can't pick a Western Force backline without having some real quality on the beach as well, I guess that is a good thing though because there is always going to be injuries. I just hope the backline is not completely different to the one from last year. At the moment I would like this to be the backline...
    9. Henjak
    10. Mackay
    11. Digby
    12. Gits
    13. Staniforth
    14. Mitchell
    15. Sheps

But you see where does Ryan fit into a backline like that? I don't know; but what I do know is that next year the Force will have the best backline in the country!

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Every forwards dream is to become a back...