Poll: Lote Tuqiri

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Tuqiri banned for two matches

Legend Contributor Flamethrower's Avatar
    vCash
    Could we be that lucky??

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Posted via space

Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    I think it is a joke that a West Harbour Shute Shield match would have been considered suitable if available as one of the matches to be "missed".
    He probably wouldn't have played in it anyway and it isn't anywhere near the same level!
    Two Test Matches is the appropriate (at least!) sanction but it is only by good luck that is what he will miss.
    I wonder if it had happened after the first South African match if they would have dropped him for three matches...

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    The WTDC gave him one match, the ARU activated his suspended two. He should have to sit out three matches or whats the point of having a suspended sentence system.

Posted via space

Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    I can really see him spitting dummy after RWC and going back to mungoes

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Yeah agree Flame, not sure how 1+2=2

Lote Tuqiri's Indiscretions:

July 2005: Involved in night club spat with teammate Matt Henjak in Cape Town. Fined $500 and given a two-match suspended sentence.

January 4 2007: Sent home from an Australia training camp after failing a fitness test.

March 2 2007: Apologises for shoving New South Wales teammate Sam Norton-Knight and giving him a verbal spray for an on-field mistake.

May 14 2007: Apologises to Wallabies selector Michael O'Connor for putting him on loudspeaker during a personal conversation about Waratahs teammate Peter Hewat.

May-June 2007: Dropped from Welsh Tests to work on his speed.

July 3 2007: Banned for two matches and fined $20,000 for disciplinary reasons.

Tuqiri misses medical, Tri-Nations

By Adrian Warren
    July 03, 2007

AUSTRALIA wing Lote Tuqiri will consider a lifestyle change after he was banned for the remainder of Australia's pre-Rugby World Cup Tests in the latest chapter of a turbulent year.

Tuqiri, 27, was suspended for the coming Tri-Nations Tests against South Africa and New Zealand, and fined $20,000, following his failure to attend a team medical yesterday and a subsequent recovery session.

He was breath tested at 1.30pm yesterday afternoon, at the request of team management because he looked "a bit shattered", and his reading of .05 was above the team limit.

The team disciplinary committee of coach John Connolly, manager Phil Thompson and players Scott Staniforth and Daniel Vickerman originally decided to suspend Tuqiri for one match and impose a $20,000 fine, but their decision was referred to the Australian Rugby Union.

ARU chief executive John O'Neill decided after consulting senior management to invoke the two-match suspended sentence slapped on Tuqiri after an incident in Cape Town on July 21, 2005, when he was involved in a scuffle with teammate Matt Henjak in a nightclub.

The ban marks one of the first significant decisions made by O'Neill since he commenced his second term of office last Thursday.

O'Neill said he would have sent out a bad message if he had not applied the suspended sentence.

"For consistency's sake, application of the two-match suspended sentence had to be invoked," O'Neill said.

The final financial penalty for Tuqiri is likely to be in excess of $40,000, given that he will miss two $11,500 match fees.

The 53 Test back said he had misread his diary after having "a few quiet drinks" with some teammates and friends on Sunday evening.

"It was just a bad read by me," he said.

"I didn't read my diary properly and we've got certain standards and I failed to turn up at a timed session and I thought that it was what I'd done the day before."

Connolly said he was "comfortable" with the decision to invoke the two-game suspension, and he was adamant it wouldn't disrupt Tuqiri's Rugby World Cup preparations.

Connolly said there had been no discussion about whether Tuqiri should get match fitness in the inaugural Australian Rugby Championship starting next month.

He doubted that scenario would eventuate, but he didn't rule it out totally.

The punishment handed out today added to a catalogue of woes suffered by Tuqiri this season.

In the first week of the year, he was sent home from a Wallabies training camp after failing a fitness test.

In March, he shoved New South Wales teammate Sam Norton-Knight and verbally abused him for an on-field mistake. Tuqiri later issued a public apology to his teammate.

Tuqiri was in hot water again in May, when he broadcast on his phone loudspeaker a personal conversation with Wallabies selector Michael O'Connor fabout NSW teammate Peter Hewat. Tuqiri again had to issue a public apology.

And he missed the Tests against Wales in Sydney and Brisbane when team management had the wing working on his speed ahead of the Rugby World Cup.

"It's been a tough season, but I've got to keep my head up," Tuqiri said.

Tuqiri admitted he might have to change his lifestyle.

"It's just something I will have to look at," he said.

"There are other issues, too.

"I've got time-management issues as well."

Connolly said that Mark Gerrard would replace Tuqiri against South Africa in Sydney on Saturday, with Drew Mitchell called up to the bench.

"I feel bad," Tuqiri said.

"I've let down the fans and supporters going to (Saturday's) game.

"I'm a bit sheepish, my family, letting them down as well."

Connolly emphasised that the Wallabies had a strong senior playing group and off-field culture.

O'Neill said he had every confidence in Tuqiri bouncing back.

"These circumstances are always disappointing," O'Neill said.

"We've worked very hard to get standards of behaviour on and off the field."

Another player breath tested in the camp reported a zero reading.

Tuqiri accepted full responsibility for missing the scheduled commitments, and he was philosophical about not being reminded of them by any of his teammates.

"It comes back to me," he said.

"I take full responsibility.

"It shouldn't be in someone else hands to do something for me."

Asked whether Tuqiri had signed his new contract to remain in rugby, O'Neill said "the ink may not be dry, (but) the agreement in principal is in place".*

AAP

* That sounds vaguely familiar regarding a certain ex Force player...

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Burgs

"There are other issues, too.

"I've got time-management issues as well."

For Gods Sake. Duck down to a servo and buy a watch It's not like he can't afford it.

Posted via space

Veteran Bookie
    Contributor
    vCash
    Ive worked out how Lote thinks! 2 weeks off to work on his speed, from the Welsh tests. Now 2 weeks off to work even more on his speed for the RWC. He will be like greased lightning. He is a ejiot and the sooner he buggers off back to mungo world, the better. Also, he apparently will still train here and possibly in NZ with the Wallaby squad. Not deserved, and not a shoe in for France on past form, surely.

the punters friend..... stick with me and you will be wearing

Rookie
    vCash
    Why is it so obvious to all of us mere punters ??? Yet the Growdens of the world have him a protected species ... interesting to see how he defends this latest effort. Jesus, I don't mind a drink, but a supposedly elite athlete who can't pass .05 at 1.30pm on Monday after a Sat game? Oh but I didn't look at my diary, I didn't realise what was on today, well I sorta did but, ya know. Yes we know allright you overpaid lazy irresponsible drunk moron......... I have a suspicion if he was a WASP the penalty might be harsher.

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    But he just had "a few quite drinks" allsaints....
    Hate to be around if he went on a bender

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

Rookie
    vCash
    Exactly - his performance at the press conference wasn't good, must have made O'Neill & Connolly feel pretty uncomfortable

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    they have paraded him up in front of a press conference already?

vCash
    1. Failing a breathtest on the Monday afternoon after a Saturday evening game is inept, incompetent, naive & just plain stupid. Even woking in the booze industry, I can't turn up to work drunk!!!

2. He's done nothing during the Super 14 season with the 'Tahs and was probably only included in the Wallaby squad due to the elevated nature of his contract.....form did not dictate he should be there.

3. Hopefully, the new regime will insist that such liabilities are not an asset to Wallaby rugby & that he should be cast adrift to Mungo land. Forget the RWC, send the overpaid, prima-donna back to Mungo rugby and let someone who is passionate about the game pull on the Wallaby jersey.

CHEERLEADERS ROCK!!!

Senior Player Contributor WF2006's Avatar
    vCash
    Knob - all I can say really!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by WF2006
    Knob - all I can say really!
    Hope you're talking about Lote & not my eloquent comments!!!!!

CHEERLEADERS ROCK!!!

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    to be fair I dont think he was pissed from Sat night....they probably had a recovery session on the Sunday morning with a drink ban on the night of the game...after the recovery session they were given rest of day off and hence went and had a "few quite drinks".........

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast