Thread: Grey mulls over Melbourne move

Immortal Contributor
    vCash

Grey mulls over Melbourne move

Nathan Grey is said to be on Inside Rugby this week, would assue they will foramlly announce it then.

Grey mulls over Melbourne move

Stathi Paxinos, c/o Rugby Heaven
    Tuesday, February 27, 2007

Former Wallabies centre Nathan Grey is set to become the first marquee signing for Victoria’s entrant into the new national competition, which will begin later this year.

Grey, who is playing in Japan for a club side based in Fukuoka, was in Melbourne yesterday to discuss a deal.

The inside-centre, who won the last of his 35 caps in 2003, said he was excited by the prospect of leading and moulding a group of young talent. ‘‘At the moment, I’ve been looking only at Melbourne,’’ Grey said.

‘‘There’s a few things still to be ironed out ... but if we can dot the i’s and cross the t’s, to steal an old cliche, then things are looking quite
    positive.’’

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    "Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    Great. I'll be happy to see some more of Mad Dog.

BTW I hope The Force has a change of heart re some of the boys going to play for Melbourne or wherever. Just as long as they get game time somewhere. Letting a few go elswhere ONLY FOR THE APC will allow players like Stannard, Faluna etc. more time with Force Gold.

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    I hadn't heard a change of heart was required shasta?
    Have you heard they don't want to?
    I agree, the more that can play for Melbourne the more locals we can expose here.
    To win it would be great but, as with the Force, that isn't the priority in the first couple of years.
    I reckon it's great that Grey will be back in Australia, he was one of my favourite Tahs for his hard uncomprimising style and those playing alongside him will learn a lot, especially about defence.
    In an ideal world the ARC will become lucrative enough to stop our fringe players from wanting to go to Japan, if not Europe.

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Burgs
    I hadn't heard a change of heart was required shasta?
    Have you heard they don't want to?
    Well it may be one of those stories in the press that are "out of context" but one of the VRU people had apparently stated that they'd try to get Digby and, I think, Fitter and James among a few others to go back and play for Vic. Fair enough too, although two of them are probably irrelevant now.

Geoff Stooke was quoted as saying (going from memory here) "no way they are contracted to RugbyWA" or similar. Heard no more since.

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Oh, okay.
    I know there was a huge number of Eastern States based players who indicated WA or no one so it's not as if we are short of options.
    I doubt they would get Fitter or James back now but I have no problem with players the likes of Ioane heading home for a season or two.
    It shouldn't be seen as not being good enough for the Force or whatever, just a chance to expose more of our own talent as you say and also an opportunity for our players to work under other Coaches and with other players. It can only be a benefit in the long run.
    I think I wrote up a team of expat or associated Victorians in this ARC forum somewhere?

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Burgs
    I doubt they would get Fitter or James back now but I have no problem with players the likes of Ioane heading home for a season or two.
    Just seen an article about in today's West. They are also chasing Matt Cockbain.

Any lingering doubters of the value of an APC need look no further than last Saturday at Subi. Those young blokes playing for the lions obviously gained heaps of confidence from their Currie Cup exploits last year. Let alone the form of the "second string" Kiwi sides so far.

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    I haven't really looked how the ARC fits with the NH season for players who don't have to worry about National selection.
    It would seem there isn't any selection criteria involved like S14 of having to be able to play for the Wallabies as both Grey and Cockbain would struggle to fit that criteria any more.
    Be great if it helps those players to stay in Australian rugby longer in the future though.
    Dead right about the Lions too shasta, I think they will be a strong team for a few years to come and several people around TWF may have under rated that improvement I think.
    They have also got a strong link in the SA U21's with the Coach too I believe.
    This ARC will do great things for Australia's depth going forward and is a stepping stone to a larger Club comp I believe.

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.