Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Huxley only No.2 at best

Immortal Contributor
    vCash

Huxley only No.2 at best

Huxley only No.2 at best

From Peter Jenkins in Cape Town, South Africa
    June 17, 2007

INCUMBENT Australia full back Julian Huxley says he is a caretaker and is ready to step aside after Chris Latham launches his comeback next month.

Latham is yet to play this season after undergoing a knee reconstruction following a training mishap in January.

But Huxley, who played his fourth Test in succession against the Springboks in Cape Town overnight, is under no illusions about the direction selectors will take when Latham returns.

"Lath is an automatic selection as long as he's fit, and I know that," Huxley said before the match against South Africa at Newlands.

"He's been the world's best ful lback for the last few years now.

"He's shown that, and it's hard to top.

"I've just wanted to enjoy Test rugby. It's been great to play at this level. You challenge yourself and, if you can come up with the goods, it's a really satisfying feeling.

"It's all about me playing to my potential and if I'm doing that, whatever happens with selection, I'll be happy."

Wallabies coach John Connolly admitted heading into the fixture against the Springboks that Huxley's form had been an encouraging spinoff from the two victories over Wales and last week's win against Fiji.

Huxley has grown in confidence after an unsteady start to the first game against Wales, and he is now pushing for inclusion in the 30-man Rugby World Cup squad.

The Wallabies will take two full backs to France, and the Brumbies utility back, who is capable of also playing at five-eighth and outside centre, looks likely to fill the standby role ahead of Force full back/wing Cameron Shepherd.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    "Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    I feel after last nights performance he may struggle to keep his spot after some silly mistakes, although generally he played OK....Latham then Sheps, then Huxley for mine...

Proudly bought to you by a brewery somewhere....

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by frontrow
    I feel after last nights performance he may struggle to keep his spot after some silly mistakes
    I thought that about 'Turnstile" Hewat after the Japan match but the selectors allowed him to go on to set new lows yesterday

Quote Originally Posted by frontrow
    although generally he played OK.
    Yeah he did. His mistakes were generally when he was put in heavy pressure situations. But if Shep's knee is OK he should take over next match.

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    How was Sheps’ Aus A match shasta (or others...)?
    Pretty hard to look good in a 50-0 loss but any good signs?
    Did he spend any time at Fullback?
    With Huxley, firstly I don't rate him at this level, utility bench player at the International level at best.
    That said, he was given the chance and I just got the impression that he was a little overwhelmed by the occasion.
    When a player is hot and cold during a match like that you often hear later that he was a bundle of nerves and, given the coliseum like nature of Newlands, that would be unacceptable but understandable.
    He will be better for the experience and I imagine a valuable Squad Member in France.
    Roll on Shep and then Latho...

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    Don't expect to see the Wallabies in the RWC semi-finals if Huxley's the utility back ahead of Shepherd (who should be starting fullback until Latham can prove his fitness at the highest level).

CHEERLEADERS ROCK!!!

Veteran Bookie
    Contributor
    vCash
    Going by past experience from players coming back from knee reconstructions(especially AFL). You dont just pull on the boots and kick off where you were at prior to the injury. It is a basically a test of time to get confidence back in your own ability and not worry about getting injured again. Latham is a exceptional player but i doubt even he can bounce back and claim no 15 for the RWC. I would love him back and if fit he would slot into 15 in front of Shep, but i doubt he will be ready. Huxley is serviceable but surely Shep is a far more polished and versatile player.

the punters friend..... stick with me and you will be wearing

vCash
    Sheps wasn't overly impressive in the Aus A game burgs. Neither was Digby. Missed some very important tackles and the defence in general was very average.

Cam definitely wasn't playing his best rugby yesterday, but I would still pick him over huxley.

I made Happy sad...

vCash
    Agree with you again frontrow lath then sheps then hux. All Props must have great minds eh

Legend Contributor fulvio sammut's Avatar
    vCash
    I'd pick an artheritic one legged baboon with a broken ankle before I'd pick Huxley after last night's performance. Come to think of it , I'd make myself available if it kept him out...

vCash
    Latho has played no rugby this year #1 Sheps #2 latho #3 Huxley and if Sheps aint at #15 then I'd have him on the bench or at wing.

