Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Sailor admits drugs aren't cool

Immortal Contributor
    vCash

Sailor admits drugs aren't cool

Full marks for Del for coming out in the media at what must be a terribly tough time, on the anniversary of his demise and with his team going fairly ordinary.
    He may be a lot of things but he has always seemed a very loyal person and the impact on the Tahs and especially his family seem to have impacted him the most.
    Good on you Del, hopefully your public "shame" may stop others from taking drugs

Sailor admits drugs aren't cool

By Jon Geddes, Daily Telegraph
    April 03, 2007

Wendell Sailor is approaching the anniversary he never wanted to celebrate; this time last year when he got busted for drugs and kicked out of rugby for two years.

"It brings a few memories back, so it will be a pretty emotional week for me," Sailor said yesterday in an exclusive interview with The Daily Telegraph.

"There is nothing cool about it. They are not recreational drugs, they are killer drugs, and you are playing Russian roulette if you take them."

Sailor returned his positive drug test after playing for New South Wales against the Brumbies on April 16 last year, sending his high-profile career into freefall.

"I'll be honest, I got caught up in the lifestyle and I paid a big price," he said.

"I'm not talking money wise. I am talking about my reputation, which has certainly been tainted."

But the flamboyant wing has never been one to hide from the consequences of his actions.

Yesterday, he spoke openly about the devastating experience in the hope it serves as a salutary lesson to young players.

"When I moved from Sarina to join the Brisbane Broncos as an 18 year old, I hadn't had a drink or done anything really," Sailor said.

"I turned 21 and I had my first drink with the Broncos. There is a peer group pressure thing.

"Then in the last few years I got to the stage where I thought it was OK to socially take drugs, and that is not the case. It was stupidity."

At the same time, Sailor was also dealing with underlying personal issues which he has always kept private.

"It wasn't drugs or drinking, but I remember I got to the stage where I thought those two were OK to numb the pain a bit," he said.

"I think in the last year, it has helped me to face that and now I think I am a better person for it.

"It's probably a bit of karma."

Sailor emphasised he did not take drugs to enhance his his performance on the field.

"I'm not a drug cheat but at the same time if you play with drugs you are going to get burned," he said.

"At the end of the day, athletes are accountable for what we put in our bodies and the whole time I never used excuses to say what I took."

Having to tell his mother about his positive test was the darkest time in Sailor's life.

"She was pretty shattered. You don't want to have to put your mum through that," he said.

"It was gut-wrenching and I'm not a person who likes to put family or friends in a bad place.

"My father didn't hit me much, but if he was around he would have given a clip over the ear.

"For about a month there last year I thought I was the worst person in the world, especially as I am usually so up and at 'em."

Eventually it was while working with the charity Youth In Search, where many children are abused, addicted to speed or attempt suicide, that Sailor got his act together.

"I thought there was no point feeling sorry for yourself, so I snapped out if it and said, 'OK, let's get out, face this and try to make it positive'," he said.

As he battled through the toughest period of his life, Sailor also learned who his real friends are.

He said coaches Wayne Bennett at the Broncos and Eddie Jones during his time with thhe Australian Rugby Union and Tony Dempsey from the Rugby Union Players Association had stood by him.

"Sometimes all you need is people to believe in you," he said.

There is no doubt the Waratahs miss Sailor's presence on and off the field this season and he still feels he let down coach Ewen McKenzie and the players.

"It's very frustrating, I'd love nothing more than to be playing right now and helping those guys out," he said.

Sailor believes there should be a consistent policy among the sports in relation to drug sanctions, citing the example of North Queensland forward Mitchell Sargent, who had his contract ripped up when he returned a positive test.

He also advocates a two-strike policy with a life ban for a second offence.

"Everyone needs one chance. Three strikes and I think and you are letting the problem go," he said.

Despite his lay-off, Sailor said he was fit enough to play tomorrow.

"I want to come back and finish on the right note," he said.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    "Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

Rookie
    vCash
    I'm still a fan of the big bloke as are a few I know. I don't expect many to agree with me but I will support him if he comes back to Super 14 (and can get a run).

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    If only as proof of him sorting himself out I agree with you Bacon.
    Reckon Link would take him back in a blink right now!
    I'm not a huge fan of him in Union but I do respect him as a sportsman and a duel International.
    He certainly can take some credit for the rise in our sports popularity by the way he played too.

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

Rookie
    vCash
    Same as Lote (and he's recieved his unfair share of crap), Dell used to break the line at a well high percentage and draw defenders. I really believe he'd have a bunch more fans if he defended well.

You could never fault his enthusiasm but.

vCash
    hes a great player but he is very immature. surely you would be over taking drugs by his age. i hope he comes back though after his ban.

vCash
    Drugs are bad... mmm kay?

Legend Contributor
    vCash
    apparantly they are Jess

But if Walker can make a walk in start then maybe there's hope for the big Dell too....

Chuck Norris has the greatest Poker-Face of all time. He won the 1983 World Series of Poker, despite holding only a Joker, a Get out of Jail Free Monopoly card, a 2 of clubs, 7 of spades and a green #4 card from the game Uno.

vCash
    DRUG CHEATS SHOULD BE BANNED FOR LIFE

end of sermon

Veteran Bookie
    Contributor
    vCash
    But if Walker can make a walk in start then maybe there's hope for the big Dell too.... [/QUOTE]

Dell you are not the sharpest tool in the box, but it sounds like you are moving in the right direction. Good on you. Can you give Ben Cousins a call please.

the punters friend..... stick with me and you will be wearing

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Burgs
    [I]
    "My father didn't hit me much

Well there's your problem!!!

No but honestly, it would be great if he did come back! He'd have a lot of making up to do me thinks...

I want to be unique - just like everybody else!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by The Lone Hydrangea

Dell .......... it sounds like you are moving in the right direction. Good on you. Can you give Ben Cousins a call please.

And there's the rub. Wendell Sailor and Andrew Walker have paid an extremely high price for their stupidity. AFAIK they were both treated under the terms of their contracts with reference to the 2 year bans. Also - and I'm not sure here - the ARU does not have a policy which sets out penalties for "recreational drugs", the NRL now has 2 strikes and the AFL 3 strikes.

The furore in the AFL ATM makes their policy seem ludicrous. One chance should be the only tolerance.

But in effect it seems we've seen the ARU upholding a ban on Walker imposed under an NRL contract. While the NRL does the same for Sailor under an ARU contract. Neither of which body had a set rec drugs policy at the time ?

Like I said an extremely high price compared to what's out there now. I know they both had baggage before the drug tests. But that should remain for whichever organisation is looking at contracting them.

Last edited by shasta; 04-04-07 at 03:53.

Legend Contributor
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by prop53
    DRUG CHEATS SHOULD BE BANNED FOR LIFE

end of sermon
    no - too extreme .. if you use that approach why stop at Drug Cheats .. you should then use "Banned for Life" for other offences!!

Ball Tampering
    Illegal Betting...

Chuck Norris has the greatest Poker-Face of all time. He won the 1983 World Series of Poker, despite holding only a Joker, a Get out of Jail Free Monopoly card, a 2 of clubs, 7 of spades and a green #4 card from the game Uno.

vCash
    do the crime....serve the crime (in rugby's case...2 years) and then good luck to the boys when/if they come back!

CHEERLEADERS ROCK!!!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by JediKnight
    do the crime....serve the crime (in rugby's case...2 years)
    That's what I was wondering. Is that the set penalty for "recreational drugs" for all players or just what they decided for Sailor after all his other escapades?

Legend Contributor
    vCash
    it is what the IRB has set down as a minimum penalty for being caught with his particular case. If he had been caught with 50 kilo's of the stuff at training in his boot it would have been a bit different!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast