Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Staniforth, Sharpe and Giteau Bring it Home for the Wallabies!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by fulvio sammut
    Let's not start behaving like the Kiwis I was with for the first 60 or so minutes- totally insufferable.
    We won, they lost
    After 2(actually 3 years Aug 2004 according to coachie) years of drought I'm definitely going to enjoy this one - All Kiwis are on notice - I shall be insufferable (as my head this morning ) for at least a week - even though it wasn't the tidest victory ever - we won ! comon Kiwis as Hendry siad last night it is charcter building stuff you can take it

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by Thequeerone; 01-07-07 at 10:15.
    61 years between Grand Slams Was the wait worth it - Ya betta baby

vCash

Thanks Ricky!

Well I'd just like to thank the All Block's open side flanker for his efforts in this great Wallaby victory.
    If it wasn't for Rickie McGraw missing a crucial tackle on Adam Ashley-Cooper along with lock Chris Jock and dance chorographer Rice Gear. Then Maclaw's missed tackle in open field on Captain Australia Stirling Mortlock, after All Blick scape goat Luke Mcalison let the Man of the Match slip through. Then the All Bleck defence was in turmoil as Captain Australia basket balled the ball to the try scoring machine little boy blue Scott Staniforth.

Dick Macraw we salute you!

I love this I can live on this for months, no years. Now let's reply to all those text messages I got through out the game from those New Zealanders!!!

Brother Gallagher I hear you

Legend Contributor fulvio sammut's Avatar
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Coach
    Still a bit stroppy about the loss to Kalamunda today eh, Fulvio?
    Probably, Coach. In vino veritas.

vCash
    Weee are the chaaaampions!!

I want to be unique - just like everybody else!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by fulvio sammut
    In vino veritas.

Never a truer word spoken.

vCash
    This is from an irish newspaper the Belfast Telegraph

www.sundaylife.co.uk/sport/article2725851.ece

Rugby: Black day for Kiwis

Australia 20 New Zealand 15

Sunday, July 01, 2007

By Peter Bills

Australia halted the All Blacks' rolling juggernaut towards the World Cup with a stunning late finish in Melbourne yesterday.

The Wallabies shocked their rivals by putting an end to New Zealand's eight-match winning run and they did it by scoring two converted tries in the last 16 minutes in front of an 80,000 crowd at the Melbourne Cricket Ground.

For watching Irish coach Eddie O'Sullivan, it must have been a match of encouragement. New Zealand led 15-6 at half time and had enough chances to close out any game.

But the Australian defence was again brilliant. And when the All Blacks began to fumble and panic as the Wallabies closed the gap to 15-13, it looked just like 2003 and the World Cup semi-final all over again.

Then, the Wallabies had upset the All Blacks in a titanic battle. And here again, New Zealand looked short of strong characters able to grab the match by the scruff of the neck and take charge.

Mind you, they had an excuse. They'd only flown in from South Africa where they'd played the Springboks, five days earlier. And exhaustion clearly cost them in the vital last quarter, especially after prop Carl Hayman was sin-binned for handling on the ground. While he was off, Australia scored.

Not a lot looked on when Adam Ashley-Cooper got the ball close to the touchline, 10 metres from the New Zealand line. But the wing smashed his way through to dive over. Matt Giteau converted superbly and Australia were back in it at 13-15.

Australian captain Stirling Mortlock made the vital winning score, bursting strongly downfield in the 73rd minute before sending replacement Scott Staniforth over under the posts. Matt Giteau converted to complete Australia's remarkable rally.

Rico Gear got the other All Black try after 26 minutes.

But New Zealand were below their best and Australia sensed their chance and closed out the game.

vCash
    with you all the way No 8

Legend
    Apprentice Bookie
    vCash
    I think we were lucky to win

Our Lineout was rubbish, our scrum was worse - when the Referee actually let a scrum go through to completion. As a matter of fact - the Referee had a shocker at the line out as well.

We desperately need a new Hooker and Fullback.

Hands up who cringed when Trestle came on?

Its a win, and I will take it - but lets stop bouncing off the ceiling shall we.

Exile
    Sydney

"Pain heels. Chicks dig scars and Glory lasts forever." Shane Falco

(formerly known as Coach) Your Humble Servant Darren's Avatar
    vCash

Wallabies hung tough and waited for All Blacks to fold

Not sure of the original Source, as I took this from the Forums at Chris O'Youngs new home

An overpowered Wallabies outfit vowed at halftime to "stay strong" and hang in at the MCG with the hope the All Blacks could implode.

As it turned out, they were on the money as New Zealand "folded" under the pressure of holding a tight lead.

Match-winning tryscorer Scott Staniforth revealed Australia, totally outplayed in the first 40 minutes, spoke at the break about question marks over the All Blacks' mental strength.

"I suppose they haven't been in that position for a long time and it's uncharted territory for them and they didn't handle it as best they could," Staniforth told Fox Sports.

"We thought the mental state might be into it a bit in the end and they kind of folded.

"We knew we had to stay strong."

New Zealand appeared rattled as the Wallabies stormed back through Adam Ashley-Cooper's barging try on the left sideline which drew them to within two points with 15 minutes left.

Dan Carter missed a penalty he would normally kick and Aaron Mauger kicked out on the full to give the home side field position.

Staniforth, who joked he dreamed about scoring the match-winner, said the final try was a bit like "Harlem Globetrotters" with Mortlock throwing a fine hooked pass over the cover defence.

"He had a big game and I thought if I came off him I might get a try," he said.

"I was just screaming for it."

Ed - Could almost hear him!

Dear Lord, if you give us back Johnny Cash, we'll give you Justin Bieber.

Legend Contributor
    vCash
    A little off topic perhaps, but did anyone else catch John Mitchell in the per and post game wrap-ups? I thought he really came across well, although I couldn't help thinking that the professionalism of his approach still causes some confusion in those steeped in Aus rugby politics and parochialism.

vCash
    Also really enjoyed "Aussie John Mitchell" comments - yes he was a little bit paroochical but it was fun (not often you get to see any coach with a sense of humour ) - and I thought his comments were justified, insightful and revelent - I'm pretty sure that he siad something like "On paper the All Blacks are the stronger team however he wanted the Wallibies to win" when Greg Martin asked him why - he replied that it was because of Sharpie a pause then he siad Gitts
    missed Aussie John's comments at the end would love to know what he siad about Stanners preformance

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2