Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Australia A Team For Tonga

vCash
    Now you're talking! Wonder if Eddie Jones still has that axe he always promised to wield... Hmm

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Legend Contributor
    vCash
    No, I'd guess that got irretrievably lodged somewhere.

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Tawake is a shoe in for the Left Wing

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

Legend Contributor
    vCash
    Would certainly make for some interesting kick returns (mind you, isn't that the switch Kinikinilau made?)

Veteran Bookie
    Contributor
    vCash

the punters friend..... stick with me and you will be wearing

Legend Court Reporter
    Contributor
    vCash
    No, no, no! This is just one of Connolly's mind games. Dunning is fattening up for fly-half. In the last phase of this he will eat Steven Larkham's heart to get his courage... his rich tasty courage.

Senior Player Contributor WF2006's Avatar
    vCash
    No don't cut the coaching staff, last I heard Connolly was only taking one scrum-half to the RWC coz he was confident HE could cover the spot if it ws really needed!

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Well he could "cover" it, but I dunno if he could play it...

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Campbell's A game aim

May 25, 2007 - 6:38am
    Story by: Sportal

Australia A captain Alister Campbell has impressed the importance of the team performing well in its first foray into the Pacific Nations Cup, starting with Friday night's match against Tonga at Aussie Stadium, Sydney.

With Wallabies coach John Connolly ensuring that places in Australia's World Cup team remain open, Australia A's five-match series in the PNC holds plenty of significance.

"It is important for all of us – players and coaching staff – that we do well and perform, especially as there are some players in the frame to get themselves a ticket to the World Cup," Campbell told Sportal.

"They (the selectors) are going to reselect each (Wallabies) squad at the end of each fortnight so it is a good opportunity for those guys who are there or thereabouts to play well and put their hand up for selection in the Wallabies squad

"We could see some guys go from Australia A into some Test later in the year, so it is pretty exciting times."

There is plenty of experience on the Australia A squad with six Wallabies players along with rugby league converts Ryan Cross and Clinton Schifcofske, but the is a host of the 22-man team to play Tonga on Friday who are making their debut in international rugby.

"Troy Takiari, Dean Mumm, David Pocock, Garth Hardy, Jone Tawake have benefited from good seasons in the Super 14 while exciting young players Berrick Barnes, Lachie Turner, David Pocock and Kurtley Beale are set for their first appearance at A level.

"It is great to see some youth in the squad," said Campbell. "Hopefully, we can lay a good foundation so they can find their feet in the Australia A program.

It is great to have them about and it is up to the guys with more experience and the coaching staff to steer them in the right direction."

Campbell, who spent the bulk of the Super 14 season sidelined with an ankle injury, expected to not make the Wallabies 30-man squad for the Tests against Wales. However, he stipulated if Australia A does well in the PNC it would enhance his efforts to break back into top squad.

"I had 10 weeks off from the Super 14 which is not ideal," said Campbell. "But I managed to get back for the last round and get 20 minutes but I knew I was on the outer for Test squad which is understandable.

"I've had a couple of games of club rugby which has been very helpful for me to be able to do that and now I have the opportunity to play these five games.

"Everyone is aware we will be judged on team success and not individual performances. It is great to be captain and a big challenge and something that I believe where we have all been given an opportunity and we have got to take it."
    Mark Hughes

A-team bonus for Barnes

by: Steve Orme
    Sportal

Queensland Reds young gun Berrick Barnes sees his selection in the Australia A side for the 2007 Pacific Nations Cup as a bonus.

The 20-year-old star playmaker is one of eight first-timers in the run-on side for Friday night’s clash with Tonga at Aussie Stadium.

Barnes was a member of the 37-man Wallaby squad but was one of seven players cut when the final squad to take on Wales and Fiji was announced on Sunday.

But the pragmatic Queenslander says he did not hold high hopes for a spot in the 30-man squad and is just grateful for the chance to learn from the coaches and players involved in the A program.

“I think it’s more of a bonus really, I think with the season we’ve had (Queensland Reds), it’s lucky any of us made any representative honours,” said Barnes.

“I’m just happy to be here and anything from here is probably a bonus, so I’ve just got to learn a lot, that’s the thing.”

“I know last week I was learning a lot off Bernie (Stephen) Larkham and those sort of blokes, so just to see a whole different game plan and the likes of Matty O’Connor, the backs coach here, and (see) a few different things has been good,” Barnes said.

Barnes has seemingly moved to third in line for the coveted Wallaby fly-half spot ahead of NSW teenage sensation Kurtley Beale, who will come off the bench for the A side in the opening match.

And while he is content to develop his game with the A side, away from the Wallaby limelight, Barnes is well aware injuries could make or break a player’s aspirations for the World Cup in France this September.

“I’m looking to stay injury free … for anyone here if you can stay injury free then you’re always in the mix come the end of it.”

“Play well here (and) win games, that’s the key,” Barnes said.

Australia A move camp to Coffs Harbour on Sunday ahead of their clash with Samoa on June 2 - they then face Japan in Townsville followed by consecutive away fixtures against the Junior All Blacks and Fiji, to round out a gruelling five-week campaign.

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

Immortal Contributor
    vCash

Australia A hammers Tonga

Australia A hammers Tonga

May 25, 2007

HALFBACK Sam Cordingley made a strong return to representative rugby and young flyer Lachie Turner bagged a hat-trick of tries as Australia A thumped Tonga 60-15 in the IRB Pacific Nations Cup match at Aussie Stadium.

The home team fell behind 5-3 early on, but produced a strong second half showing and finished with eight tries to two.

Cordingley, who hadn't played a representative game for 10 months due to chronic foot problems, played with increasing confidence before being replaced in the 67th minute.

The Queensland Reds halfback looked a little rusty early on, but became progressively more assertive and was at the hub of Australia A's second half surge.

Up 13-8 at the break, the home team took control in the third quarter, piling up four tries and 26 points in 15 minutes.

Turner, who earlier this week was named Australian Super 14 Rookie of the Year scored all of his tries after the break and was denied a fourth when teammate Peter Hewat held on to the ball with his Waratahs teammate unmarked outside him close to Tonga's line.

Turner, who turned 20 two weeks ago, was joined on the try sheet by centre Ryan Cross – who notched two five-pointers – and fullback Hewat, hooker Tatafu Polota-Nau and winger Clinton Schifcofske.

Schifcofske finished with 23 points as he kicked six conversions and two penalties and together with fellow league convert Cross contributed over half of Australia A's points.

Tonga made a bright start with winger Seti Kiole crossing for a well constructed try in the seventh minute.

Tonga led 5-3, but rarely threatened to score again until centre Isileli Tupou crossed in the final five minutes.

It was Australia A's first game of the six-team round robin tournament.

AAP

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2