Thread: Entrenched Eddie moves forward

Immortal Contributor
    vCash

Entrenched Eddie moves forward

Entrenched Eddie moves forward

c/o Rugby Heaven,
    Tuesday, April 3, 2007

Reds coach Eddie Jones has wasted little time in ramping up his retention of the exciting forward pack he hopes will reward his decision to stay at Ballymore.

Jones is working overtime to keep a full pack of Wallabies which come off contract with Queensland this season after yesterday giving them the stability they were craving.

The last-placed side are poised to re-sign veteran back-rowers John Roe and David Croft the heartbeat of the otherwise young team in the coming days, and may also snaffle Western Force winger Digby Ioane on Tuesday.

Its rising stars Hugh McMeniman, Greg Holmes, Stephen Moore, James Horwill and Mitch Chapman who are the lifeblood of a province which last enjoyed a semi-finals finish in 2001, are the men the QRU wants most.

Jones allayed fears the embattled Reds would have to search for a sixth coach in eight years by heeding a compromise solution from the QRUon Monday.

Reportedly set to resign or be sacked last week, the former Wallabies coach has given an undertaking to see out the 2007 and 2008 Super 14s.

QRU boss Ken Freer was immensely relieved with the decision and happily allowed him the freedom of next year deciding whether to stay on for the final year of his three-season deal in 2009.

"I came here with a goal and a very major responsibility and hopefully when I leave I would have fulfilled some of those objectives," said Jones, who staunchly believes the Reds can go from bottom to top in quick time.

"There was never any intention to leave Queensland in the lurch.

"I'm really looking forward to continuing what I started.

Jones, who has a teenage daughter in high school, cited family reasons as key to his deliberations after also receiving interest from Japan and English club Saracens.

Croft spelt out the importance of Jones' commitment, saying players had been hanging out for the decision which will make re-signing smoother.

"It's so important to us, the tireless flanker said. I've been with him since 2002 (for the Wallabies) and he's the best coach I've had.

"Just his knowledge and ability to take this young side on is vital for the years to come - even if he's here for only another year - that will be the base for years ahead.

Jones predicted a solution to McMeniman's problem after the lock allowed a contract deadline to pass but put heat on the ARU to deliver a better contracting system.

"Everything's just getting pushed earlier and earlier, we'll be finishing contracting for the next year soon even before the season's started the way were going," he said.

The Reds fear McMeniman, 23, eying big-money offers overseas, may leave for a season or two after this year's World Cup with the view he can return to Australia well in time to play more Test rugby before the 2011 World Cup.

McMeniman will make his return from ankle injury on Saturday against the Sharks who coach Dick Muir says face a stern test of character after consecutive losses to the Brumbies and Force.

Jones joked he could make his first selection since round four with Clinton Schifcofske (hand) and Andrew Brown (ribs) also set to return from injury and off-contract hooker Sean Hardman and playmaker Berrick Barnes also outside chances to return.

AAP

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    "Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    Great to see Eddie staying Australia - it can only be for the good of Australian Rugby having this bloke around.
    We'll see a different Reds in 2008.

Brother Gallagher I hear you

vCash
    I reckon we might see a better Reds this week. Sure hope so.

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Would feel a bit more comfortable to be hearing signings coming out of Brisbane in their Bye week.
    It may be a couple of years but I don't believe that the Reds will be down for ever.
    The effects of the new team will dilute over the next few years and there are some great new players being exposed for them this season that would otherwise been overlooked.
    A big ask for them this week but it is just the sort of upset result that has been occuring in Super 14 lately, it would sure do us a favour!

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    I reckon a cheeky bet on the reds may prove to be a good gamble this weekend, they are due for a win...

Proudly bought to you by a brewery somewhere....

vCash
    agree they are due for a win but against the sharks ! I know the lads softened them up a bit but .... perhaps next week against the Tahs or the week after at home to the Cheetahs

61 years between Grand Slams Was the wait worth it - Ya betta baby

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Thequeerone
    agree they are due for a win but against the sharks ! I know the lads softened them up a bit but .... perhaps next week against the Tahs or the week after at home to the Cheetahs
    Just like the Brumbies softened them up for the force

Legend Contributor
    vCash
    Actually, perhaps, but unfortunately they have had two weeks to dwell on it now. I think the Brumbies win was a bit of a facer for them and the best they could manage was "it gets a monkey off our back" ('cos constant winning is such a burden). They're a bit more analytical this week though, identifying too much play behind the line of forwards as the weakness in their play. Knowing about it and fixing it are two different things though and their focus on correcting that fault may also expose others.

Just an opinion, but this week I'd expect they'll initially keep a couple of players back to provide tackle support expecting the Reds to play narrow - might be interesting if the Reds spin it wide quickly early on. If they then have to bring the defenders back up, they'll look to run straight back at the line rather than pass so getting a couple of quicks up fast to pressure the fall of the ball and/or isolate the player would have them looking at plan C, which will be Percy (if fit) kicking. It's a one on one territorial battle then and the Reds play that game better than most.

vCash
    ^^ Some excellent points there.