Every forwards dream is to become a back...

vCash
    Didn't get back yesterday, Burgs. The boss here has this thing about productivity sometimes

You've heard about the A game. The Eastwood-Norths game was the same but on a quagmire. The thing I noticed in both was that he didn't seem to stride out, understandable in the conditions, and the knee was heavily strapped. I suspect that was what kept Hewat in for the Dunedin match. Hopefully he's getting confidence though and will be right for the Bledisloe.
    I wouldn't write Huxley off. Look at his form for the rest of the year. He can also play 10 if necessary at some stage.

vCash
    Cam looked very tentaitive on Saturday and did not have any pace. I would almost say that he has come back too early just to give himself a chance, but needs a lot more game time. Given this with Cam, I also can't see how Latho will be able to come up to speed for test level in time for the end of the Tri nations - hopefully be ok for the world cup.

I hate to say this (feel disloyal to our force boys)- but I have been very impressed with Schifcofske - his goal kicking has been sensational. Turner also looks like a wild card that should also be given a go.

Jasper

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Huxley hoping for another chance

Monday, June 18, 2007

Julian Huxley is desperately hoping for a shot at Test redemption after a mixed performance in Australia's heartbreaking 22-19 Tri Nations loss to the Springboks.

The Wallabies returned home from Cape Town today lamenting yet another failure in South Africa and Huxley faces an anxious wait before learning if he retains his fullback spot for Saturday week's showdown with New Zealand in Melbourne.

The 27-year-old had a mixed game and admitted to struggling making the step up from the previous Tests against Wales and Fiji.

He twice kicked out on the full early and, as one Cape Town newspaper reported, "never asked the Springboks any questions" in attack.

"For me really, that was probably really my serious Test debut. With all respect to Wales and Fiji, that was the Test to measure yourself on and I wasn't happy with a lot of things," Huxley said.

"But there were some good things and hopefully I get another crack."

Huxley was a bit unlucky to over-cook one kick-off and did atone somewhat with vital tackles on Springboks halfback Ruan Pienaar and No.8 Pierre Spies.

"(Springboks winger) Ashwin Willemse was doing the splits. He caught it about two inches in from touch and had one foot out so he's done well there," he said.

"And the first one (I kicked out on the full), maybe a bit too much adrenalin. I got too much on it.

"Yeah, it was a bit of mixed bag for me, which was disappointing."

Huxley has been deputising for Chris Latham, who the Wallabies are expecting to have back on deck for the final Tri Nations game against New Zealand in Auckland on July 21 following his recovery from a knee reconstruction.

"He'll probably play a couple of trials before that," Wallabies coach John Connolly said.

Connolly indicated Huxley would get another chance, although Cameron Shepherd is also in the mix having been initially pencilled in to caretake for Latham before suffering his own knee injury late in the Super 14 season.

"It was a big Test for Julian. It was hard back there under all that pressure," Connolly said.

"I said to Julian it's difficult. It's a huge day and you've got a guy who hasn't played a lot (of Test football) and he did some good stuff and bad stuff.

"He'll be a lot more comfortable. I mean, you're not going to expect miracles overnight."

Connolly will name his squad for the All Blacks Test on Wednesday and one positive to emerge from the latest South Africa nightmare - apart from collecting a bonus point - was that the Wallabies escaped without picking up any major injury concerns.

Hooker Stephen Moore (sternum) may require a scan, while halfback George Gregan (ankle) is not expected to miss any game time after being injured early at Cape Town.

Gregan battled on bravely to be among Australia's best performers.

"He's a tough bugger. He stayed on the bike at halftime for 10 minutes. I think he pedalled 10km at halftime," Connolly said.

"New Zealand provide slightly different challenges, but we're very comfortable with this team.

"The All Blacks have a lot of confidence, so they would think they could beat anyone.

"But South Africa and ourselves are confident against them. We believe we can beat them.

"I said that last year and we had those two close ones, so there's a belief."

AAP

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    If Hux can play at No 10 why not at No 9 to? that seems to be the norm at the moment

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by prop53
    If Hux can play at No 10 why not at No 9 to? that seems to be the norm at the moment
    P53 I love your ability to unite literal and Rugby eloquence so neatly.
    The long and the short of it is Huxley is the best of the rest.
    As 15 goes there are only 2 real choices Latho and Zorro.
    As for 10 Bernie and Gitt's.
    But as P53 so rightly pointed out Hux has played 10 as well 15.
    Two dads has proved his worthlessness and sadly Gerrard has relegated himself to substitute winger role with ordinary performances.
    So it seems by default Huxley gets a World Cup berth due to his flexibility and let us average ability.
    At 10 Gitt's, Bernie and ........Hux (in that order).
    At 15 Latho, Zorro and ........Hux (in that order).

Brother Gallagher I hear you

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast