My first reaction was "Are you joking me Eddie?!", however it is possibly the only decent role left for Morgan in Australian Rugby!
Two or three years at the Reds helping to set them up, probably as the #13 outside of a Cooper/Barnes combination, would be a good wicket for a borderline to past Wallaby.
Then head to superannuation league to see his career out.

Jones targets Turinui for Reds

Rupert Guinness
Wednesday, April 4, 2007

With his future at Queensland settled, Reds coach Eddie Jones has quickly shown he intends to direct his energy to rebuilding the Super 14 stragglers into a force - but this time it's the Waratahs who are in his sights.

Jones yesterday told the Herald he was keen to recruit long-serving NSW centre Morgan Turinui, who has yet to re-sign with the Waratahs.

When told of Jones's interest, Turinui, who has 20 Test caps and 56 for the Waratahs, said he would be happy to discuss it.

The timing of such expressed interest by Jones could be viewed as the first of what should be many barbs fired between the arch-rival Waratahs and Reds in the lead-up to their round-11 encounter in Sydney next week.

But Jones, committed to the Reds until the end of next season, said his expression of interest was genuine and aimed at resurrecting Queensland rugby.

advertisement - story continues below

"We're looking at a number of players and assessing what they can add to the squad," Jones said. "Morgan is obviously a good player for NSW. If he is interested we would like to have a chat."

Jones said he believed Turinui's attributes were not only his ball-running skills and game vision, but also his leadership and mentoring qualities.

The Reds, like the Waratahs - who will take on the Brumbies in Canberra on Sunday night - are a young team with players such as 18-year-old rookie Quade Cooper.

And Jones, who picked Turinui as a Wallaby vice-captain in 2005 when he played all 13 Tests, has seen how he has helped NSW teenager Kurtley Beale.

"He has good communication skills on the field, which is a huge advantage, and leadership skills which would come in handy," Jones said.

Turinui last night said he was a "way off" from settling his future, and stressed he was enjoying playing for the Waratahs. But he said he'd be open to discuss a possible offer with Jones.

"Eddie was the first guy who picked me in the Wallabies [in 2003 against Ireland]. He showed faith in me early," Turinui said. "It is flattering to know that he would be interested. It would take a lot for me to leave the Waratahs, which I am not that keen to do.

"But you have to take a look at all your options. So I would definitely talk."

Other Waratahs yet to re-sign include David Lyons, Benn Robinson, Al Baxter and Sam Norton-Knight.

One Waratah set to leave is halfback Josh Holmes, 20, who will today be named in the NSW 22 to play the Brumbies.

Holmes, in for the injured Brett Sheehan (ribs), is set to join the Brumbies next year, but would not elaborate on his likely switch.

"The deal hasn't been done yet. I'm just looking to this weekend … getting some game time," he said. "That's next year. I have been a Waratah this year, and I am going to put everything into this week to get prepared for this weekend."

But Holmes did admit it had been hard to constantly miss out on Waratahs selection to Sheehan and Josh Valentine. "It's frustrating when you train hard all year. But I'm behind two Wallabies," he said.

Waratahs coach Ewen McKenzie is resigned to losing Holmes, even though he would prefer to keep him. "What people don't understand is that 50 per cent of the playing base of rugby in Australia is in NSW," he said.

"We only have 25 per cent of the contracts. Logic will tell you that 75 per cent of the contracts are outside NSW. So people are going to inevitably leave."

McKenzie will today name his team for Sunday after getting an injury update on Lyons (thigh), Wycliff Palu (hamstring) and Dean Mumm (shoulder).