Lions are just big Cats

Liam del Carme
Thursday, January 25, 2007

With a new name and a new captain, as well as a new coach, mascot, jersey and chief executive, the Lions - formerly the Cats - are hoping to consign last year's failures to history as they head into a new Super 14 season.

But changes often bring unexpected twists. When the new squad and the new jerseys were introduced on Monday, there were anxious moments for at least three players.

When the names of the players in the squad were read out alphabetically, the first names of Willem Alberts and Jannie Boshoff were switched and Louis Ludik's name was omitted.

Ludik had to sweat it out until he was called out after all the names had been read.

On the list of 30 players the names of all the black players had been printed, for some reason, in bold type. It is alleged that this was instruction from within SA Rugby.

But all these things should make no difference to the team's performances. Coach Eugene Eloff is known as someone who sees a half empty glass as a half full one.

Eloff believes one has to learn from mistakes and this will apply in particular to the team's tours. Nothing can be done about the itinerary and the team must make the best of what comes up.

"I feel exactly the same about our matches abroad as I feel about our home matches," Eloff said on Monday.

"I have done some research and looked at ways in which we can become a better team when we're on tour."

More than that, he did not want to say. "Ask me when we return," he said.

The Lions play the Western Force in Perth and the Reds in Brisbane before crossing the Tasman to face the Blues in Auckland and the Chiefs in Hamilton.

Eloff appreciates that the team's performances on tour will be influenced largely by the way they play in their first three matches of the season - at Ellis Park against the Waratahs (February 2) and then against the Highlanders and Crusaders on the following two weekends.

Lions squad: Willem Alberts, Jannie Boshoff, Ashton Constant, Jacques Cronje, Jaque Fourie, Gordon Gilfillan, Cobus Grobbelaar, Kobus Grobler, Enrico Januarie, Ernst Joubert, Doppies la Grange, Colin Lloyd, Louis Ludik, Kenny McKenzie, Brian Mujati, Andre Pretorius, Jaco Pretorius, Ethienne Reynecke, Earl Rose, Lawrence Sephaka, Bertus Smit, Louis Strydom, Solly Tyibilika, Franco van der Merwe, Heinke van der Merwe, Jaco van Schalkwyk, Anton van Zyl, Jano Vermaak, Willie Wepener, Ashwin Willemse.

News24.com