Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Springboks v Wallabies | Newlands, Cape Town 16-06-07

vCash

Springboks v Wallabies | Newlands, Cape Town 16-06-07

This game will be a the real indicator of what the Wallabies are capable of. I'm yet to watch the Boks v Samoans from last weekend but i'm heartened that the Samoans were not smashed by 50 or more. However the Boks team was as experimental as some of Connolleys Wallaby teams with some big names not there plus two debutantes in Waylon Murray and Luke Watson. The combinations were untested and the Boks didn't play to the same level as the first choice team ( such as played/smashed England)

The Bok team v Manu Samoa was:

15 Francois Steyn (5)14 Ashwin Willemse (13),13 Waylon Murray ( - )12 Wayne Julies (9),,11 JP Pietersen (1),10 Derick Hougaard (5),9 Ricky Januarie (17),8 Bob Skinstad (35),7 Danie Rossouw (21),6 Luke Watson ( - ),5 Albert van den Berg (43),4 Johan Ackermann (11),3 BJ Botha (7),2 John Smit (C) (65),1 Os du Randt (70),16 Gary Botha (4),17 Deon Carstens (6),18 Johann Muller (11) 19 Pedrie Wannenburg (16) 20 Ruan Pienaar (7) 21 Jaque Fourie (26) 22 Percy Montgomery (82)

Wallabies 25 man squad sent to Saffaland:

Adam Ashley-Cooper, Alistair Baxter, Mark Chisholm, Sam Cordingley, The Dunning, Rocky Elsom, Adam Freier, Mark Gerrard, Matt Giteau, George Gregan, Stephen Hoiles, Julian Huxley, Stephen Larkham, Drew Mitchell, Stephen Moore, Stirling Mortlock (c), Wycliff Palu, Benn Robinson, Nathan Sharpe, Guy Shepherdson, George Smith, Scott Staniforth, Lote Tuqiri, Dan Vickerman, Phil Waugh (c).

Out of that team ( plus some who are not there) I would pick the following:

1. Benn Robinson
    2. Adam Freier
    3. Guy Shepherdson,
    4. Nathan Sharpe (vc)
    5. Dan Vickerman
    6. Rocky Elsom
    7. George Smith
    8. Stephen Hoiles
    --------------------------
    9. George Gregan
    10. Stephen Larkham
    11. Digby Ioane( I feel the need, the need for speed!)
    12. Matt Giteau
    13. Stirling Mortlock (c)
    14. Scott Staniforth
    15. Peter Hewat ( I can dream can't I?)

16. TPN
    17. Mark Chisholm
    18. Phil Waugh
    19. The Dunning
    20. Wycliff Palu
    21. Drew Mitchell
    22. Lote Tuqiri

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Laura Force Addict v Chook scrabble-off on Facebook: laura & Force Addict 0 | chook 9

Gigsa made me do it

"He who conquers others is strong; he who conquers himself is mighty." – Lao Tzu

Legend Contributor
    vCash
    after Huxley's dissapointing game in Perth I'd be leaving him behind to get some confidence kicking!! He had a shocker!!

Chuck Norris has the greatest Poker-Face of all time. He won the 1983 World Series of Poker, despite holding only a Joker, a Get out of Jail Free Monopoly card, a 2 of clubs, 7 of spades and a green #4 card from the game Uno.

vCash
    I disagree with your selection - this is the team I want to see - and if the Backs drop more than 3 balls and lose by more than 10 points O'Neils first job will be to sack Connelly and promote Laurie Fisher - the Aus A performance is far more convincing and fun to watch

1. Benn Robinson
    2. Stephen Moore
    3. Guy Shepherdson,
    4. Nathan Sharpe (vc)
    5. Dan Vickerman
    6. Rocky Elsom
    7. Phil Waugh (c)
    8. Wycliff Palu
    9. George Gregan
    10. Stephen Larkham
    11. Lote Tuiriqi
    12. Matt Giteau
    13. Stirling Mortlock (vc)
    14. Drew Mitchell
    15. Mark Gerrard

16. Adam Freier
    17. Mark Chisholm
    18. George Smith
    19. Scott Staniforth
    20. Sam Cordingley
    21. Stephen Hoiles
    22. The Dunning

61 years between Grand Slams Was the wait worth it - Ya betta baby

Legend Contributor
    vCash
    nice selection the TQO althought I'd probably start Freier

Chuck Norris has the greatest Poker-Face of all time. He won the 1983 World Series of Poker, despite holding only a Joker, a Get out of Jail Free Monopoly card, a 2 of clubs, 7 of spades and a green #4 card from the game Uno.

vCash
    Anyone who wants to see Stephen Moore obviously has vision issues.

Nice picks though.

Laura Force Addict v Chook scrabble-off on Facebook: laura & Force Addict 0 | chook 9

Gigsa made me do it

"He who conquers others is strong; he who conquers himself is mighty." – Lao Tzu

vCash
    Purposely chose Moore as he is heavier and the Boks are renowned for their enornous pack - which seem to tire early in the match - and figured that Freier could come on as an impact player - i.e. back up for the tired backs at the 60 minute mark and very accurate line outs at the close of the game might be useful especially on the Wallaby try line

Champion
    vCash
    TQO i like your team. but ide have drew at 15 and spanner at 14. drop and bring in ashley-cooper

vCash
    Still reckon 15 is really Sheps spot when he is fit - don't think Ashley Cooper is quite ready yet and think that Gerrad as the utility back gives time for the other combinations to establish and stablise further.

