Blake scores hat-trick as Connolly watches

Sunday, July 22, 2007

Rodney Blake highlighted his considerable worth with a try-scoring hat-trick today but bizarre circumstances beyond his control may have cost the Wallabies prop a World Cup prize.

Blake scored three tries in just 50 minutes, including his first after 22 seconds, as his Brisbane club side Sunnybank powered to a 40-10 preliminary final win over GPS.

With Test coach and selector John Connolly in the stands, it was a timely effort that cried out for a ticket to the World Cup just a day before Australia's 30-man squad is to be named.

But Connolly was at Ballymore most hoping to see tight-head Blake pack down at loose-head to further claims for one of four prop spots in his squad.

While the 130-kilogram 24-year-old is considered a more damaging prospect, it is Wallabies bench prop Al Baxter in line to take the final place due to his better ability to also scrummage at loose-head.

Sunnybank had agreed to a pre-meditated plan to help out Blake by switching him to loose-head when fellow Red and World Cup contender Greg Holmes was substituted, but injuries to two GPS props forced uncontested scrums.

By the time Holmes, effective and abrasive in just his third match back from shoulder surgery, was rested after 55 minutes, the set-piece had been de-powered and Connolly was on his way home.

Just to make one last reminder, Blake - sin-binned in the first half - ended a sharp Dragons movement to carry two defenders over the line for his third try and a 33-10 lead.

"I was supposed to go to loose-head but it didn't happen," said Blake, who denied World Cup selection was on his mind.

"It's all right, I'll look forward to next week and the grand final."

Ironically, Holmes, likely to win a berth ahead of Waratah loose-head Benn Robinson, felt Blake would be a shoo-in while he would struggle.

"I'm definitely happy to be back and playing but I'm a long shot for the World Cup at the moment, which is disappointing but that's life," he said.

"Rodney, he'll definitely go."

AAP