Thread: Challenge Cup Round 2

Legend Contributor fulvio sammut's Avatar
    vCash

Challenge Cup Round 2

On a beautiful early Autumn afternoon such as it was yesterday, it was a pity that more people didn't go to Perry Lakes to be entertained by some very exciting rugby. I will leave it to Rick Boyd to provide the match reports, I know he was there taking detailed notes.

In the first match, Central beat East by I think several trys to one, although East scored first and always looked capable of lifting a gear, but unfortunately didn't sustain the intensity they were capable of over any extended periods. Will Brock was best player for Central although they had many other excellent contributors including Kiti Fulani. For East I thought the no. 11 and no. 13 were outstanding.

In the second match, North versus South, North held the ascendancy in the first half and the score was 24 to nil in their favour at half time. North's defence was rock solid and their scrum was a match for the heavier Souths pack.The nippy North backs combined extremely well and seized every opportunity.

The second half was a different affair. After a half time animated harranging by coach Geoff Stooke (fresh from taking Eddie Jones apart in the press),
    Souths came out all guns blazing and transformed a 24-0 drubbing into a 29-24 victory.
    South halfback Bev Tuquiri led the revival with penetrating runs from the base of the scrum and was well supported by James Stannard (yellow carded in the first half for a professioal foul) Nems Momo and Ratu who scored two trys himself. Jerry Viriki tackled the North halfback out of the game and gave Souths an unpenetrable defensive line.

The North pack began to weaken and be pushed around by South.

All in all, two enjoyable games which proved to me that the standard at club level will be even higher than last year and that the Gold team will be a very handy outfit indeed when selected.

There were a lot of other excellent players out there, especially wearing Wanneroo, Nedlands, Rockingham and Associates sox, sorry I don't know them by name.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Champion
    vCash
    go souths!!! frank how many pally players are in south?

Legend Contributor fulvio sammut's Avatar
    vCash
    About 10, I think, but not all in the same team, and not all on the field at the same time.