Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Lote still with some growing up to do!

Apprentice
    vCash

Lote still with some growing up to do!

The story below came from Rugby Heaven. It makes you wonder what Michael O'Connor had to say about Matt Henjak, Tai McIsaac, et al over the phone???? Perhaps those WF players who were included in the 59 might know.

Tuqiri sorry for phone prank
    Monday, May 14, 2007

Lote Tuqiri has contacted Wallabies selector Michael O'Connor to apologise for his act of stupidity at a NSW Waratahs drinking session - but this time he left his phone off loudspeaker.
    Tuqiri left O'Connor red-faced after placing his mobile on loudspeaker during a conversation between the pair last week in which O'Connor was highly critical of Waratahs teammate Peter Hewat.
    Hewat and other Waratahs players tuned in to O'Connor's less than complimentary appraisal of Hewat's game, prompting the goalkicking ace to storm out of the bar and not turn up to the team's Mad Monday session the following day.
    Not surprisingly given O'Connor's opinion of the embattled fullback, Hewat was omitted from a 59-man Wallabies train-on squad named the same day and now wants out of the final year of his Waratahs contract.
    O'Connor said he felt let down by Tuqiri but accepted his apology and didn't want any further action taken against the superstar winger.
    "It was really disappointing," he said.
    "I've had a phone call from Lote to apologise. He's very contrite about it.
    "It was just a terrible thing to happen and I felt personally very disappointed.
    "But, anyway, it's happened now and I guess you can't undo it."
    While the Waratahs declared the matter a dead issue, Wallabies legend and former NSW captain Nick Farr-Jones branded Tuqiri childish after his prank backfired and brought yet more unwanted publicity on the franchise after the most forgettable of Super 14 seasons.
    "It's obviously very immature and a dopey thing done under the influence of grog I suspect," he said.
    But Farr-Jones stopped short of proposing disciplinary action for Australian rugby's highest-paid player.
    Asked if he thought Tuqiri should be fined for his tomfoolery, Farr-Jones said: "I don't understand the rules and what-have-you but it's a stupid thing to be done and I hope he regrets it".
    Hewat, who has continually been overlooked by Wallabies selectors over the past three seasons despite his record-breaking pointscoring deeds for NSW, met with Waratahs coach Ewen McKenzie three days after the pub incident seeking a release from his 2008 playing contract.
    Hewat is still awaiting an answer from the Waratahs and said he was determined to leave Sydney to take up a big-money deal overseas, most likely with a London club.
    The 29-year-old superboot said he had given up on his dream of playing for the Wallabies and that even selection next week in the Australia A squad would not stop him from heading offshore.
    "I think the cards have been dealt. I'm obviously not in the top 60 players in Australia so it's hard to see them picking me for Australia A," he said.
    "The selectors have obviously got their opinion about me and they're entitled to have their opinion.
    "They've clearly made up their minds about me but even if I did get picked (for Australia A), it wouldn't change my stance at all."
    Hewat said he wanted to put the pub incident behind him.
    "Obviously it's a pretty touchy subject," he said.
    The official line from the Waratahs was that Tuqiri had no case to answer, even though it was the second time this season he had humiliated a teammate.
    In March, the dual international was condemned for shoving Sam Norton-Knight in the back after Norton-Knight had a brain snap and took a quick tap instead of allowing Hewat the chance to shoot for a last-minute match-winning penalty goal.
    NSW captain Adam Freier said the Tuqiri-O'Connor phone conversation had hardly caused a ripple at the Waratahs.
    "To be honest, it hasn't been a big issue for us," Freier said.
    "I know it sort of got spoken about, that it happened, then it just got moved on.
    "I think the issue has been dealt with. As far as I'm concerned, it's a dead issue."
    AAP

This story was found at: http://www.rugbyheaven.smh.com.au/ar...995068106.html

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Legend Contributor Flamethrower's Avatar
    vCash
    Why was Michael O'Connor,a Wallabies selector, gobbing off to Tuqiri??

Apprentice
    vCash
    One can probably imagine several scenarios, but I'm sure your question is rhetorical. I asked myself the same thing. Surely it's not appropriate for a selector to give feedback to a teammate. One wonders whether Peter Hewat was given the same feedback.

vCash
    Ed zackery

Immortal Contributor The InnFORCEr's Avatar
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jamie_S
    One can probably imagine several scenarios, but I'm sure your question is rhetorical. I asked myself the same thing. Surely it's not appropriate for a selector to give feedback to a teammate. One wonders whether Peter Hewat was given the same feedback.
    Is this how Henjak will find out why he wasn't selected as well?

80 Minutes, 15 Positions, No Protection, Wanna Ruck?

Ruck Me, Maul Me, Make Me Scrum!

Education is Important, but Rugby is Importanter!

vCash
    Why are they blaming Lote over what someone else said? Grow some balls O'Conner and tell people why they missed out to their faces.

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Probably because Lote had his phone on loud speaker and letting everyone else listen in on the call...I believe O'Connor thought he was having a private conversation..

Rookie
    vCash
    O'Connor should be gone for this! as for the stupid try hard winger why he's still playing the game astounds me , he has absolutely zero leadership qualities , NSW deserve all they get for not doing anything about him earlier , what a loss would he be to the game, there are front rowers who scored more trys than him this season...I so wished he went back to League

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by qld supporter
    as for the stupid try hard winger why he's still playing the game astounds me , he has absolutely zero leadership qualities , NSW deserve all they get for not doing anything about him earlier , what a loss would he be to the game, there are front rowers who scored more trys than him this season...I so wished he went back to League
    couldnt agree more qld. why should we be sending a moron like this over to represent aust. rugby in france? what an embarrassment. he should be forced back to league...he has all the appropriate qualities..

vCash
    It took some doing, but Lote Tuqiri has finally overtaken Rua Tipoki on my "most hated player" list.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by travelling_gerry
    Probably because Lote had his phone on loud speaker and letting everyone else listen in on the call...I believe O'Connor thought he was having a private conversation..
    Why is O'Conner talking to Tuqiri about Hewat in the first place? What a bitchy thing to do, plus word would have gotten back to Hewat anyway regardless of the call being on loudspeaker. There's plenty of other reasons not to like Lote, I don't think this is one of them.

Legend Contributor
    vCash
    The way I saw it reported was:

"Tuqiri asked Wallaby selector Michael O'Connor to give a frank opinion of the virtues of Peter Hewat, and then turned his phone onto loudspeaker while O'Connor delivered a withering appraisal.

Hewat stormed out of the bar where Tuqiri had made his ill-judged call, and asked to be released from his contract three days later, having been left out of the Wallabies' squad."

To me that sounds like O'Connor needs a big lesson in keeping his gob shut, but Tuqiri made it happen and deserves a huge kick in the bum.

Rookie
    vCash
    The real underlying problem is we have this type of fool being selected by that kind of fool....all getting large $ from the game that we've paid to play and support... feel ripped off?

vCash
    What gives Tuqiri the right to ask about another player????

Why would O'Connor tell Tiqiri anything??

They both stuffed up! O'Connor as a senior and respected(?) Rugby Offical should know better than to open his mouth about anyone else.

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    O'Connor said he felt let down by Tuqiri but accepted his apology and didn't want any further action taken against the superstar winger.
    "It was really disappointing," he said.
    "I've had a phone call from Lote to apologise. He's very contrite about it.
    "It was just a terrible thing to happen and I felt personally very disappointed.
    "But, anyway, it's happened now and I guess you can't undo it."

As a few of you have indicated, how on Earth can any Australian Selector (regardless if it was O'Connor or anyone else) take the high moral ground on this issue?!?!?!
    I am gob smacked that O'Connor does not even pretend to offer any form of regret for HIS actions.
    We all know that Lote is a bit of a moron (or should that be idiot or imbecile, one for the 1 v 100 viewers last night...) but he is paid to play Rugby, O'Connor is paid in a professional role as not only a Selector but a diplomat/mediator/counselor and what ever else is required in dealing with that many testosterone injected ego's in an extended Squad.
    He has surely blown any shred of credibility or confidence with the rest of the Squad and would certainly have created a rift between Wallaby Management and the NSWRU.
    I am sure that I would have agreed with his assessment of Hewat, but that is not the point. He is in a position of trust and should be held fully accountable for this entire debacle.
    For him to pass the blame to Tuqiri is gutless and childish.

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast