Thread: Scott Staniforth Appointed Vice Captain of Western Force

vCash

Exclamation Scott Staniforth Appointed Vice Captain of Western Force

Inaugural Emirates Western Force Player of the Year Scott Staniforth has been appointed a Vice Captain for the 2007 Investec Super 14 season.

Staniforth will share the role with Scott Fava, who was reappointed to the position for a second year.

Nathan Sharpe was reappointed as the team’s Captain.

Staniforth joined the Emirates Western Force from British club London Irish in December 2005 and went on to finish the 2006 Super 14 campaign (pre-finals) as the competition’s equal top tryscorer.

His outstanding season saw him return to the Wallabies squad after a four year hiatus, and he came off the bench in Tests against South Africa and Ireland, and had a strong performance against Scotland after starting the match at inside centre.

Emirates Western Force head coach John Mitchell said Staniforth had the respect of all his team mates, and was the type of player who always backed up his words with his actions.

“When he speaks, the boys listen,” Mitchell said. “We need more leadership in the backline, and Scotty will bring that – he has the presence of a Tana Umaga,” he said.

Staniforth said he was thrilled to be given an official leadership role within the team, and he aimed to return the vote of confidence with another strong season.

“It’s a great honour and I’ll be doing the best I can to ensure we make big progress on last year,” Staniforth said.

“We did it hard in 2006 but we learnt a lot from the experience, and we will be better for the adversity. We should significantly improve.”

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Disclaimer: Although the contents of this post are from a RugbyWA News Feed, no RugbyWA staff member or representative actually made this post - the username and avatar are used purely to identify the source of the information.

Immortal Contributor The InnFORCEr's Avatar
    vCash
    Good luck and well done to both Scotts!

80 Minutes, 15 Positions, No Protection, Wanna Ruck?

Ruck Me, Maul Me, Make Me Scrum!

Education is Important, but Rugby is Importanter!

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Makes it easier for Sharpey, maybe they need to deputise Scotty Daruda and Angus Scott as well
    Well done Stanners and keep up the good work Scotty Fava

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    I met Scotty at the Meet The Players day and thought he was a great bloke. Good onya Scotty for the VC role and I bet he has another great season, with EWF and wallabies.

vCash
    Love the photos coach - have you ever thought of getting a job doing this

61 years between Grand Slams Was the wait worth it - Ya betta baby

vCash
    thought so... go spanner!

Staniforth given vice-captain job

January 17, 2007 NEWLY-appointed vice-captain Scott Staniforth appears a certainty to start in Western Force's star-studded Super 14 backline.

The question now is where?

Staniforth was today given a vote of confidence by Force coach John Mitchell with his selection as a vice-captain, alongside Scott Fava, and under skipper Nathan Sharpe.

But with the arrival of million-dollar man Matt Giteau from the ACT Brumbies, Staniforth may find himself bumped from inside centre where he made such an impact last year.

Mitchell has the enviable task of picking a backline from the likes of Giteau, Staniforth, star league recruit Ryan Cross, Queensland signing Drew Mitchell, International Rugby Board under-21 player of the year nominee Digby Ioane and Australian Wallabies Cameron Shepherd and Lachlan MacKay, among others.

Staniforth's outstanding season saw him voted Force's player of the year and return to the Wallabies squad after a four-year hiatus.

He said today he was surprised with his vice-captaincy role, although it was a position he unofficially assumed in Force's inaugural season as one of the most experienced players in the squad.

Coach Mitchell said Staniforth was the type of player who always backed up his words with his actions.

He likened him to another hard-running centre, former New Zealand captain Tana Umaga.

"When he speaks, the boys listen," Mitchell said.

"We need more leadership in the backline, and Scotty will bring that – he has the presence of a Tana Umaga."

While Staniforth said the appointment gave him confidence he would be in the run-on side, he admitted his No.12 jersey could be lost to Giteau.

"I would like to play there but with Gits arriving it might mean that I'm on the wing," said the 29-year-old, who was the competition's equal top tryscorer last season.

"We'll just have to see how things work out, there's no guarantees."

Staniforth said Cross had settled into his new code well, and he would happily run off the solid former Sydney Rooster if he played outside centre as expected.

Coach Mitchell will tomorrow name his line-up for Friday night's Super 14 trial against the champion Crusaders at Carlton's AFL training ground Princes Park.

Giteau, lock Sharpe and winger Mitchell are Force's only Wallabies on the Australian Rugby Union's Restricted Training Activities program.

Staniforth said he was unsure if he would play due to a groin strain.

"I had my first run today after pinching my groin last week so I'll have a run tomorrow and see how it goes.

"I don't want to push it but I also don't want to give anyone a head start."

The match is actually a Crusaders' home game, in a repeat of last year's trial between the two Super 14 sides.

With the Crusaders resting seven of their New Zealand All Blacks from the first seven rounds of the Super 14, coach Robbie Deans has named rookie flanker Kieran Read as his first-half captain, with regular skipper Corey Flynn taking over for the second half.

The match kicks off at 7pm (AEDT).

Last edited by inactive; 17-01-07 at 13:59. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

(formerly known as Coach) Your Humble Servant Darren's Avatar
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Thequeerone
    Love the photos coach - have you ever thought of getting a job doing this
    I may have the expertise, but TDevil had the inspiration to actually do it! Check out his other works in the Photo Gallery...

Dear Lord, if you give us back Johnny Cash, we'll give you Justin Bieber.

Senior Player Contributor WF2006's Avatar
    vCash
    Appropriate reward for a stellar season. Showed a lot of leadership in the way he played and stepped up when the injury Gods looked unkindly on us.

Well done Stanners!

vCash
    Guess Stanners will be in the starting line-up then......

CHEERLEADERS ROCK!!!

Prospect
    vCash
    Scott Stani, Congrats on your new position of Vice Captain. Have a great season. I wish all the Western Force team the very best for this year. We will all be watching from over here. tit gelling

vCash
    How ya going mate, i was only in west wyalong a couple of months ago. hope you enjoy the site mate...

Proudly bought to you by a brewery somewhere....