Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: RugbyWA Release Digby Ioane On Compassionate Grounds

Immortal Contributor
    vCash

RugbyWA Release Digby Ioane On Compassionate Grounds

RugbyWA Release Digby Ioane On Compassionate Grounds

Monday, 30 April 2007 5:40pm
    RugbyWA

RugbyWA has agreed to release winger Digby Ioane from his recent re-commitment to Emirates Western Force on compassionate grounds.

Three weeks ago, Ioane agreed to stay with the Force for a further two years.

However, late last week RugbyWA was advised by his management company that Ioane had signed with the Reds.

Despite having strong legal advice that Ioane could be made to fulfill his contract with the Force, RugbyWA Chief Executive Peter O’Meara said the 21 year old would be released from his obligations on compassionate grounds.

“Digby clearly struggles with homesickness and for compassionate reasons we have released him from his obligations and he will return to Queensland next year,” O’Meara said.

“It’s disappointing to lose a player like Digby, particularly after the huge amount of time and effort put into his development by our coaching staff,” he said.

“While we have strong legal advice saying Digby is obliged to satisfy his two year contract with us, he is an exceptional case and we believe for compassionate reasons it might be best for him to return to Queensland to be close to his family.”

O’Meara also expressed disappointment at the way Ioane’s management company had handled the matter.

Ioane apologised for changing his mind but said he had struggled being away from his family over the past two years.

“I’d like to thank everyone at the Emirates Western Force like Mitch (John Mitchell) and the coaching staff. They’ve done a great job developing my skills,” he said.

“And especially the supporters - you gotta love them because they’ve been awesome to me and I am very grateful.”

“But I am really looking forward to going home for family reasons.”

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by Burgs; 30-04-07 at 16:35.
    "Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    bye bye small fry, May you drop many balls for the reds in the future!!

Senior Player Contributor WF2006's Avatar
    vCash
    Bit of a shame, he was looking like he was coming good in relation to his butter fingered issues over the past couple of months. Fair call though ( I don't think I was particularly ready to move to the other side of the coutry for work when I was 19/21!!)

Correct me if I'm wrong (and I probably am!) but isn't his family in Melbourne??

Leaves us a little exposed in the back 3, though gives Sare a chance to stand-up and Hilgendorf covers 15 and Cross can cover the wing (I guess?)

Good luck to him, but I hope he matures a bit if he wants to become a Wallaby. I don't think they let you take your family with you when you tour the world for months at a time!

vCash
    I'm gonna miss him hopefully one day he will return...good luck Digby, I mean it; but mate don't play too well when you play the Force ok?

Every forwards dream is to become a back...

vCash
    Will be sad to see him go, as he was looking quite promising but can understand why he wants to go back east...............GOOD LUCK!!! (except for when you play the Force )

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Given some air time on Ten/WIN News but obviously not important enough to feature on the free to air home of Rugby in Australia in Seven/GWN News

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

Champion
    vCash
    have fun losing diggers and having a coach that doesnt allowd you to be flamboyant

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Burgs
    Given some air time on Ten/WIN News but obviously not important enough to feature on the free to air home of Rugby in Australia in Seven/GWN News

I noticed that too Burgs......maybe we need to log who says what and give vote for best rugby coverage channel..

vCash
    first you cut your hair off, then this!!! what next???!!! lol Your a great player Digby would have been good if youd stayed with the Force for a few more years but hey ... we'll get over it! Just think, a chance for some one else to shine!

"Believe in the best, think your best, study your best, have a goal for your best, never be satisfied with less than your best, try your best, and in the long run things will turn out for the best."

vCash
    good luck on your move to the Reds

vCash
    good luck at the reds Digby

Immortal Contributor The InnFORCEr's Avatar
    vCash
    Congrats on your time here at the Force it is something that you will never be able to do again with a new team so you will always remain entrenched in The Force history books.

Good luck at the Reds and with your aspirations to become a future Wallaby, now you can get rid of the blue boots, leave them with one of the Matts!

80 Minutes, 15 Positions, No Protection, Wanna Ruck?

Ruck Me, Maul Me, Make Me Scrum!

Education is Important, but Rugby is Importanter!

vCash
    Good luck, Digby. I think you've made a wrong career move though. The Force can now develop another winger who can kick, catch and pass as well as run.

vCash
    Devastated to see him go and I agree that he hasn't made the right choice in terms of his international rugby career. Would have had more chance of making the wallabies if he stayed with the force I think.

Still, I wish him all the best and will treasure the memories. You're a star digby. Hopefully Eddie treats you right.

vCash
    good luck to him, i am sure he will regret it next year when the force, chop up the reds AGAIN!!!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast