Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: MPs demand more black Boks

Immortal Contributor
    vCash

MPs demand more black Boks

MPs demand more black Boks

From Mariette le roux in Cape Town
    June 13, 2007

SOUTH Africa's rugby bosses have been hauled over the coals by politicans, over the continued dearth of black players in the national team 13 years after the end of apartheid.

Members of parliament's sports committee lined up to accuse administrators of failing to develop rugby at school and club level, paying lip service to demands for racial transformation, and of "window dressing"' by leaving black players on the bench.

But the sport's executives defended their commitment to change, saying the problem is partly a shortage of black players spread even thinner with the inclusion of a fifth South Africa team in the Super 14 tournament last year.

"Sport cannot be exonerated from the broad picture of government programs," said committee chairman Butana Komphela, a member of the governing African National Congress (ANC).

"Sport cannot be excluded from imperatives of empowerment and transformation," he told executives of the national and provincial teams and the Super 14 franchises.

South Africa is one of the favourites to win this year's rugby World Cup in France, having recently thrashed holder England and producing both finalists in last month's Super 14 final.

But the countdown to the tournament is being overshadowed by criticism of the make-up of the Springbok team, which rarely includes more than four players of colour in its starting XV.

Another ANC MP, Tsietsi Louw, said that black players aspiring to make the national side are running into obstacles that have nothing to do with their ability.

"There is a deliberate political agenda to keep these black players where they are. Only three or four will (succeed)."

Union representatives are "not doing us a favour" by reporting they have three black players on board, said Louw.

"How is it possible that after 13 years we have only three players?"

South African Rugby Union (SARU) president Oregon Hoskins agreed there are problems.

"I am not happy with the pace of transformation," he told the committee.

"We will endeavour to do the best we can in what are sometimes difficult and trying circumstances."

The committee was unimpressed, saying it has been hearing the same things for over a decade.

"The national leadership (of rugby) claims that it has transformation targets in place but reality does not reflect this," said committee member and opposition United Democratic Movement leader Bantu Holomisa.

He proposed a strategy be developed with clear timeframes and targets, failing which "we will meet again here next year as we have done very year for 13 years now asking: 'Where is the transformation?'"

Komphela recently suggested players should have their passports impounded if the squad does not become more representative of the country's ethnic mix, although the idea was quickly shot down by the government.

And a political row is raging in the country after Hoskins intervened in national squad selection to ensure the inclusion of Stormers flanker Luke Watson, whose father Cheeky was an anti-apartheid activist.

His father's struggle roots caused Western Cape provincial premier Ebrahim Rasool to comment that Watson should be considered a black player and given selection preference.

Komphela said overnight such tiffs are demoralising players, and should not be aired publicly.

He stressed that nobody in South Africa wants to take over the political control of rugby, but urged administrators to pull up their socks.

"We need for unions to embrace transformation."

Agence France-Presse

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    "Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

Senior Player Contributor hopep's Avatar
    vCash
    No No No.
    No more political interference in the management of sport.

The whole PC thing is a big farce in the first place, it used to give undue and unfair advantage to one group over another - PC selection, in the workplace, is just bias under a pretty name.

The 'hairybacks' had a horrid time when they first got over apartheid. But they managed to finally start putting solid teams back on the paddock. They do NOT need some fat arsed politician telling them to "change the numbers" based on racial bias.
    The 'best' players will rise up the ranks over time.

We are talking about the pinnicle of sport - it is supposed to be at an elite (skill) level - it is NEVER going to represent the society it grows from. Thats what makes it elite.
    Please, any Saffies on the list, get on to your pollies and tell them to BUTT OUT. SA rugby is better than its been in 50 years and their whinging.

Legend Contributor Flamethrower's Avatar
    vCash
    Komphela recently suggested players should have their passports impounded if the squad does not become more representative of the country's ethnic mix,
    Do it now. Make a stand.

although the idea was quickly shot down by the government.
    Ohh thats right, they want to try and win some games

Posted via space

Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    I think they should chose this weekend to get the balance right for the season.
    Play twenty two "Blacks" in Cape Town and then play who they want for the rest of the year...

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    Geez, just play whoever has the best skills and cohesiveness for the team to be successful. Skin colour shouldnt come into it, they are all South African last time i checked and therefore have the equal right to represent their country.

vCash
    My favourite show was black books, oh, you mean black boks, my bad...

SA Rugby needs to be left out of politics for the sake of the game...Over time more and more players will come from all over thier country, and from all types of upbringings, let nature take its course...

Proudly bought to you by a brewery somewhere....

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by frontrow
    Over time more and more players will come from all over thier country, and from all types of upbringings, let nature take its course...
    Well I think that's what they were hoping for 13 years on. I don't know enough about the dynamics of player development in ZA to make any comment so maybe one of our expat ZA members could enlighten us.

If there is institutional prejudice holding up the development of young black rugby players in elite programs etc., then there is a problem that needs to be attacked at the grass roots. The old 'keep politics out of sport' chestnut doesn't cut it.

Legend Contributor fulvio sammut's Avatar
    vCash
    The turn of phrase "Black Boks" makes it sound like the aftermath of a plane crash...

vCash
    Reading this and other threads on a similar theme on this board makes me think we all agree with the ideas:

a) politics has no place in sport
    b) the best players regardless of race/colour/religion should be selected

however with respect that is not what the MP's are specifically agrieved about. Of course they want to see more black players in the national team now but they are highlighting the fact that given 13 years to change things in the country the output (i.e. number of successful blacks) does not suggest the input (i.e. the effort the SARU has put into developing the game in black areas) was sufficiently and genuinely applied.

To talk of the sport being elite in the 21st century is nonesense, of course if blacks are never given equal opportunities and access to resources then the numbers representing the country at the highest level will never reflect the population make up...its as they say "if you keep doing the same thing then don't be surprised if you keep getting the same result". That is what the MP's are saying, they feel the SARU promise to improve things but in fact over 13 years they have not changed a thing.

vCash
    So if we're all saying that the Saffers should only make their selection based on ability............why are there so many 'Tahs in the Wallabies squad.....???!!!

CHEERLEADERS ROCK!!!

Immortal Contributor The InnFORCEr's Avatar
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by JediKnight
    So if we're all saying that the Saffers should only make their selection based on ability............why are there so many 'Tahs in the Wallabies squad.....???!!!
    Chook please allow me........because they are the best players

80 Minutes, 15 Positions, No Protection, Wanna Ruck?

Ruck Me, Maul Me, Make Me Scrum!

Education is Important, but Rugby is Importanter!

vCash
    Ah....TiF shows his true colours (baby blue!)....you can take the boy out of NSW but you can't take NSW out of the boy.....!!!!! He he he!!!

CHEERLEADERS ROCK!!!

Immortal Contributor The InnFORCEr's Avatar
    vCash
    just helping Chook out Jedi, I know that's exactly what he would say, kinda

80 Minutes, 15 Positions, No Protection, Wanna Ruck?

Ruck Me, Maul Me, Make Me Scrum!

Education is Important, but Rugby is Importanter!

vCash
    only not quite so eloquent!

CHEERLEADERS ROCK!!!

vCash
    Political bullshit, the only thing in the way of the Boks winning the RWC.

Every forwards dream is to become a back...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast