Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: O'Neill: Vic team will happen

(formerly known as Coach) Your Humble Servant Darren's Avatar
    vCash

O'Neill: Vic team will happen

Ron Reed
    June 29, 2007 12:00am
    http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/sto...-11809,00.html

JOHN O'Neill, one of Australia's highest-profile sports administrators, started back in his old job of running rugby yesterday -- in Melbourne.

After three years driving the soccer revolution, O'Neill has returned to his first love in time for tomorrow night's Bledisloe Cup blockbuster against New Zealand at the MCG. More than 1300 fans welcomed him back at the VRU's Weary Dunlop Club lunch, where he said he had big plans for the game in Melbourne.

RR: First day back, we have the South African team issue, the Bledisloe Cup on, the World Cup around the corner and the Wallabies under some pressure -- the hot seat hasn't cooled at all.

JO: That's inevitable. These jobs aren't a walk in the park. I knew what to expect. Fortunately I'm fairly familiar with the issues so I've been able to hit the ground running.

When you left did you imagine you might be back?

I thought I might return in some capacity, but not as managing director. Non-executive chairman, perhaps. I'm surprised to be back in this precise role. My wife agreed reluctantly, so here I am.

Is the game a passion for you, or a well-paid and powerful job?

It's a passion. I've had a love affair with rugby since my father took me to my first Test at the SCG when I was five. We got beat by South Africa and I don't think I've missed a Test match since. I was a very ordinary player and an aspirational coach -- the game is in my veins. I have an enormous affection for it.

Satisfied with what you achieved in football, as you still refer to it?

It was an unbelievable three years. A bit of luck and a bit of good management. For the Socceroos to make the World Cup and round of 16 was extraordinary. We created the A-League and to move into Asia, they are three really big foundations the game can build on.

What did it teach you about sport in general?

When you're exposed to the world's largest sport, it's sort of breathtaking how big it is. It makes you ambitious for rugby because we're in kindergartenland compared with football. I've learnt a lot about how we might do things better. FIFA is a very sophisticated organisation and international rugby can learn a lot from them.

Rugby was riding high when you left. Now?

We had a remarkable run from the World Cup victory in 1999. The spectacle has lost a bit of its entertainment value and we've tended to just not win as much as we should. If we are going to address the winning factor and make the game more entertaining, we can bring people back very quickly.

Having helped soccer open up a gap in profile and popularity, have you become your own worst enemy?

There's a bit of that, but the powerbrokers in rugby at the time knowingly let me go when I wanted to stay for another four years. It's a bit like leaving Woolworths to run Coles. With football I did the best job I could and have a great fondness for the people there. The fact I have created football as a major competitor, that's life. You've just got to put up with that.

In Melbourne the code has developed a niche market, which you helped create. Where does that stand now?

The disappointment of not getting the Super 14 rugby franchise, well, life goes on. Rugby league dominates the Sydney market with eight teams; the AFL dominates Melbourne with nine. Yet Melbourne Victory have shown what can be done. Look at their success after two years. Melbourne Storm too. I do think if we get a (Super 14) team here, it will go gangbusters. Melburnians are very adaptable. They love high-quality contests. A Melbourne team in Super rugby, they will come.

Is that a priority?

Yes it is. Then you've got a real national presence. It would make a massive difference to the way we could promote the game.

What sort of time-frame?

We're 2 1/2 years from reviewing the broadcast contract. It would have to come in commensurate with the renewal of that, so we're talking around 2012. Maybe even earlier.

If you'd been in the job two years ago, would Melbourne have been a better chance to get the franchise that went to Perth?

There's no mileage in me going down that path. Decisions were taken by the ARU based on the best evidence and information.

Melbourne now has the Rebels ready to play in the new Australian Rugby Championship. When the AFL sent South Melbourne to Sydney, it had to nearly die three or four times before it got the support to survive and thrive. That won't happen with this, will it?

With all start-ups, you have to be realistic. You take two steps forward, one step back. You have to be patient, be here for the long haul and be enduring.

Should George Gregan be captain at the World Cup?

That's up to coach John Connolly to decide, and the selectors. I'm more interested in the leadership group as a whole and George is an integral part of that. He's been there and done it for so long. There's Stirling Mortlock, Phil Waugh, Stephen Larkham, Nathan Sharpe, Dan Vickerman and George Smith -- that's a very impressive group of leaders. Any of them could have captain after their name.

Where does George sit among Australian sportsman of his era?

It's hard to imagine a more enduring sportsman. To play such a physical game from 1994 to 2007, as such a little bloke, he's the consummate professional. Kids embarking on a professional rugby career should look at the work he has done.

Do you expect to win the World Cup?

I expect us to be competitive.

Of course, but is there a minimum result?

The reality is a game at a time. Making the semis would be a very good outcome and then who knows? For a country like us, out of five finals we've been in three and won two, the semis is an appropriate ambition.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Dear Lord, if you give us back Johnny Cash, we'll give you Justin Bieber.

Legend Contributor brokendown gunfighter's Avatar
    vCash
    we were lucky O'neill left when he did,otherwise Melbourne would have got the decicion

(formerly known as Coach) Your Humble Servant Darren's Avatar
    vCash
    them Melbournians love their sport ...

Dear Lord, if you give us back Johnny Cash, we'll give you Justin Bieber.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by brokendown gunfighter
    we were lucky O'neill left when he did,otherwise Melbourne would have got the decicion
    I thought that at first read too. But JON was always pretty supportive of WA rugby in his first tilt at the job. He can hint different now as The Force are cemented in the S14. It helps to keep the mexicans from stepping on their bottom lips and encourages them to support matches staged in Melbourne.

I wonder if it is just coincidence that all the "Force-bashing" in the east has largely gone quiet since he was re-employed?

Legend Contributor Flamethrower's Avatar
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Coach
    them Melbournians love their sport ...

Burgs should be back tonight or tomorrow.

Posted via space

Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

Player
    vCash
    wow this is awesome news, a melbourne super 14 tem possibly by 2012.... i never would have thought! hope it happens....

vCash
    A fifth super rugby team in Australia in the next 20 years will destroy Australian rugby. There aint enough talent to go around.

Now lets dispel this myth that Victorians love their rugby. Of the 79000 tickets sold to Bledisloe Cup, guess how many were sold in Victoria? Less than 20%! (Source - Sydney Morning Herald). That's only 15800. Now of these 15800, you've got to expect that at least 10000 were expat kiwis or NSW'ers living in Melbourne. Therefore, in reality, only about 5000 locals bothered to buy a ticket.

That is a pathetic result!

The Melbourne Storm have been in the NRL for a decade now with a very competitive team - yet until recently, they averaged about 8000 to a game. Even now, the average is only around 12000 - when they have the best team in the comp. Rugby is even less well accepted than Rugby League in Melbourne, so what type of crowds would they pull if a super rugby team arrived in town - maybe 4000 average?

Perth was a logical choice for the fourth team and is well supported locally. The same will never be true of a Melbourne team. Such a move will destroy rugby as we know it.

vCash
    Hmmm... more rugby can only be a good thing, surely? I don't begrudge Melbourne getting a S14 team, but I would have begrudged them getting it at the expense of a Perth team - that would not have made any sense at all.

And look at it this way: it would give WA another opportunity to beat the Vics

Success is not final, failure is not fatal:
    it is the courage to continue that counts.
    - Winston Churchill

vCash
    The only reason the Vics want a Rugby Team is because they don't have one.
    NT and Tassie should have AFL teams. And not some half sucked setup like Hawthorn have running with Tassie, but based in each state.

Posted via space

Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

Player
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by tic
    That's only 15800. Now of these 15800, you've got to expect that at least 10000 were expat kiwis or NSW'ers living in Melbourne. Therefore, in reality, only about 5000 locals bothered to buy a ticket.

That is a pathetic result!
    geez that sounds like some thorough research mate....not

to assume 10,000 werent vics is just about the stupidest statement ive heard in a while and then to finish with a statement 'thats a pathetic result' based on ur own misguided stats doesnt really make sense. that newspaper result sounds like rubbish too, considering the MCC members stand would have been vics plus whoever else bought tickets. the game was attended by plenty of ppl i know who dont have any great interest in rugby, what your forgeting is melbourne loves a big sporting event.

but its probably right that a melbourne super 14 team wouldnt have any great support. i would estimate crowd numbers would average about 10,000. but the idea would be, as it was in perth, to develop the game in a new market and expose the game to people who wont have seen much top-grade rugby. the arc will be a start, a super 14 team and more rugby tests would be a progression. it is australias second biggest city after all and there has been no serious investigation into progressing rugby in melbourne. the reason rugby union is seen as the 'sick' football code of australia is because there is hardly any exposure to it. 4-6 home tests and a super 14 season covered only on pay-tv and of which half the games are played at untimely hours (SA games). combine with that rugby is a very complicated game and u really cant just turn on a rugby test and follow whats going on. S14 teams in perth and melb are designed to give these areas regular exposure to the game and a team to associate with.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by felixnelson
    , what your forgeting is melbourne loves a big sporting event.
    Ohh Yeah!! Those Prictorians love their sport

Posted via space

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Crusaders keeping Vic options open

July 01, 2007 - 1:35pm
    Story by: Sportal

The Crusaders are continuing to pursue their long-term goal of playing some Super 14 home games in Melbourne.

The Christchurch-based franchise is likely to play a regular season game against the Stormers in London next year.

And the match may act as precursor to the team hosting a match in the Victorian capital in the 2009 season.

Crusaders CEO Hamish Riach told The Herald on Sunday: "We looked at playing the Brumbies in our opening game in Melbourne, but we never got to the point of seeking approval or making a formal application.

"The Brumbies game was the right one but we decided to play another trial game in Melbourne to see if the support we have had there in the past could be replicated.

"Playing in Melbourne is something we don't rule out and it is something we want to do in the future."

The Victorian Rugby Union supports the move.

The VRU and their Canterbury counterparts already share strong links, with Crusaders coaching staff providing support to the new Melbourne Rebels side in pre-season training for the inaugural Australian Rugby Championship.

VRU president Gary Gray said: "I would say the appetite for Super rugby has been enhanced truck-loads in the last 48 hours for a number of reasons.

"We have an underlying passion for rugby in Victoria and maybe people in the traditional rugby provinces don't realise that we will be celebrating 100 years of existence in 2009.

"We have produced 26 Wallabies and continue to provide Super 14 players."

The move helps the Crusaders in their bid to expand their support base and find back-up venues to avoid the kind of scheduling clash that Auckland's Blues have faced with cricket at Eden Park.

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

Champion
    vCash
    Is the link between the Crusaders and Melbourne the reason why the son of NZR Chairman Jock Hobbs is going to play ARC for the Rebels?
    How can a NZ team play a "home" game in another country?

Player
    vCash
    i guess they see melbourne as an untapped resource? theres a lot of ppl here and not alot of rugby. quite afew expats here too. seems bizaare tho, hopefully they do the force/crusaders trial game again so i can see the force play live for the first time

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by felixnelson
    geez that sounds like some thorough research mate....not

to assume 10,000 werent vics is just about the stupidest statement ive heard in a while and then to finish with a statement 'thats a pathetic result' based on ur own misguided stats doesnt really make sense. that newspaper result sounds like rubbish too, considering the MCC members stand would have been vics plus whoever else bought tickets. the game was attended by plenty of ppl i know who dont have any great interest in rugby, what your forgeting is melbourne loves a big sporting event.

but its probably right that a melbourne super 14 team wouldnt have any great support. i would estimate crowd numbers would average about 10,000. but the idea would be, as it was in perth, to develop the game in a new market and expose the game to people who wont have seen much top-grade rugby. the arc will be a start, a super 14 team and more rugby tests would be a progression. it is australias second biggest city after all and there has been no serious investigation into progressing rugby in melbourne. the reason rugby union is seen as the 'sick' football code of australia is because there is hardly any exposure to it. 4-6 home tests and a super 14 season covered only on pay-tv and of which half the games are played at untimely hours (SA games). combine with that rugby is a very complicated game and u really cant just turn on a rugby test and follow whats going on. S14 teams in perth and melb are designed to give these areas regular exposure to the game and a team to associate with.
    OK smart man - the source of my comments was Fairfax media and the ARU have said nothing to debunk the source - FACT. So, I believe I am within rights for now to assume it to be true.

Secondly, of the local ticket sales, do you seriously contend that the vast majority were not purchased by expat kiwis and NSW people? You must be more naive than you sound.

Finally, as for members - I saw vast banks of empty seats that looked suspiciously like members seats - the same seats that sat empty when Bledisloe was played in Melbourne a decade ago.

I am frankly surprised that Petrh people aren't outraged at the poor support from true "VIctorians". After all, it seems that you guys are more deserving of the occasional Bledisloe than Melbourne - it would really be a great reward for the genuine acceptance of the Force on the local scene. After all, this shouldn't always be about the bigger gate and the the bigger revenue - NZ rugby well understands this fact.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast