Thread: Richie Warns (Ab 22): We Need To Harden Up

vCash

Post Richie Warns (Ab 22): We Need To Harden Up

Richie Warns: We Need To Harden Up
    27/02/2007 03:43 PM
    Marc Hinton
    All Blacks captain Richie McCaw admits he and his fellow conditioning internationals are concerned about their readiness for an immediate introduction to the Super 14 near the end of March.

McCaw told Xtra Rugby that some thought had to be given to the transition period for the 21 New Zealand internationals when they became available again for the Super 14 from around March 23-24. He believes it's going to be a major test for the five franchises finding the right formula to blend their returning test stars back in.

The All Blacks skipper spoke glowingly about the benefits of the conditioning programme Graham Henry has his 22 chosen players on, but he acknowledged the one downside of their delayed introduction to the Super 14 season had to be the looming reality that they would be coming up against match-hardened players.

McCaw says some consideration is even being given to allowing the conditioning squad members to play some club warmup games if they are available to help them attain some match "hardness".

But he said there had been no final decision made yet on whether this would be allowed.

"It'll take a while, and it's going to be a shock definitely," said McCaw of the much-anticipated return to action.

"I know a few guys have talked about it with the coaches how we get ourselves ready to play. A few of the guys are talking about playing a game of club rugby or something like that.

"If that doesn't happen we'll have to progress it so we're bashing into each other before we play, because the guys we're playing against would have been hardened for about six or seven weeks.

"It's match hardness versus being fresh, and we've got to try and get a bit of both.

Whatever, the Crusaders No 7 is sure it's going to be a tough period for all concerned as the test players ease back into teams that have been together for two months. And, in many cases, playing highly successful rugby even without their internationals.

"The NPC has always been tough with that," said McCaw. "The best thing we did, especially with the Crusaders, is we've been kept in the loop at the start of planning. We knew how the season was going to go, how they were going to play the game and stuff.

Getting The Balance Right

"But they've been away three weeks now and things change even from when we were up with the play....

"It's going to be up to us. It's easy to get back and the other guys go 'here you go' and just hand over the reins. And it's hard when you come back thinking 'oh they've all been here, I'll just fit in'.

"You've got to get that right. The guys coming in have got to say 'I'm here now, I've got to play like I always would' and the other guys who have been there have got to put up their hands and say 'this is the way we've been doing it, it's been working well, let's do it'.

"It's going to be a challenge, but that's just the way it is and we've got to do it right."

McCaw's words could prove prophetic, with the Super 14 coaches sure to guard against too sudden a reintroduction. Particularly the ones whose teams are travelling well anyway.

Hurricanes coach Colin Cooper has already stated he won't rush anyone back in and may look to ease them via the bench. Certainly his side's strong start to the season has helped on that rationale.

Likewise the Blues look to be travelling well enough without their missing stars, while the Crusaders got things on track at the weekend with a big win at the Cheetahs. The more points these three teams, in particular, can bank before their stars return, the easier that process is going to be.

As far as the conditioning programme went in general, the All Blacks skipper is an unabashed fan. McCaw can feel the benefits already and he's sure there will be long-term gains for the short-term sacrifices of some Super 14 disruption.

"I know all the guys are feeling in pretty good shape really, and the guys who were perhaps a wee bit sceptical about missing some rugby at the start can see the benefits now," said McCaw.

"The thing you can't underestimate is the mental freshness of the guys. I'm sure there's guys perhaps watching the games who wish they were out playing, but having weekends free after a hard week of training is something a wee bit unique.

"And to be able to relax and do a few things that you want to do is something great. I know personally you get the enthusiasm back to play again because you've had this time.

"Each weekend you're getting a little bit closer to wanting to really play. I know in a couple of weeks' time I'll be 'bugger this, I want to be out there playing'. That's something rugby should be like, rather than 'here we go again'.

"That's something you can't underestimate. The guys will be in physical shape but also absolutely raring to go, and hopefully it will make us better rugby players."

That's certainly the plan.

Find this item at:
    http://xtramsn.co.nz/rugby/0,,12416-7004328,00.html

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Veteran Bookie
    Contributor
    vCash
    Kiwi spin!

the punters friend..... stick with me and you will be wearing

vCash
    Its a recipe for injuries. The All Blacks will be a train wreck by September. Stock up on the polish boys, Bill's coming home.

To the extreme !