Thread: Lote still waiting for rugby offer

vCash

Lote still waiting for rugby offer

Wallabies and Waratahs winger Lote Tuqiri says he is still waiting for the Australian Rugby Union (ARU) to make him a formal offer to stay in the 15-man game.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    If push comes to shove, offer him some money to bugger off to league.

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Maybe there is to be NO offer..

vCash
    I like that idea - except he'ill stick around in Union

61 years between Grand Slams Was the wait worth it - Ya betta baby

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    ARU lies in wait for Souths bid

By Wayne Smith and Stuart Honeysett
    March 06, 2007

THE Australian Rugby Union is waiting for South Sydney co-owner Peter Holmes a Court to show his hand before tabling its final offer for New South Wales wing Lote Tuqiri.

Tuqiri has been at the centre of a tug-o-war between the two codes since last year, with Super 14 teams New South Wales and Queensland and NRL clubs South Sydney and thea Sharks still vying for his signature for next season.

The dual international knocked back a $2.4 million offer to stay put before Christmas, and the ARU is in the process of preparing its final offer in a desperate bid to retain Tuqiri after this year's Rugby World Cup.

However, given that Holmes a Court has been busy for the past two weeks wooing Tuqiri, the ARU is understood to have delayed making its final bid in order to give itself the best chance to keep the back.

The Rabbitohs and the Sharks are hoping to compete against the ARU's final offer by finding sponsors to pump up Tuqiri's NRL contract, a deal which otherwise would be limited under the league's $4 million salary cap.

Holmes a Court has already said he won't be bullied into making an early pitch for Tuqiri after reports the ARU would fast-track the process by imposing a three-day deadline once it makes its final offer.

Tuqiri, who was hoping to have all offers on the table by the end of last month, said yesterday that there had been very little progress made on sorting out his future.

"I've got no firm offer (from the ARU) as yet," Tuqiri said.

"I'm just waiting on them. I've been waiting on them for a while.

"I've got an offer from NSW. We'll just see where we go from there. I'm playing on the weekend and I want to win."

As for whether he had received something official from Souths, he replied, "You'll have to ask Peter Holmes a Court that, mate.

"I don't know. They've been quite positive in what they are trying to do. We'll just see what pans out this week with offers."

Tuqiri has given little away as to his likely destination, but he admitted he has enjoyed his time at the Waratahs.

That sentiment came after his angry outburst during Friday night's draw with Western Force, where he pushed teammate Sam Norton-Knight for ignoring a penalty goal opportunity that could have broken a 16-16 deadlock in the dying seconds of the match.

"(The Waratahs) have been really good to me," Tuqiri said.

"I've played all my rugby down here. I've had a bit of success. We haven't won a Super 14, but that's what we are trying to do."

Tuqiri said he had no opinion on the reported three-day deadline "because it hasn't happened yet" and the ARU denied it would hold a gun to his head to force the Wallabies wing to make a quick decision on its offer this week.

ARU rugby manager Pat Wilson said yesterday that weekend press reports suggesting Tuqiri would be given three days to take or leave its offer were incorrect.

"I don't know where that came from," Wilson said.

"All concerned have expressed the desire to deal with this as expeditiously as we can.

"But out of respect for Lote, we'll do it in a way that doesn't force him into a corner."

Wilson spoke yesterday to Tuqiri's business manager, but no formal offer was lodged.

Wilson claimrf he was waiting for the final elements of the bids from NSW and Queensland to arrive.

"We're not dragging the chain," Wilson said.

"The offer will be made this week and we haven't determined how long it will be open for.

"But there are no sticking points from our end."

It is understood Tuqiri will be offered around $700,000 a season for three years to remain in union.

Every dollar the ARU gives to Tuqiri, however, is a dollar less it will have to top up the standard Super 14 contracts of other leading Australian players.

Of the $25 million it is believed to allocate to player payments, the overwhelming majority - just under $20 million - is divided directly between the four Super 14 clubs.

That leaves a limited pool for player contract top-ups, although the retirements at the end of this season of veterans George Gregan and Stephen Larkham will free up a considerable amount of money.

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

(formerly known as Coach) Your Humble Servant Darren's Avatar
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by NewsBot 2.0

Wallabies and Waratahs winger Lote Tuqiri says he is still waiting for the Australian Rugby Union (ARU) to make him a formal offer to stay in the 15-man game.
    /me puts on his best Nelson voice

HAHA!

Dear Lord, if you give us back Johnny Cash, we'll give you Justin Bieber.

vCash
    You can't push the ARU to make them work any faster on the contract. He just needs to be patient.

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    I don't have any problem with Lote playing Union, he is undoubtedly better than many Australian Wingers going around, I just have a problem with the dollars and automatic selections involved in keeping him.
    As that is unlikely to change, that is why I'd prefer him to go and some of the dollars used for development around the nation.
    I think the stand off with the Rabbitohs will be pivotal and is almost like a game of poker!

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    send him back where he came from, wont be missed

vCash
    I agree with you prop53, i don't think he can contribute anything more to the code now that his true colours have been exposed...The money would be better spent elsewhere as Burgs alluded to...

Proudly bought to you by a brewery somewhere....