Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Brave Wallabies pipped by Springboks

vCash
    How would we all feel if the Wallabies won by a drop goal?

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Laura Force Addict v Chook scrabble-off on Facebook: laura & Force Addict 0 | chook 9

Gigsa made me do it

"He who conquers others is strong; he who conquers himself is mighty." – Lao Tzu

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    In a word? "Flat".
    I have no issue with a win coming from a Drop Goal in a drawn match (ie 1 point to win) however, I feel it is not good for the sport to have teams relying on them for a six point turn around.
    It may be a little cynical but with a weapon like Steyn you could well see SA developing a game out of driving to the 35-40 and giving him the shot. If he gets it it's three points, if he misses they get the ball back from the 22 to try again.
    Most of us didn't like the English ball retention and field position until the penalty came for Jonny of 2003 and I doubt many will like too many more matches decided with multiple Drop Goals.
    I fully respect the talent and skill of both of those kicks on the weekend, I just hate to see even more reason that we will be experiencing even less tries in the future.
    What brings more enjoyment, Steyn kicking a Drop Goal or (our ) Bryan tearing down the wing for a five pointer?

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    I'd feel great. That said it still doesn't make me like the idea of drop goals winning matches as it takes away from the main spectacle of rugby, try scoring, not getting within shooting range and banging 'em over...Fair enough for penalties, but in free play, points should be earned...

Proudly bought to you by a brewery somewhere....

vCash
    Who remembers RWC 03 final - and the Western Force Vs Lions game - Drop Goals are part of the game get over it - time for the Oz lads to learn how to do it too -

remember rules aren't made to be broken merely manipulated to give the correct outcome !

61 years between Grand Slams Was the wait worth it - Ya betta baby

vCash
    Might have been a different story if Larkham had booted the ball out and not kicked it straight to Steyne at the 73minute mark.

A win is a win. I'd be happy enough to take a win with a drop goal. Its a compliment to the opposition defence on one hand and also a opportunity taken by the attacking team because the opposition didn't win good enough field position.

I don't think too many players in the world could have kicked a 40 meter drop gaol from the sideline. Steyne is a special talent and it would be remiss of the Springboks to not use all attacking options.

Laura Force Addict v Chook scrabble-off on Facebook: laura & Force Addict 0 | chook 9

Gigsa made me do it

"He who conquers others is strong; he who conquers himself is mighty." – Lao Tzu

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Ironically TQ1, probably some of the best drop kickers in the world have been from Australia, unfortunately they were all playing Australian Rules before the drop punt was embraced
    If Australian teams were to develop a style that heavily relied on drop goals to win matches I doubt I would continue to pay money to attend.
    They are a blight on the sport and I choose not to get over it because I live in hope that the IRB will one day see the light and decrease the points value of both forms of kicking.

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    I'm with burgs on this one, fieldgoals are too heavily rewarded and this issue really needs to be addressed...It isn't a case of sour grapes, but rather a reflection of what people pay money to watch, ie fast free flowing "running with the ball", not getting within kicking range then taking the opportunity...
    We lost, big deal, we lost the world cup the same way...We have fieldgoals, soccer has penalty shootouts, etc...both are blights on the game imo...
    No TQ1, i won't get over it, not yet...

Proudly bought to you by a brewery somewhere....

vCash
    I agree that they are a blight and yield to many points - but we wish to beat the Kiwis within the current rules (they won't fall for the food poisoning trick again) - when you have fifteen phases in front of the try line - it must be considered a sensible option to knock it back to a kicker and take the points - a win is a win !

61 years between Grand Slams Was the wait worth it - Ya betta baby

vCash
    Drop Goals should be worth at least 5 points

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    ...if you kick five of them

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

(formerly known as Coach) Your Humble Servant Darren's Avatar
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Goldmember
    Drop Goals should be worth at least 5 points
    Make them worth 6, and what say we award a single point for missing a drop goal! Why don't we get rid of the cross bar too - it'll just get in the way - and perhaps to make the drop goals easier to kick from close in, we should probably add a bit of a curve to the field rather than the traditional rectangle....

Dear Lord, if you give us back Johnny Cash, we'll give you Justin Bieber.

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    I think that in countries like South Africe, who have an unruly element to their crowds, they should look at erecting a net to catch the ball too Coach...

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Coach
    Make them worth 6, and what say we award a single point for missing a drop goal! Why don't we get rid of the cross bar too - it'll just get in the way - and perhaps to make the drop goals easier to kick from close in, we should probably add a bit of a curve to the field rather than the traditional rectangle....

hey good idea, mabey WA could get a decent ground then!!!

<>

Veteran Contributor The EnForcer's Avatar
    vCash
    Great game. It's been a while since I have seen real passion from a team and the Wallabies played with all of the passion you could possibly ask for. Great team effort with the exception of Huxley who didn't realy look part of the group. Get him off and Sheps in, he's had his chance.

I was even more than impressed with Tuquir, who was extremely hungry for the ball and made a great impact. Dunning was a different man out there and did some great work along with a pack who looked like they should play together...great stuff to see. Well done to Moore for turning his game around and performing well.

Back line looked solid and with a bit more work will be the envy of the world cup. Huxley not included in that last comment.

Hate to say it but the Wallatahs did well!

Just happy to be here

vCash
    Oh uh, someone's hacked TEF's account.

Have to agree about Huxley too, there really should have been a switch at half time, Mitchell or Gerrard should have moved to fullback, or at least have gits or larkham doing those pressure kicks.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast