Thread: Get your kit off!!! For SOS IRB Kit Aid

Immortal Contributor
    vCash

Get your kit off!!! For SOS IRB Kit Aid

This is what I think to be a fantastic initiative in the UK that evolved from one "rugby mad dad" deciding to try.
    John Broadfoot's experience was in Romania however I would imagine the same would occur throughout the Pacific Islands as well.
    Reading through the SOS Kit Aid website I have struggled to find any reference to collection or celebrity (past and present players and coaches) support.
    There may be a similar scheme in Australia that I am unaware of, but if not, perhaps there is a need that needs to be addressed for Australia, or at least Western Australia, to assist our neighbours also?
    The below is taken from their website "Background" page, please have a read and a look around their site: www.sosirbkitaid.org

SOS IRB Kit Aid

SOS IRB Kit Aid is simply a non profit making charity founded by a rugby mad dad (John Broadfoot) who saw for himself the plight of Romanian youngsters during a school rugby tour to Romania . The sight of a smiling Romanian eight year old boy running with the ball under one arm whilst he used the other to hold up his shorts made him want to do something about it.

From the experience of his own rugby sons he knew there were several pairs of boots and shirts lying around doing nothing. So to test out the potential John collected kit from just ten schools to see how much kit might be available on a wider scale. The test was an outstanding success both in terms of quantity and quality of kit donated and John persuaded the International Rugby Board to endorse and fund its expansion to 200+ UK schools. The intention eventually is to have 2000+ UK schools/clubs on board distributing kit throughout the world whether it be townships in South Africa, emerging countries like India/Chile or inner city rugby in London or Cardiff.

The short term aspirations are to quadruple the number of youngsters playing rugby in Romania within the next 2 to 3 years by introducing rugby as a core sport in schools in rugby mad Romania. Hopefully Romania will become part of the Seven Nations Tournament in time.

All participating schools/clubs have to do is organise a collection day once a year(aided by centrally produced posters and leaflets), let SOS know when the kit is ready for collection AND THAT'S IT (until next year of course). Remember every year kids keep growing out of their kit so there is a never ending supply. Based on the 10 school project we estimate some £500,000 - £750,000 replacement value of kit is available for collection every year ! There is so little cost involved in collecting this kit, combined with so much goodwill in the rugby community that SOS should become massive in years to come - we simply need you to come on board and join us! COME ON CLICK THAT BUTTON !

From the IRB Website:

SOS IRB Kit Aid tops the £1 million mark

2 NOVEMBER 2006

SOS IRB Kit Aid has announced that it has topped £1 million in kit donations.

The rugby charity has been distributing kit donated by manufacturers, clubs and schools in the UK to clubs and schools in Eastern European developing rugby nations for over five years.

"By the end of 2006, I'm proud to say that we will have distributed £1.2 million pounds worth of kit to nine emerging countries," said the charity's founder John Broadfoot.

With 52 countries on the waiting list to receive kit donations from the burgeoning organisation, Broadfoot and his team have never been busier.

"Next year we plan to take on two more countries and make our first exploratory deliveries into Africa," he said.

"Our supporting Member of Parliament are submitting an early day motion in the House of Commons in recognition of this landmark achievement, which is fantastic.

"The SOS IRB Kit Aid Community Service Project is also now fully approved by the Duke Of Edinburgh Award Scheme and we hope to introduce it too to schools taking the International Baccalaureat exams, which include a Community and Service section."

With nearly 100 area kit collectors and five regional directors, SOS is taking off in Wales, Scotland and Ireland and recent high-profile names to come on board endorsing the project are Graham Henry, Francois Pienaar, Gavin Hastings and Graham Price.

"One of the highlights for me in 2006 was helping two national teams from Georgia and Romania to attend a National Under 16 tournament at Millfield School in England where they played England, Canada, France, and Scotland. It was such a success and both teams have already been invited back next year."

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by Burgs; 15-01-07 at 12:31.
    "Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

Immortal Contributor The InnFORCEr's Avatar
    vCash
    Just shows what a difference one person can make with a good idea and plenty of support.

80 Minutes, 15 Positions, No Protection, Wanna Ruck?

Ruck Me, Maul Me, Make Me Scrum!

Education is Important, but Rugby is Importanter!

Legend Contributor
    vCash
    something we can do here from a W.A. perspective ?

Chuck Norris has the greatest Poker-Face of all time. He won the 1983 World Series of Poker, despite holding only a Joker, a Get out of Jail Free Monopoly card, a 2 of clubs, 7 of spades and a green #4 card from the game Uno.

Legend
    Apprentice Bookie
    vCash
    There is no reason why we cant do something from a TWF perspective. The Least we can do is promote it, and with our very vocal group of Junior Rugby playing members we have a way of getting kit together if we wanted to.

Exile
    Sydney

"Pain heels. Chicks dig scars and Glory lasts forever." Shane Falco

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Got a little plan under my hat, give me a couple of days
    TWF may very well be a great support network for the idea though if there are enough keen types out there.
    It revolves around Scotch being the only International Baccalaureat school in WA (as far I know, surely the only Rugby one anyway)....

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

Legend
    Apprentice Bookie
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Burgs
    International Baccalaureat
    what the????

Holla if you need a hand

the Members of the Eastern Force would be happy to help

Exile
    Sydney

"Pain heels. Chicks dig scars and Glory lasts forever." Shane Falco

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Check out the bit in blue in the original post X.
    Int Bac is a type of education system which came in after I was there but, long story short, part of it is that each student has to do a significant community "project" during it.
    Stay tuned.

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Burgs
    It revolves around Scotch being the only International Baccalaureat school in WA (as far I know, surely the only Rugby one anyway)....
    PLC are also doing the IB burgs (being the sister school to scotch) but yes, We are the only Rugby one.

Legend Contributor fulvio sammut's Avatar
    vCash
    How many silver spoons do these Romanian kids need anyway?

Let me know when you start collecting kit. You'd be surprised how much is left in the lost and found at the end of each club season.

Last edited by fulvio sammut; 15-01-07 at 16:44. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Will keep you informed of any developments fulv, and others, I'm sure there would be a huge quantity of stuff out there that is just cluttering peoples lives.
    My old thirteen studders might be a bit dried up but I bet there are plenty of boots in plenty of garden sheds for starters

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.