Prefer Stanners at 12 to cordingly at 9 also think that Larkham going down would mean Gitts at 10 and Stanners at 12. Really need mouthy players at 9 and 10 to keep everything together

- but heh I'm not John Connelly and really don't know what he thinks except that I'd put money on Ashley Cooper starting

vCash
    Can't go past Drew on the wing, for me he is playing great rugby.

Every forwards dream is to become a back...

vCash
    from that squad i would chose:

1. Benn Robinson
    2. Adam Freier
    3. Guy Shepherdson,
    4. Nathan Sharpe
    5. Dan Vickerman
    6. Rocky Elsom
    7. George Smith (vc)
    8. Wycliff Palu
    9. George Gregan (c)
    10. Stephen Larkham
    11. Lote Tuiriqi
    12. Matt Giteau
    13. Stirling Mortlock (vc)
    14. Scott Staniforth.
    15. Drew Mitchell

16. Stephen Moore
    17. Mark Chisholm
    18. Phil Waugh
    19. Matt Dunning
    20. Stephen Hoiles
    21. Julian Huxley
    22. Mark Gerrard

Senior Player Contributor hopep's Avatar
    vCash
    glad to see no-one else rate Baxter to be in their team either

vCash
    Mark Gerrard's name appears too often for my liking. He sucks as a player. He is my arch-nemesis.

Mark Gerrard got a mention. Whoever mentioned him must self flagellate with a noodle.

Saffa wider 3Nteam. HAHAHAHAH Maccona Ndungane has to do speed conditioning! See Lote, its not just you!

Januarie could miss Tri-Nations

Monday 11 June 2007

Ricky Januarie has been sidelined for four weeks with a knee injury and is likely to miss the entire Tri-Nations for the Springboks.

Cheetahs scrumhalf Michael Claasens will replace him. The Lions No 9 will undergo intensive medical treatment in the coming weeks but team manager Zola Yeye insisted that he won’t be risked unless completely recovered.

He said the selectors had not considered drafting either Emerging Boks scrumhalfs Jano Vermaak or Heini Adams into the side

Other casualties from the Boks clash with Samoa include Luke Watson, Wayne Julies and Ashwin Willemse. Watson sustained a rib injury and will be receiving treatment with Western Province. Julies was gouged in the eye but should be fit to be considered for selection this weekend. Willemse dislocated a finger but he’ll train this afternoon.

Yeye also gave an update on other injured Boks, saying that Bryan Habana has rejoined the Bok squad but will undergo treatment and is still expected to be out for between two and five weeks.

“He’ll return when he’s in a satisfactory condition,” Yeye said. “It’s a World Cup year and obviously Bryan is a key player for us so we won’t risk him.

“That applies to all injured players. They’ll return once they’re stable and have completed the rehabilitation programmes and have met the necessary criteria after completing specific testing,” he said.

Andre Pretorius continues to receive treatment at the Lions for a hamstring injury and will miss the entire Tri-Nations, while CJ van der Linde has recovered from a broken nose and rejoins the squad.

As expected there’s no place in the squad for Watson and neither is there room for veteran Sharks utility forward AJ Venter and teammate Deon Carstens.

30-man Tri-Nations squad

Forwards: Os du Randt, Gurthro Steenkamp, CJ van der Linde, BJ Botha, John Smit ( WHERES THE 'H'??!! ), Gary Botha, Albert van den Berg, Victor Matfield, Johann Muller, Bakkies Botha, Pierre Spies, Schalk Burger, Juan Smith, Bob Skinstad, Pedrie Wannenberg, Danie Rossouw.

Backs: Ricky Januarie, Michael Claasens, Ruan Pienaar, Fourie du Preez, DerickHougaard, Butch James, Jean de Villiers, Jaque Fourie, Wynand Olivier, Waylon Murray, Ashwin Willemse, Akona Ndungane*, JP Pietersen, Percy Montgomery, Frans Steyn.

Not considered: Bryan Habana

*On a four week speed programme but still in the squad

Fifteen players outside the squad who were released to play Currie Cup: Deon Carstens, Wayne Julies, Breyton Paulse, Tonderai Chavanga, Bismarck du Plessis, Bevin Fortuin, Odwa Ndungane, Johan Ackermann, Luke Watson, Joe van Niekerk, Wikus van Heerden, Gerrie Britz, AJ Venter, Jaco Pretorius Eddie Andrews, Kabamba Floors.

By Ryan Vrede, in Cape Town

Last edited by chook; 12-06-07 at 09:01. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Gigsa made me do it

vCash
    Dunno how Deon Carstens missed the squad.
    I suppose Jake-lost-49-0-to-the-Wallabies-White knows best.

vCash
    Well i bet connelly wont use spanner cause he is well i better not say what i want too but hes a tool

vCash
    what about du preez at halfback for the boks i would make him 1st choice not 3rd or 4th.

why does bryan habana need any more speed.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast