Thread: Reds poised to sign Van Humphries

Immortal Contributor
    vCash

Reds poised to sign Van Humphries

Reds poised to sign Van Humphries

The Qld Reds have snared a prized catch for next season with a signature pending from former Australia A lock Van Humphries who has just returned from a playing stint in Japan.

The giant 31 year old lock is set to sign a two year deal with the Reds and will bring a wealth of experience to the young Qld pack.

Standing 203 cm and weighing 118kgs, he shapes as a very astute signing by new coach Phil Mooney.

“Van is a young thirty one,” he told me. “He started rugby late and hasn’t been knocked around. He’s looked after himself and is the kind of guy who will be a terrific mentor for someone like James Horwill.”

“He reads the lineout very well and has the experience and skill to make the calls. He is also a very powerful scrummager.”

Moree raised Humphries is the quintessential rugby gypsy having enjoyed stints with the Reds and Waratahs before venturing overseas to play in Italy and Japan.

He is currently reacquainting himself with the local scene and turning out with Souths in Brisbane.

Mooney also revealed that 25 yo Morgan Turinui is very close to signing with the Reds.

“We have a very young backline and Morgan is a perfect fit for us with his experience and rugby intellect. I’m sure we can re-energize his rugby because he still has so much to offer.”

A third signing for the Reds is promising backrower Leroy Houston who was released by the Waratahs last year on personal grounds.

20 year old Houston played for the Australian U19 team in 2005 and is currently playing local rugby league in Sydney for Asquith.

As the former coach of Australia’s world champion U19 side, Mooney is well placed to help Houston finally achieve his undoubted potential.

- by Gordon Bray

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    "Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    Morgs is going? Maybe that explains the interest in Matt King.

Laura Force Addict v Chook scrabble-off on Facebook: laura & Force Addict 0 | chook 9

Gigsa made me do it

"He who conquers others is strong; he who conquers himself is mighty." – Lao Tzu

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Been on the cards for a fair while that one Chook, would be a relief I imagine?
    The talent is there not to need King though.

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    Morgs is fine with me really. Just don't put him on the wing. He's a nice bloke too.

Laura Force Addict v Chook scrabble-off on Facebook: laura & Force Addict 0 | chook 9

Gigsa made me do it

"He who conquers others is strong; he who conquers himself is mighty." – Lao Tzu

vCash
    Now that Eddie Jones has gone, this ridiculous obsession with RL signings is at an end in Queensland. Unfortunately, the Matt King issue seems to indicate that NSW will continue this nonsense and thereby continue to frustrate and upset the local young talent.

vCash
    I agree with you tic, never thought i'd say that...

Proudly bought to you by a brewery somewhere....

Legend Court Reporter
    Contributor
    vCash
    I'm glad to see Queensland rebuilding- you hate to see any Australian side do badly (except when they're playing the Force). Your right tic that two teams badly under perform, admittedly wracked with injury, and one goes about fixing the problem in a positive way and the other buggerizes around.

What are NSW up to anyway? Do they want an all-league backline? Tuqiri, Tahu, King, Harris (he was a league player wasn't he?) plus there has been talk of many others like Craig Wing (?). Bah!