Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: England Choke at Croke

(formerly known as Coach) Your Humble Servant Darren's Avatar
    vCash

Talking England Choke at Croke

DUBLIN, Feb 24 (Reuters) - Ireland rose to the occasion for their first ever meeting with England at Croke Park on Saturday as they thrashed the world champions 43-13 and toppled a 60-year-old record for their biggest win over them in the process. Ireland dealt admirably with all the emotional baggage surrounding the match and, after a tight opening quarter, cut loose to record their fourth successive victory over the English.

The score topped their previous best 28-24 from 2004 and bettered the margin set in 1947 by a 22-0 victory.

Their four tries to the one of England were fair reward for their dominance. Flyhalf Ronan O'Gara made yet another sizeable contribution with a perfect goalkicking display with 21 points from five penalties and three conversions.
    It was the ideal way to bounce back from the painful last-gasp defeat by France at the same stadium two weeks ago while for England it was a first, and worrying, defeat of the tournament.

"I think we were quite clinical and ruthless...coming up to halftime, when they had one man in the sin-bin, we punished them with two tries," said Ireland coach Eddie O'Sullivan, who added that the performance must rate "right up there" with Ireland's best. For his opposite number Brian Ashton the result produced an unenviable double. The man who coached England to their worst defeat against Ireland on Saturday was also in charge of Ireland when they suffered their worst defeat by England, 10 years ago.

"I don't feel embarrassed, I don't feel humiliated at all, no, I feel as though there's a hell of a lot of work to do," said Ashton, who said he had no idea why his side had been so physically overpowered on the day.
    Despite some protests over the last week at the prospect of 'God Save the Queen' being played at a stadium where 14 people died after a raid by British-led troops in November 1920, the predominantly Irish crowd greeted it with applause.

Most of the 82,000 crowd then gave full voice to the two Irish anthems to create a spine-tingling atmosphere.

England did their best to deaden it when Jonny Wilkinson slotted an early penalty but it was to prove a rare high point for Brian Ashton's side.
    With inspirational captain Brian O'Driscoll and scrumhalf Peter Stringer back after missing the France game through injury, Ireland kept calm and slowly took control.

Three penalties for O'Gara put them on top before the game was effectively settled in the last 10 minutes of the first half.

With England's bad-boy lock Danny Grewcock in the sin-bin Ireland bossed the lineout to score two tries, through Girvan Dempsey, after a piece of magic by O'Driscoll and David Wallace to earn a 23-3 halftime lead.

England threatened a comeback after the break with a try by debutant wing David Strettle and a Wilkinson penalty but Ireland responded by upping the pace further and England had no answers.

O'Gara used a kick across the English line to set up Shane Horgan up nicely for a third try in the 65th minute.

It was one-way traffic from then on and replacement scrumhalf Isaac Boss finished things off with an intercept try, converted by fellow sub Paddy Wallace.

http://sport.guardian.co.uk/breaking...438273,00.html

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Dear Lord, if you give us back Johnny Cash, we'll give you Justin Bieber.

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Even after the darkest days you can welcome a bright new morning

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    Ireland for ever standing tall

vCash
    ireland are doing great and i think are a great chance at the world cup.

hahahahahahhahahahahahahahahahaahhahahahahahahahah ahahahaahhahahaWOW JONNY WILKINSON HAS COME BACK TO SAVE ENGLNAD haha i think the other 5/8 played better lol. england are screwd now.

Veteran Contributor The EnForcer's Avatar
    vCash
    After a rotten weekend of rugby for me I'm chuffed to bits for the Irish.....we went down to Italy by losing 3 trys in the first few minutes and never really recovered from the suicidal start. Boohoohoo

Just happy to be here

vCash
    judging by the replies to coaches match report, can we add a new section to the profiles of wallabies supporters to "still bitter"
    get over it boys

vCash
    Thanks for that Enforcer I couldn't understand the Scottish result - Travelling Gerry seems to have made some Vcash from you as well !

What a result for the Irish - and better still England can be beaten even when Johnny is playing -

Still hoping for a Wallaby Irish encounter in the World Cup Finals

61 years between Grand Slams Was the wait worth it - Ya betta baby

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    I can't speak for others, but for me it's got nothing to do with 2003 cedric, they deserved to win the WC.
    I just don't like the way they play and the more they lose the better, that's all.
    Oh, and the fact they are sickly white and smelly....get over it yourself dude

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

Champion
    vCash
    its a known fact that aussie hav a sporting rival against england. and its nice wen they lsoe get over urself.!

vCash
    It was a fantastic game. I was lucky enough to watch it live at an Irish pub and it was an awesome atmosphere. At 9-3 it was anyones but Ireland just kept the pressure on and played some of the best wet weather rugby I've seen in a while.

I've still got a headache but it was worth it.

vCash
    For me it's not so much seeing England lose, but Ireland winning - esp such an historical match as this. I'm looking foward to actually watching it!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by cedric rainwater
    judging by the replies to coaches match report, can we add a new section to the profiles of wallabies supporters to "still bitter"
    get over it boys

I like to see Ireland win, I like to see England lose. Sounds like you need to deal with it mate.

vCash
    Tony Blair, Margaret Thatcher, Winston Churchill, Princess Di, Luke the Pom, your boys took one helluva beating

Fore sale: One badly worn chariot, needs some attention, wheel fallen off. If interested call Brain Ashton on 0800 4313 4313 or email brian@wearecrap.worldchumps.eng

Last edited by Flat-top; 25-02-07 at 18:47. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

vCash
    Reports are emerging that Gerry Adams is to lay a wreath at Croke Park in memory of the 15 Englishmen massacred there on Saturday 24th February 2007.

Legend Contributor
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by cedric rainwater
    get over it boys
    your international team would be ?

Chuck Norris has the greatest Poker-Face of all time. He won the 1983 World Series of Poker, despite holding only a Joker, a Get out of Jail Free Monopoly card, a 2 of clubs, 7 of spades and a green #4 card from the game Uno.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast